Will eating alot of protein make me fat if i dont do anymore

Seriously dumb question? But I'd like to know .... I was raw,vegan but for health reasons need to add protein back in.... So if i do high protein will i get fat now? I want to loose a couple of kg....

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    It's not any one macro that will cause your body to store fat; it's eating above your TDEE. If you're eating at a deficit this won't happen.
  • cirellim
    cirellim Posts: 269
    Only if eating that protein puts you over your daily caloric maintenance level. So long as you're staying under that you can eat whatever you'd like and continue to shed pounds.
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    As long as you're basically healthy, it's really a lot more about number of calories than of what those calories consist. Protein will not make you gain weight in and of itself. All of the discussion about how much protein/carbs/fat has much more to do with fitness (muscle maintenance/growth) and athletic performance than about losing or gaining weight. If your calories in are less than your calories spent, then you will lose weight.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    What makes you gain weight is eating too many calories.

I drink 2-3 protein shakes a day, I track them as calories just like I do food.
    I aim for 120-150g or protein a day and try to keep my carbs around 80-100g of good carbs.
    It works for me.
  • tanya54727
    tanya54727 Posts: 16 Member
    Protien is the building block of muscle and the more muscle burns more calories. I would be more concerned if I was adding more carbs. Just keep things balanced. My Dr has me making sure I get 70 grams of protien a day and I have lost 84 lbs in less than 7 months.
  • bella8282
    bella8282 Posts: 188 Member
    I guess i am just worried because the change in diet... from not much protein and not animal protein either. To lots of (in my opinion) I've cut carbs right down...

and the other problem is I have Anorexia... I'm in "recovery" so to speak but I'm freaking out. i understand alot about nutrition and how calories work ( a little too much)

Just worried that my body will store this new addition to my eating plan!! hmmm :(
  • bella8282
    Thank you all for your responses too... :) appreciate it
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    I guess i am just worried because the change in diet... from not much protein and not animal protein either. To lots of (in my opinion) I've cut carbs right down...

and the other problem is I have Anorexia... I'm in "recovery" so to speak but I'm freaking out. i understand alot about nutrition and how calories work ( a little too much)

Just worried that my body will store this new addition to my eating plan!! hmmm :(
    It will be just fine. Protein is what makes you feel full, along with fiber. Protein helps muscles recover. It's a great thing.
  • bella8282
    Thank you, Your reply ment alot :) been freaking out a bit... but i am trying so hard!! Thank you!!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    I don't think it's the protein that will make you fat, but if you go over your calorie goals then yes you will gain weight.

My other deal is, I'm mildly lactose intolerant... so when I first started taking my protein powder, I didn't realize it came from dairy products, mixed it in milk like it told me, and got super bloated/sick from it. So word to the wise, if you have issues with dairy and your taking protein powder, stick in soy milk.. your digestive system will thank you.
  • bella8282
    I don't think it's the protein that will make you fat, but if you go over your calorie goals then yes you will gain weight.

My other deal is, I'm mildly lactose intolerant... so when I first started taking my protein powder, I didn't realize it came from dairy products, mixed it in milk like it told me, and got super bloated/sick from it. So word to the wise, if you have issues with dairy and your taking protein powder, stick in soy milk.. your digestive system will thank you.

I am on soy Protein. Have had no issue's with normal protein powders in the past though. Soy by choice from being Vegan...

I understand that i'd have to go over my cal. Trust me i never do, as i said in previous post I am in "recovery" from anorexia.

Thank you for replying:smile:
  • bella8282

It will be just fine. Protein is what makes you feel full, along with fiber. Protein helps muscles recover. It's a great thing.

Thank you, Your reply ment alot :) been freaking out a bit... but i am trying so hard!! Thank you!!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Seriously dumb question? But I'd like to know .... I was raw,vegan but for health reasons need to add protein back in.... So if i do high protein will i get fat now? I want to loose a couple of kg....
    I'm sorry to be getting in your business like this. Not trying to attack you in any way. But are your photos current? If so I'm a little worried about you losing any weight at all.
  • ninjapixie87
    ninjapixie87 Posts: 124 Member
    Have you discussed your diet change with a doctor? And how long have you been a vegan?

The reason I ask is because I know that going from eating no meat to suddenly eating meat can make you sick because your digestive system isn't used to handling it anymore. Your doctor may have suggestions for how to ease meat back into your diet without making you sick.

Edit: Just realised I might have misunderstood your posts. Are you trying to add more protein to your diet while still remaining a vegan?
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member

Not all proteins are from dairy. Whey protein is from milk, but if you are lactose intolerant, there are soy proteins and hemp proteins.
  • bella8282
    I'm sorry to be getting in your business like this. Not trying to attack you in any way. But are your photos current? If so I'm a little worried about you losing any weight at all.

No, that's ok. I understand your concern, thank you! I use MFP at the Recomendation of my doctor and psycologist etc...
    I have been gradually trying to include protein into my diet to help repair some damage.
    I will always say i want to loose weight... because when i look at myself that's what i see needs to be done ( body dismorphia)
    I know I can't loose any and i have weekly weigh in's... so dont stress your self :) If i lost anything I'd be in big trouble from the DR. but.... I can't gain...right now.... if i do then It will make me go a little nutty..

thank you so much for your concern though. appreciate it :smile:
  • bella8282
    Have you discussed your diet change with a doctor? And how long have you been a vegan?

The reason I ask is because I know that going from eating no meat to suddenly eating meat can make you sick because your digestive system isn't used to handling it anymore. Your doctor may have suggestions for how to ease meat back into your diet without making you sick.

Edit: Just realised I might have misunderstood your posts. Are you trying to add more protein to your diet while still remaining a vegan?

Hi, I am introducing Protein with my dr. guidence :) started with half dose of protein shake (soy) in water a day... then a bit of tuna or salmon... now on some egg's. all in fairy small quantities.
    All up i'm consuming roughly 60g protein a day in varied form's. and feel ok, thank you :)
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Couldn't quite tell from your posts, but if you're interested in eating more protein while still living a vegan lifestyle, soy isn't your only option. Tofu, tempeh, seitan, legumes, and protein powder (True Protein makes a great pea/brown rice blend!) are all great sources of protein!
  • bella8282
    I would prefer to stay vegan... but i think it's the "good" fats in eggs and fish that was also needed ..... mind... ive been cheating and only eating egg white's as i just cant bring my self to eat the yolk.
    had a couple of brazil nuts today - who knew they were a "complete" protein.... i'm freaked out by the high fat content though :(
  • bella8282
    Couldn't quite tell from your posts, but if you're interested in eating more protein while still living a vegan lifestyle, soy isn't your only option. Tofu, tempeh, seitan, legumes, and protein powder (True Protein makes a great pea/brown rice blend!) are all great sources of protein!

oh and i've been vegan for 3 years, vegetaran for 2 years before that and pescitarian for about 4 year before that... I will never eat any "meat" from land animals... i refuse!! Fish and eggs is as far as i will go... :\

Thanx again for your advice.... what is setian? :)