Just started couch to 5k program and am so sore

If this just because of all the excess weight. My back is killing me even though I wore 2 sports bras. I won't stop and will be doing it again tomorrow but I am just curious if this is normal. I run my 5k March 3rd.

Replies

• spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    I had the same back problem, and I realized that when I get tired after running for a while I start to slouch. Pick a point on the horizon and follow it with your eyes, it will help you stay straighter when you run.

Congrats on starting! That is super awesome. Keep at it, the soreness will get better.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Started yesterday. Oh yeah, I'm a little sore, but now I think it's doable
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Try to stretch it out as much as you can. Are you leaning forward? Try to lean at about a three degree angle - no more - and see if that helps at all!
  • gbelltx
    gbelltx Posts: 142
    Great job to all of you!!! I love the the 5k program!! Continued success, make sure you have a good pair of shoes and you allow time for rest. You got this!!
  • meg0013
    meg0013 Posts: 102
    it's normal to be sore. stick with it! i started c25k in the spring and i ran my first 10k this weekend in 56 minutes. you'll be a runner before you know it!
  • KatieCuth
    KatieCuth Posts: 569 Member
    it's normal to be sore. stick with it! i started c25k in the spring and i ran my first 10k this weekend in 56 minutes. you'll be a runner before you know it!

Well done to you....
  • I would agree with the slouching (but then again I don't really know how you're running hehe), a nice long term help for the slouch though is at least 2 times a day or more clasp your hand behind your back and pull them down and squeeze your shoulder blades lightly together like you are stretching your chest out. It's pain free and helps slowly strengthen your back posture. Hope this helps (or even made sense) Happy training for the 5k!
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Thanks everybody! I am having trouble but I will succeed. I will keep those tips in mind in the morning. I will play through the moderate pain. Hoping to double my attempt tomorrow. (I was only able to run 3 minutes today but considering I weigh close to 300 lbs, it was a good start)
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Also remember that you don't have to run FAST. I started via C25K and when the intervals first bumped up I thought I was going to die. But then a friend pointed out I didn't have to be running at 5mph or more...I just needed to be doing even slightly more than walking (granted, I walk fast, so running was close to 5, but not there yet).
  • Caerthilian
    Caerthilian Posts: 21 Member
    Thanks everybody! I am having trouble but I will succeed. I will keep those tips in mind in the morning. I will play through the moderate pain. Hoping to double my attempt tomorrow. (I was only able to run 3 minutes today but considering I weigh close to 300 lbs, it was a good start)
    It was a brilliant start hats off to you for guts and determination.