Edinburgh, Scotland

Options
Hi all,

Looking for some help/advice from anyone really, but anyone in Edinburgh would be most appreciated!

I'm up for two nights from tomorrow on a business trip and trying to think of healthy things for dinner. I'm staying in a hotel not far from the Omni Centre and in past have just ordered room service. Want to be good though and keep within my cals but no idea where I can go out and eat for dinner on my own without looking like a complete weirdo!!

Any tips/advice would be great. Otherwise it's going to end up being a supermarket sandwich and an apple on my bed :(

Thanks!! x

Replies

• julespickles
    julespickles Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    hiya :) when I'm away on business I normally try and find a wagamamas, as the informal canteen set up is great for dining alone (take a book!) and the food is tasty and pretty healthy (eg ramens)
  • babbityboo
    babbityboo Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    That's a great idea thank you!! I've just been on their website. They opened an Edinburgh branch last week!! It's only a mile's walk from my hotel too!! :) x
  • fairybluebell
    Options
    You are really near loads of restaurants with smaller portions in their pre-theatre menus. . . . and what Jules said about taking a book to pass the time!

I can recommend http://www.omniedinburgh.co.uk/inside-latasca.html for lighter tapas options ;)

Enjoy!
  • lizlee8
    lizlee8 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    hello babbityboo,
    my first thoughts are the pizza express just accross the north bridge, they do weight watchers approved pizzas (Leggera) check out the website
    http://www.pizzaexpress.com/our-food/nutrition/
    I recommend Saigon Saigon, just off princes street (might need to make a reservation).
    http://www.saigonrestaurant.co.uk/
    Totally awsome chinese food!:bigsmile:
    Hope this helps:flowerforyou: ,
    x
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    That's a great idea thank you!! I've just been on their website. They opened an Edinburgh branch last week!! It's only a mile's walk from my hotel too!! :) x

great! and you will burn some calories too getting there :-)
  • amymaria91
    Options
    If you're not wanting something fancy, just simple, then how about Subway? You can get really healthy stuff from there and no one will give you a second look in there.

If you're wanting something a bit more fancy then I'm not your girl, don't really do fancy
  • wendix
    wendix Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    la tasca in omni maybe? they have so much to choose from, some healthy some not so healthy! if you like the idea of tapas there is also cafe andaluz on george street which is AMAZING (probably better than la tasca if i'm being honest) and some really good healthy options. there is also cafe rouge on frederick street, it's french. or one restaurant that is incredible is Tigerlily on george street. again it has unhealthy options but plenty of healthy options too and one of the reasons i love it is the portion sizes are perfect. they are not small but they aren't too big either, my mum and I always comment on how we feel satisfied but not stuffed, no matter what we eat. henderson's bistro on hanover street is amaaazing as well and I think everything is fairly healthy on the menu. at least everything is organic and locally sourced which is always better.

hope I helped :) there's so much to choose from to be honest, Edinburgh is pretty good for eating healthy
  • babbityboo
    babbityboo Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Wow!! Thank you so much everyone!

I LOVE La Tasca, but have no idea about the calorie content of things. I've been warned before about things that seem healthy (salads/veggies etc) actually being packed full of hidden cals! GRR!

Just don't want to be a slacker whilst away! xx
  • SuperScrabbleGirl
    SuperScrabbleGirl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I'm so jealous! I LOVE Edinburgh. Don't just visit the chains though, Hendersons veggie cafe is great and you can do deli style things as well as eat in, it's really healthy and ace. Edinburgh is chock full of hills and if you're walking about a lot, that'll help with your exercise. It's naughty of me to suggest it, but you should definitely go to the Brew Dog bar on Cowgate. it's awesome if you like beers, it's very chilled and you can get bottles as well as pints so no need to compromise on cals. Sort of. x