Running and burning muscle question!

Options

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Fat burning zone and fitness zone are basically myths.. Any type of cardio is going to burn muscle and fat no matter what you do, how long you do it, etc.

This can't be true for me at least! I've build muscle doing only cardio like the stair climber etc. without doing weights before!

Your not building muscle.. It takes a calorie surplus and heavy weights to build muscle.

You may be burning off the fat so the muscle shows more, but you are not building muscle by any means..

Do a fourm search for building muscle.. you'll see what i mean.

Yay, more misinformation.

Building muscle does NOT require a surplus, it requires proper nutrition, which can be achieved on a a deficit.

And heavy weights, do you know what a stair climber is? Every time you step up you're lifting the majority of your body weight, I would call that a significant weight.

Coming from the person who has 15 posts Vs The person who has 1,700..

If your so smart and I'm so misinformed, then how come you don't post anything that supports what you claim?

Like I said, do a forum search.. Read, and then realize how stupid you really sound.

Posting on an internet forum somehow makes you an expert?

And I'll skip the forum search thank you, I prefer actual research.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/362906-can-you-build-muscle-on-a-calorie-deficit/

Right... and since OP is not over weight, is not weight training consistently, and (I assume on this) not consuming that much protein stated in the article, then she's not building muscle on calorie deficit..

Nice try Sparky, but I'll go with what I've read and learned from people on the forums who have a lot more credibility in my eyes then you do

And what exactly is the OPs deficit and protein intake? I don't recall seeing it mentioned.

And all that wonderful stuff you've learned on these forums, the vast majority of it is wrong. There are a few here who know what they're talking about, but most continue to post inaccurate information and pass it off as fact, claiming to have read it here. See where this is going...

Yea I do... that you have no idea what your talking about.

I'm not debating this anymore.. I know what's true b/c it's been said over and over and over, and validated by people that are in the fitness industry on this forum.

So while you may have a fancy article, it even says that if you are relativity lean you are going to have a hard time building muscle on a calorie deficit.. and OP is pretty lean considering she's 8 pounds away from her goal weight... Which last time I checked isn't overweight like the article stated you needed to be to gain muscle on a calorie deficit.

Good night all.. and hopefully this thread gets killed shortly.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Yes you burn more fat while you exercise in the "fat burning zone" however its' been shown that the total amount of calories burned a day is more important than the actual amount of fat burned.

http://alanaragon.com/myths-under-the-microscope-the-fat-burning-zone-fasted-cardio.html

" In long-term studies, both linear high-intensity and HIIT training is superior to lower intensities on the whole for maintaining and/or increasing cardiovascular fitness & lean mass, and are at least as effective, and according to some research, far better at reducing bodyfat."

http://www.prevention.com/health/fitness/cardio/aerobic-exercises-and-fat-burning/article/9f3868f271903110VgnVCM10000013281eac____/

"It's true that the body burns a higher percentage of calories from fat during more mellow exercise like walking and easy cycling. But, when you pick up the pace for a higher-intensity cardio workout, you burn a greater number of overall calories (which should be your focus for weight loss) and subsequently just as much total fat."
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    OP: anytime you are on a calorie deficit you will probably burn muscle along with fat. So if you are running on a calorie deficit you will probably burn some muscle. Strength training and eating enough protien (1 gram for every gram of lean body mass) will limit this as much as possible.
  • Kimblesnbits
    Kimblesnbits Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Fat burning zone and fitness zone are basically myths.. Any type of cardio is going to burn muscle and fat no matter what you do, how long you do it, etc.

This can't be true for me at least! I've build muscle doing only cardio like the stair climber etc. without doing weights before!

Your not building muscle.. It takes a calorie surplus and heavy weights to build muscle.

You may be burning off the fat so the muscle shows more, but you are not building muscle by any means..

Building muscle does NOT require a surplus, it requires proper nutrition, which can be achieved on a a deficit.

And heavy weights, do you know what a stair climber is? Every time you step up you're lifting the majority of your body weight, I would call that a significant weight.

If your so smart and I'm so misinformed, then how come you don't post anything that supports what you claim?

Like I said, do a forum search.. Read, and then realize how stupid you really sound.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/362906-can-you-build-muscle-on-a-calorie-deficit/

Right... and since OP is not over weight, is not weight training consistently, and (I assume on this) not consuming that much protein stated in the article, then she's not building muscle on calorie deficit..

Nice try Sparky, but I'll go with what I've read and learned from people on the forums who have a lot more credibility in my eyes then you do

And what exactly is the OPs deficit and protein intake? I don't recall seeing it mentioned.

And all that wonderful stuff you've learned on these forums, the vast majority of it is wrong. There are a few here who know what they're talking about, but most continue to post inaccurate information and pass it off as fact, claiming to have read it here. See where this is going...

Eew I was NEVER nasty to you so why would you hope my thread gets killed shortly? I'd like as much info as possible and thanks for answering my question before...Which you clearly did not see.
  • Kimblesnbits
    Options
    OP: anytime you are on a calorie deficit you will probably burn muscle along with fat. So if you are running on a calorie deficit you will probably burn some muscle. Strength training and eating enough protien (1 gram for every gram of lean body mass) will limit this as much as possible.
    Thanks for the info!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I think your question is ecxeptionally hard to answer. We don't know your exertion level during these runs, and we don't know how you're fueling your body (both generally and during the run).

As others have said, speaking VERY generally, if you are losing weight you are more than likely losing a combination of fat and muscle. Getting plenty of protein will help limit the amout of muscle lost.
  • Edithrenee
    Edithrenee Posts: 546 Member
    Options

Eew I was NEVER nasty to you so why would you hope my thread gets killed shortly? I'd like as much info as possible and thanks for answering my question before...Which you clearly did not see.
    Hmm you still didnt get the answer you needed did you? lol I wanted to know to, I to run and do step aerobics and weight train two times a week. lol oh well hope someone will come by and put something that is nto so hard to read back and forth like a tennis game
  • JRhinoC
    Options
    Hmm you still didnt get the answer you needed did you? lol I wanted to know to, I to run and do step aerobics and weight train two times a week. lol oh well hope someone will come by and put something that is nto so hard to read back and forth like a tennis game

The question has been partially answered already, it depends on your diet. Specifically the nutritional aspect of your diet. There isn't really a specific time/distance answer.
  • Kimblesnbits
    Options

The question has been partially answered already, it depends on your diet. Specifically the nutritional aspect of your diet. There isn't really a specific time/distance answer.

Ok that answers it also because I thought maybe there'd be a time or distance when you'd start burning muscle. I'm still new to all this so please excuse me! :) thanks for the info!
  • JRhinoC
    Options

Ok that answers it also because I thought maybe there'd be a time or distance when you'd start burning muscle. I'm still new to all this so please excuse me! :) thanks for the info!

Not a problem. The information is actually fairly straight forward and easy to find, you just need to go find it (and then find evidence to back it up). The issue is misinformation, commonly referred to as broscience, or flat out myth (hence my little tirade earlier). The problem is that not only can misinformation hinder progress, it can be very dangerous, depending on the circumstances.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

A lot of the disputes are due to semantics and lack of common terms.

First of all, increases in "lean body mass" do not always involve an increase in actual muscle mass. Someone using a body comp scale or skinfolds can measure a decrease in fat which suggests an increase in lean body mass, but you don't know how much of that is actual muscle.

Obese beginners can increase muscle mass while on a deficit, at least initially. It's not going to be a huge amount and it will taper off. Sustained and substantial increases in actual muscle mass do require a calorie surplus. That's not really a hypothesis.

Aerobic exercise, even a stairmaster, does not have enough resistance to significantly increased muscle mass. Exercise principles cannot be selectively applied. If standard resistance training protocols call for the lifter to achieve muscle "failure" in fewer than 20 repetitions, it is physiologically impossible to see the same significant increases performing muscle activities for hundreds or thousands of repetitions.

Again, when taking up a new exercise, adaptation will occur to meet the demands of the activity (principle of training specificity). For an untrained person, that adaptation may result in noticeable strength improvement compared to when they were sedentary. So, technically, that cardio exercise will "increase strength". However, the increase will only continue until the body has adapted to the activity--normally a transient effect. You will not, cannot, see sustained increases in either muscle strength or muscle mass doing only traditional cardio exercises.
  • Azdak
    Options
    How long do you have to run before burning muscle? Or what kind of distance will burn muscle and not fat? Thanks!

You won't "burn muscle". While engaging in extended aerobic activity, the percentage of energy derived from amino acids will increase--maybe up to 15% of current calories burned. However, just like muscle glycogen, fluids, etc, what is used during exercise is easily replaced in your diet.

It is recommended that endurance athletes -- not even necessarily recreational runners--consume between 1.4 g and 1.8 g of protein per kilogram of body weight per day (look for research by Peter Lemon). One of the reasons for the higher amount is that endurance athletes (emphasis) have relatively smaller total body masses than, say, powerlifters.

The fuel you burn during a workout session -- fat, carbohydrate, amino acid-- is not permanently "lost". There is this preoccupation with exercise fuel substrates that has gone beyond absurd.

This has come up all too often before. One night just for fun, I used by android Pub Med app, and, sitting on my couch watching NCIS reruns, found at least half a dozen studies in about 15 minutes that showed that, with adequate protein intake, endurance athletes performing 60-150 minute aerobic workouts at higher intensities 3-5 times per week never went into nitrogen deficit--as long as protein intake was adequate (see above).

It's really a non-issue.
  • adross3
    adross3 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    These science people are dogmatic fascists. Why would your body consume your fat or muscle. A: fuel source. What is your bodies first eaten food source. A: glucose what food turn into glucose. Meat. A:amino acids. Building blocks of muscle. Fat. A: fatty acids. Carbs. A: Glucose. Glucose turn into glycogen or fat. Glucose fuels your brain and muscle function. Hence the right combinations of protein, Ccarbs and fat before a workout fuels your muscles and brain to perform and grow.

Hey dogmatic scientist. Blah, blah and blah.

I agree with azdak
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

First of all, increases in "lean body mass" do not always involve an increase in actual muscle mass. Someone using a body comp scale or skinfolds can measure a decrease in fat which suggests an increase in lean body mass, but you don't know how much of that is actual muscle.

Obese beginners can increase muscle mass while on a deficit, at least initially. It's not going to be a huge amount and it will taper off. Sustained and substantial increases in actual muscle mass do require a calorie surplus. That's not really a hypothesis.

Aerobic exercise, even a stairmaster, does not have enough resistance to significantly increased muscle mass. Exercise principles cannot be selectively applied. If standard resistance training protocols call for the lifter to achieve muscle "failure" in fewer than 20 repetitions, it is physiologically impossible to see the same significant increases performing muscle activities for hundreds or thousands of repetitions.

Again, when taking up a new exercise, adaptation will occur to meet the demands of the activity (principle of training specificity). For an untrained person, that adaptation may result in noticeable strength improvement compared to when they were sedentary. So, technically, that cardio exercise will "increase strength". However, the increase will only continue until the body has adapted to the activity--normally a transient effect. You will not, cannot, see sustained increases in either muscle strength or muscle mass doing only traditional cardio exercises.

^ Well done sir.
  • Azdak
    Options
    No studies, just experience. But as someone who runs and lifts for size I don't think you have anything to worry about as long as you continue to lift heavy, eat enough protein, get enough rest, aren't in a major calorie deficit and aren't doing enormous amounts of running.

I can't see any problems with running for 60 minutes or more 3-4 times a week as long as the above factors are borne in mind. Now maybe if you were training for a marathon, things may be different. But sometimes I think we can all get too wrapped up in the minutiae of research studies and start worrying about factors that are really insignificant to our progress as non-athletes. Let's face it, 99% of the people on this site are "keep-fitters." What applies to us is very different to what applies to pro-athletes. If you were running ten + miles a time at 6 minute mile pace or something, then yes - maybe you'd be losing muscle. But for those of us who just hit the weights hard then venture out for a 5 mile run a few times a week, I really don't think it's an issue.

You are correct in principle, but even your last example is not really relevant (I am saying this to further support your point).

First of all, why would anyone who was trying to "build muscle" ever run 10+ miles at a time? And, to use weight loss as a reference, I don't know of anyone who was serious ever recommending that someone run 10+ miles as part of a weight loss program. So, IMO, even using that as an example (again, I understand why you did it) is irrelevant.

Someone who is running mega distances is going to adapt to improve performance in that area. Extra bulk doesn't enhance performance, so someone doing those kinds of distances would likely want to decrease overall mass anyhow. It's not like they are sitting home saying "damn, I really want to look like Arnold--what am I doing wrong??". Elite marathoners look scrawny because THAT'S WHAT IT TAKES TO WIN. So do competitive rock climbers. I have never seen anyone claim that excessive rock climbing 'burns muscle".

If you look at different athletes --eg triathletes--you will see a different adaptation. There, muscle strength plays a more important role. Professional triathletes do as much if not more aerobic endurance training as marathoners--if large volumes of endurance training "burns muscle", they should look like scarecrows also--but they don't.

Sometimes people get all caught up in disputing the minutiae of these subjects hypothetically, when the basic research, physiological concepts, and reality are right there in front of them.
  • Azdak
    Options
    These science people are dogmatic fascists. Why would your body consume your fat or muscle. A: fuel source. What is your bodies first eaten food source. A: glucose what food turn into glucose. Meat. A:amino acids. Building blocks of muscle. Fat. A: fatty acids. Carbs. A: Glucose. Glucose turn into glycogen or fat. Glucose fuels your brain and muscle function. Hence the right combinations of protein, Ccarbs and fat before a workout fuels your muscles and brain to perform and grow.

Hey dogmatic scientist. Blah, blah and blah.

I agree with azdak

Hmm....since a consider myself a "scientist", I'm not sure how to take this...but "thanks".....I guess :laugh:
  • JRhinoC
    Options

I won't argue that, my issue is with absolutes and over generalizations. Saying it's impossible is simply wrong. Extremely difficult, but not impossible.

As you mentioned, obese (very unfit) individuals will likely see largest increase in muscle mass while in a deficit because they have the room to build, the body likely contains the bulk of the nutrients needed, and they have more time before their body becomes acclimated to the exercise.

What I don't necessarily agree with is the lack of sustainability. Muscle growth can be sustained, albeit at a very diminished rate, while maintaining a deficit. Although it requires an extremely strict diet and a minimal deficit, and enough stores still on the body for the body to utilize those stores as needed. Not likely without professional supervision, but still possible.

As far as strength building from cardio, you're correct, it's not going to happen. However, there is a point at the beginning of an exercise program where the muscle has to increase to a point that it can sustain the activity. In those initial stages, "building muscle" is not only possible, but likely, albeit for a very short time.

My comment about the stair climber was directed towards the individual initially beginning a stair climber routine, and the overall weight of the human body being used as resistance. While the stair climber is a cardio exercise by design, it does require a significant level of strength to sustain.
  • Azdak
    Options

I weight train about 2 times a week (probably not "consistently" enough to some people?) and run about 5 to 6 times a week 3 to 4.5 miles per run, am I burning muscle or fat?!

You are burning calories. The rest sorts itself out as long as you are eating properly. At rest and during activity you are always burning a mixture a fuel substrates--mostly carbohydrates and fats. Amino acids are not that relevant unless you are at farther extremes in your training. In your case, it is absolutely not worth spending any energy or time thinking about it.
  • Azdak
    Options

I won't argue that, my issue is with absolutes and over generalizations. Saying it's impossible is simply wrong. Extremely difficult, but not impossible.

As you mentioned, obese (very unfit) individuals will likely see largest increase in muscle mass while in a deficit because they have the room to build, the body likely contains the bulk of the nutrients needed, and they have more time before their body becomes acclimated to the exercise.

What I don't necessarily agree with is the lack of sustainability. Muscle growth can be sustained, albeit at a very diminished rate, while maintaining a deficit. Although it requires an extremely strict diet and a minimal deficit, and enough stores still on the body for the body to utilize those stores as needed. Not likely without professional supervision, but still possible.

As far as strength building from cardio, you're correct, it's not going to happen. However, there is a point at the beginning of an exercise program where the muscle has to increase to a point that it can sustain the activity. In those initial stages, "building muscle" is not only possible, but likely, albeit for a very short time.

My comment about the stair climber was directed towards the individual initially beginning a stair climber routine, and the overall weight of the human body being used as resistance. While the stair climber is a cardio exercise by design, it does require a significant level of strength to sustain.

Well, the National Strength and Conditioning Association would disagree with a number of your assertions, but they are just a bunch of "dogmatic scientists", so what do they know........

Without explaining the larger meaning, using a term such as "building muscle" in the context of the initial adaptation to a new cardio exercise is misleading. I explained pretty clearly the issues involved with cardio exercise building "strength". It seem like you are using the phrase "building muscle" as though it is applicable to the same degree in all situations.

While, by strict definition, it is technically possible for an untrained person starting a cardio program to "build muscle", that does not compare, nor is it equivalent in any way to what is commonly accepted as "building muscle" through a resistance training program.

And, again, while there is an initial adaptation to the demands of doing a stairclimber, that exercise, like any exercise that primarily aerobic in nature, does not require "a significant level of strength". It requires an "adequate" level of strength that may or may not represent a significant improvement to a specific individual, based on their initial level of conditioning.

And, finally, increasing strength is not the same as increasing muscle. People can realize substantial increases in muscular strength with only modest increases in muscle mass. Someone in a calorie deficit can still continue to significantly increase strength, even if there is little or not increase in mass--at least for awhile.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I feel so bad for the person that posted this.l