Running and burning muscle question!

Options
13»

Replies

• JRhinoC
    Options
    Well, the National Strength and Conditioning Association would disagree with a number of your assertions, but they are just a bunch of "dogmatic scientists", so what do they know........

Without explaining the larger meaning, using a term such as "building muscle" in the context of the initial adaptation to a new cardio exercise is misleading. I explained pretty clearly the issues involved with cardio exercise building "strength". It seem like you are using the phrase "building muscle" as though it is applicable to the same degree in all situations.

While, by strict definition, it is technically possible for an untrained person starting a cardio program to "build muscle", that does not compare, nor is it equivalent in any way to what is commonly accepted as "building muscle" through a resistance training program.

And, again, while there is an initial adaptation to the demands of doing a stairclimber, that exercise, like any exercise that primarily aerobic in nature, does not require "a significant level of strength". It requires an "adequate" level of strength that may or may not represent a significant improvement to a specific individual, based on their initial level of conditioning.

And, finally, increasing strength is not the same as increasing muscle. People can realize substantial increases in muscular strength with only modest increases in muscle mass. Someone in a calorie deficit can still continue to significantly increase strength, even if there is little or not increase in mass--at least for awhile.

I'm not in the industry so I'm sure I'm not using terms to their scientific definition, only how they were taught to me. However, I think we're arguing mostly semantics.

And the "dogmatic scientists' quip came from someone else.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    And, finally, increasing strength is not the same as increasing muscle. People can realize substantial increases in muscular strength with only modest increases in muscle mass. Someone in a calorie deficit can still continue to significantly increase strength, even if there is little or not increase in mass--at least for awhile.

+1

Thank you for this. I honestly believe that one major disconnect that people have with understanding the whole "building muscle" issue is that they equate getting stronger with gaining muscle.

I am on a calorie deficit for fat loss right now. I lift heavy 3 days a week and do cardio 5 days a week. I have gained a huge amount of strength between September 17 and today (I say that particular day cause that's when I started going to the gym instead of doing workouts at home). But, I haven't gained muscle...I've lost size all over because I am losing fat, and if I had gained muscle then I would be bigger, or at least the increased muscle size would have cancelled out the decrease in fat so I wouldn't have changed at all. But that's not the case. Just because I increased my barbell squats from 45 pounds to 115 pounds during that time does not mean that my quads "gained muscle" it just means they "gained strength" by activating more muscle fibers that I already had.

You can't build something without having the materials to do it. I don't give my body the materials it needs to build muscle while eating just 1500 calories a day. After I finish cutting, I may decide to bulk to actually gain muscle which entails eating more...but I will have to see what I look like after this cut before I decide.
  • drivermarshy
    Options
    what was the question??? lol

im no expert but will give ya my oppinion from results im seeing. i do 45 min stength training then 15 mins cascades on the treadmill, a run of between 1-3 miles a day (always 1 mile but longer every other day as a rule), 12 mins on crosstrainer (30 secs slow, 30 secs all out repeated) at a level that has now increased from 4 to 10. basically ive found that as the months have gone on, the cardio has gotten easier so i up the intensity.... the results ive seen is 40odd pounds lost, lost loads of inches from most areas but now my legs are biggining to grow... but while they look slimmer ive obviously gained sommin there. i have a PT instructor who said as the legs are biggesr muscle group its hardly a bad thing at this stage as it'll be burning more cals at rest. food wise i eat very high clean protein most meals. cheat meal every other week. feel free to add me as a friend x

edit - forgot to add my daily intake varies from 1400-1900 cals most days
  • Kimblesnbits
    Kimblesnbits Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I feel so bad for the person that posted this.l

I didn't think it'd get THIS complex!
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I'm an ultra runner. I run a bit more than most. According to teh internetz I should have disappeared into thin air by now. I'm still waiting.