Asparagus... what to do with it?

Options
Learning2LoveMe
Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
I want to try asparagus... I don't believe I've ever had it before.

So, what is your favorite way to cook/eat it?

Replies

• poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Baked in olive oil with minced garlic....get fresh or frozen.....canned tastes like mush!!!!!! It is also good in cheesy eggs!
  • mmocarr
    mmocarr Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Grilled asparagus is to die for but unless you have a grill pan or live somewhere very different from me, haha weather doesn't support that. Tonight I roasted asparagus and added to to a vegetable whole wheat pasta. It also had spinach, red bell pepper and chicken sausage. Pretty good if you ask me :)
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Spray with some olive oil, coat in garlic and parmesan cheese, cook at400 degrees for about 15 minutes. Nomtastic.
  • tiptoeketo
    tiptoeketo Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    You have to eat it fresh, and my favorite is on the BBQ.

Brush with olive oil, salt and pepper. Grill until tendercrisp, approx 2 mins on each side. (Don't skip the olive oil because it keeps them juicy and crisp)
  • Circa1964
    Circa1964 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Buy fresh asparagus. Cut the last few inches off and discard. Then heat up saute pan with half butter and half olive oil. Toss around the asparagus in the butter/oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook for less than 5 minues. It should have a little crispness, not too soft. Drain on a paper towel. Enjoy. P.S. Your urine will smell bad for half a day or so, it's harmless.
  • littlesis412
    littlesis412 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    My mother puts Italian dressing on them and grills or cooks them on the stove. Oh, and fresh is WAY better. Especially if you know someone that grows it :)
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    broil for 3 min and then chop in 1/2 inch pieces and make a salad...add grape tomatoes parm cheese red onion corn or whatever...chill serve cold....saw on Food Network but I add what veggies and a mustard vinaigrette.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I eat asparagus almost every day. Love it! I prefer the thin stalks to the thick ones. You have to chop off about 3 inches or so off the bottom of the stalks (the woody part). Asparagus is done in only about 5-10 minutes. Cook only until bright green; don't overcook (I personally prefer it crunchy).

1. GRILL: You do need a grill pan. Place pan on the grill and preheat to med at least 5-10 min. After removing woody bottoms, chop asparagus stalks in half. Toss with a bit of oil (I use grapeseed) and sprinkled seasoning -- tonight I used Adobo, but sometimes Lemon Pepper, etc. Place on preheated grill pan, medium heat 5-7 minutes, stirring once.

2. BROILED WITH FRESH TARRAGON: Preheat oven to 450. chop woody bottom off stalks; lay out in single layer on cookie sheet. Tear off tarragon leaves and sprinkle on top. Spray with non-fat cooking spray and sprinkle with butter buds (or similar). Broil 5-10 min, depending on how much char you like.

3. SAUTEED WITH ONIONS AND SWEET POTATO / YAM: Peel and slice 1 large yam in half, then make thin slices (1/2 moon shape). Heat oil (I use grapeseed) over medium heat in a large fry pan; add yam and 1 chopped onion. Stir several times, and cover. Saute for about 5-7 minutes, then add chopped asparagus, stir, re-cover and continue to cook another 5 minutes or until yam is tender.

4. STEAMED: (I personally do not like it this way, but many people do). Place a steamer basket inside of pot with a few inches of boiling water. Place prepared asparagus (bottoms removed) into basket, cover. Steam 5 min. Toss with butter.

5. WITH SCRAMBLED EGGS: get everything ready first before putting anything in the pan. 2 eggs + a bit of water, whisked, chopped onion, bell pepper, tomatoes (whatever veggies) and of course asparagus. Melt 1 tsp. butter in fry pan over med heat. Add onions and peppers and saute until tender. Add everything else, stir until eggs are cooked, cover and leave to steam about a minute. I often add in 1/4 cup of salsa or marinara sauce.

Enjoy!
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    Buy fresh asparagus. Cut the last few inches off and discard. Then heat up saute pan with half butter and half olive oil. Toss around the asparagus in the butter/oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook for less than 5 minues. It should have a little crispness, not too soft. Drain on a paper towel. Enjoy. P.S. Your urine will smell bad for half a day or so, it's harmless.

Haha yes, asparagus pee-pee smells gross.
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    I had roasted asparagus with prosciutto and pecorino romano cheese at Sammy's Woodfired Pizza. It was spectacular. I assume they used olive oil and roasted it in the woodfiring oven. mmmmmmm
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I like to make little racks by lining them up and putting skewers through them and grilling like that on the barbeque, put lemon juice on before serving.

Or, baking with lemon juice and parmessan.

GG
  • MîîśÊmÿłõü
    MîîśÊmÿłõü Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I'm boring but I love it just quickly steamed (about 2,5 mins) and have it like that, still has abit of crunch but it's tasty :)
  • bens_mommy
    Options
    Grilled asparagus is to die for but unless you have a grill pan or live somewhere very different from me, haha weather doesn't support that. Tonight I roasted asparagus and added to to a vegetable whole wheat pasta. It also had spinach, red bell pepper and chicken sausage. Pretty good if you ask me :)

Oh my gosh that sounds so yummy!
  • SahmReviews
    SahmReviews Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    First time around, you need to get fresh. It makes all the difference.

Thin stalks are typically more tender. The best way to figure how much to cut off the bottom is to pick up the piece and bend it near the bottom. It will have a natural break point and just snap. No knife required.

I agree that olive oil and minced garlic, grilled, is the tastiest. Just toss it all in a ziploc, sake, dump onto foil and pop on the grill.

If you are a salad person, it is super tasty raw. Just slice it thin, don't cook it and add it to your garden salad. If you've ever had raw peas, it's pretty similar. I love eating it straight from the garden!
  • Xtina_Beba
    Options
    Grill it with grapeseed oil or spanish extra virgin olive oil
    Steamed it and add lemon or garlic salt

I usually pair it with fish or scrambled egg whites
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    BUMP

for all the new ways I want to try my asparagus. YUM!
  • annameier8706
    annameier8706 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Marinate it with salt, pepper, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, chopped garlic, and chopped shallot (or onion). Then grill it till bright green and tender.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Fresh, trimmed and washed. Toss in 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil along with 2 minced garlic cloves and 1 cup of sliced mushrooms. Spread on a tinfoiled cookie sheet, sprinkle lightly with salt and black pepper and roast at 400 degrees until desired consistency. I just made these again tonight, so yum!
  • lq022
    lq022 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I didn't read through everyone elses suggestions, so this might be a repeat. But I like to put the asparagus with just enough chicken stock (or vegetable stock) to come halfway up the asparagus (sooo like 2 or 3 inches) in a sautee pan, and just let it go. They'll start to become bright green (and still kinda crispy) ... depending how tender you want them, cook for like 3 or 4 minutes for crispy, and about 7 minutes for a bit softer. Then, hit em with some lemon juice and a little S&P if it needs it ... they;re soooo good!
  • amybrauch
    amybrauch Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I steam it w/ olive oil & sea salt or some greek seasoning.