Annoying that people do not take care...

Options
to correctly enter the nutritional information from food onto the search system. It completely defeats the object if people are not counting their intake correctly. Plus it means that other people who rely completely on the work of others and only chose current entries mean that they too are not keeping proper track of their intake.....i for this reason never rely unless its alerady in my lists.

I today searched for Muller Banana Chocolates Flakes......there are loads of entries...i could not find one correct one. Everyone seems to have misunderstood that the details listed are per 100g (as with most things) when the serving size is 155g. Its a difference of over 70 Calories....this is a lot for one item in the food diary, imagine if everyone was this careless.

I would just like to ask everyone who doesn't check before they add to their diary to please do so, so you do not consume more than you want too, also if the details are correct then confirm it so that it builds confidence for others. Also to ask those that add foods to be really thorough and double check what you are inputting.

Thanks Rant over....

Replies

• sachinpise
    Options
    You are absolutely right... Sometimes I get same food item with completely different calorie count... I try to see if there are any confirmations by other users...
  • claire_xox
    claire_xox Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    If it's wrong you can correct it!
  • britesideoflife
    britesideoflife Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I completely agree (You can correct it if t is entered by another MFP member, but I have found inaccuracies that are MFP entries. Those CANNOT be corrected...)

I am always quick to confirm when the calories are correct, as I use that as a sign that the entry is right.
  • perceptualobfuscator
    Options
    This is annoying, but keep in mind that sometimes the exact same product will have different nutritional content in different countries. I know that the Canadian and US versions are often different, although the names are the same. It's quite possible that these are the differences you are running into. As well, sometimes a change is made to the recipe or size of container that would alter the results you get.
  • Christina1007
    Christina1007 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Well, I actually thought of that, as I was entering something in and though "Hang on a minute, that can't be right!"

I usually tend to eat the same things over and over again- I know, BORING!, so it doesn't really concern me that much. But I also think someone on this site must monitor the contents and calories of food. Right??
  • Fitwam
    Fitwam Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    One of the things that has proven so helpful to me is the barcode scanner on my droid! If I measure or weigh the item in its "serving" than I know I am right. However, if I have more or less of the serving, I will adjust the quantities. Problem comes when the barcode scanner doesn't recognize the item. Then I am somewhat at the mercy of former MFP'ers. I just try to find the one that matches what my item suggest in calorie count.
  • zumbawhit
    zumbawhit Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    When in doubt, and I can't confirm, I choose whichever lists the most calories. Better to over-exaggerate than to under-exaggerate!!!