running question? Help! I'm feeling sick:(

Options
Question: I am new to running and am running 3-4miles in about average of 12-13min miles. I have been running for a month now and always ran at night. I started to run just this am and I feel like I am going to vomit. How can I stop this feeling? Should I eat before I run? I am not a morning person but if I don't run in the am I am not able to find time at night due to my hectic life. Help!!

Replies

• JaredBergeron
    JaredBergeron Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I struggle with going Hypo sometimes when i run and it feels like that, usually a small bowl of slow carbs, like plain oats will keep me fueled during the workout. Piece of whole grain toast with almond butter works for me as well. Give it 30-45 min or so do get into your system before you head out
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I have found a nice little protein bar before I workout in the early morning will take that feeling away. I keep it by my bed and start munching on it about 30 minutes before I am set to workout. There is no way I could workout on an empty stomach.
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Is this an i have over exerted myself and am going to vomit or an I am having a sugar related issue and feel like i am going to vomit?
  • BRANDYLYNETTE
    BRANDYLYNETTE Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    All I can say is wow.....you are NEW to running and can run 3-4 miles? I am worse than I thought! lol I started running....and could barley make the length of the football field without stopping.....worked on it ....and finally made it a WHOLE lap....THEn......went again and made it 1/2 mile without stopping.....that was two weeks ago....weather has been cold....and we have been super busy with school activities and work....but cant wait until I can make it to two miles... Im sorry you are feeling sick. I dont have the answer other than to try to eat something small before you go....and see if that helps. Congrats on the running though.... :)
  • GownleyC2
    GownleyC2 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    It is an I am not awake yet and going to vomit. I am going to have to wake up a little bit earlier and have some oats. I just hate getting up early:( I love my sleep:) Thanks for the info.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Yes, if I were you, I'd try eating something before you go out on your next morning run. 1/2 banana w/ a tbs of peanut butter or some oatmeal w/ or w/o peanut butter.

Try eating something before your next couple of runs and see what happens.
  • GownleyC2
    Options
    I shouldn't say new to running. I ran prio to going back to school and gaining 75lbs. I should say I am a steady 14min mile. I spuraticaly run 12-13 min miles.
  • phover
    phover Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am an early riser, however, I am the same way. I have never really been able to get up and just run...I get the same type of "sick" feeling. So I would just set my alarm a half an hour earlier, to give myself the extra time to wake up and relax a bit. Not much of a suggestion, but it may help a bit. Hope you get it through it! I'm sure you will get tons of advise replies based on nutrition etc....from a lot of people, this web site is great, and everyone is always so helpful!
    HAPPY RUNNING!
  • libland
    libland Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I grab a handful of dried fruit and eat it just before I head out the door. And to Brandylynette... take your time. Don't worry about how fast or far others are going. We are all individuals and have our own pace.
  • memobe
    memobe Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Kudos to you for getting up early for that run! That is dedication :) I think that if you got up a bit earlier and had something in your stomach it would help. I have only had to get up "that" early to run a few times and I can remember feeling that as well.
    Good luck to you and keep on running!
  • BRANDYLYNETTE
    BRANDYLYNETTE Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Thanks libland! : ) Just proud that someone could run like that and be new! : ) One day.....one day.....
  • lovestobaketoo
    lovestobaketoo Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    half a protein bar is all I did when I started, once you get use to gettingup and moving your body will change again. Now I don't eat anything before any workouts and I feel sick if I do eat! Go figure. GOOD LUCK:)
  • LaBelle89
    Options
    If you feel like you about to Vomit...that's great! Vomit...and afterwards you will have tons of energy...trust me lol.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    When I got down to goal weight I started having to eat before my runs. I always used to run on an empty stomach, but if I do that these days I throw up at about 5 miles. I just don't have the reserves to keep me going now. Try eating 45 mins before you run.
  • GownleyC2
    Options
    Thank you, everyone for your help. I love MFPs :)
  • GownleyC2
    Options
    I had a piece of pumpkin bread 45min prior today and it worked! Thanks all!!!