Kickboxing

Options
I've seen several posts about people doing kickboxing... is this a good means for weight loss compared to other methods such as Zumba?

Replies

• Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I think it's good to get in a mix of cardio and weight training without having to take multiple classes - most gyms emphasize the cardio side a little too much, though.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    I would love to learn kickboxing, if I could afford a gym membership and classes! It would be so fun! :)
  • ashleighjoy2007
    ashleighjoy2007 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Try Turbo Jam! Its a combination of Kickboxing and dancing, its a blast =]
  • kanonxbou47
    kanonxbou47 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Kickboxing is GREAT. It's an incredible workout, I'd definitely recommend it.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Kickboxing is a good workout. I love Tae Bo.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    TURBO FIRE!!!!!!!!!!! :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • MrsPhan11
    MrsPhan11 Posts: 2,502 Member
    Options
    Kickboxing is a great workout! For me, I get a way better workout with Kickboxing then zumba. I burn an average of 500 calories vs. 300 in Zumba. I do love both tho!
  • RuchMathers
    RuchMathers Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend kickboxing! i love it!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Billy Blanks' Tae Bo is a blast, and according to this site burns way more calories than JM30DS. I get mine from the library and its free and no commitment. Wouldn't hurt to take a look!
  • N_BEAST_MODE_24_7
    N_BEAST_MODE_24_7 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I teach boxing classes for cardio, and we burn a lot of cardio.... jumping rope, weights training, sit-ups with medicine balls, and boxing drills, etc etc... so I guess kickboxing would be the same or even more..
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba -- and I love Kickboxing --- at our gym, its also set to music but it's a mix of cardio, kickboxing and strength training.
    I also do soul grooves, step, spin, strictly strength, 50/50 --- if you have a LifeTime Fitness hnear you and you love group fitness classes -- its well worth the money.

EDIT: PS ANYTHING that gets your butt of the couch is a good method to help your waitloss. Even just plain old walking works wonders.
  • laylina
    Options
    turbo jam and turbo fire :heart:
  • lee3978
    lee3978 Posts: 274
    Options
    I need a bag. I cannot and will not kick air. lol
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I seriously miss the kickboxing classes that I took all through college. So much fun...an awesome calorie burn...and well, I enjoy kicking butt.

Since I can't afford both a gym membership and kickboxing anymore, I settle for "cardio kickboxing" and "Turbo Kick." It's based on kickboxing, but obviously made just for cardio. I personally love these classes because even though you don't need weird cardio classes to burn calories, these are just fun and appeal to me since I used to take the real thing.

When I am counting exercise calories, I have honestly burned more from Turbo Kick (or other cardio kickboxing) than Insanity, Zumba, running, etc. I try to get in at least one class a week both for the enjoyment and the calorie burn.
  • taniam16
    taniam16 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I LOVE kickboxing (muay thai) I think its a great combination of cardio and strength without being too repetitive. Find a gym you like and you will definitely feel a hunger to go every day of the week.

I can easily say that after an hour of kickboxing i feel like I've had fun and completed a hobby rather than a choir. If you look hard you'll find a gym with a proper weights and cardio area you can utilize along with your workout. And if you're like me then there will be some serious eye candy there too you can enjoy ;)

Any form of martial arts will be something you enjoy but kickboxing is my pick :)

WOO! lol
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Taebo and cardio kickboxing hold no candle to kickboxing classes wear you get to use gloves and a bag. The workout is much harder and since it's more HIIT related, the rise in RMR is more significant.
  • Xtina_Beba
    Options
    I think you should definitely try kickboxing and mix up your cardio. :)
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Martial Arts are fantastic. Hitting things burns calories. Simplistic answer yes but it's the truth =)
  • ali139
    ali139 Posts: 17
    Options
    Kickboxing is great! My trainer started doing some kickboxing with me once a week and I love it so much! It's not easy but a lot of fun It's my favourite cardio workout and great stress relief.