Replies

• driaxx
    driaxx Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    That's scary...I run a lot!
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Well it's frightening, but not terribly so. I will have to shred through all the references before I reach a verdict.

I run my *kitten* off, because I love it. I'm thin, and have normal thyroid levels...but maybe it's genetics?
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Well, what are we supposed to do instead, then?

I think as long as you make sure you're adding in some strength training, and not over-doing it, there's not that much to worry about.
  • Rachiepie6
    Rachiepie6 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    After that long article, he provides NO helpful recommendations..
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    lucky i do interval training mostly then (: but i still do steady running 3 days a week.. only for 15-20mins but.
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options

yeah i know!
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i was disappointed in that as well :/
  • MîîśÊmÿłõü
    MîîśÊmÿłõü Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Lucky I do interval training most of the time but still do 2 days a week running =\
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

I think as long as you make sure you're adding in some strength training, and not over-doing it, there's not that much to worry about.

intervals, resistance training & whatever cardio you want. Running if you want to.

Create calorie deficit through diet & exercise (from above list)
    Consume adequate protein & do resistance training (to preserve lean body mass)

= lose FAT not weight.

It's that simple.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    It sounds like it's talking more about people who actually over-train than people who have a regular, normal workout regiment.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options

intervals, resistance training & whatever cardio you want. Running if you want to.

Create calorie deficit through diet & exercise (from above list)
    Consume adequate protein & do resistance training (to preserve lean body mass)

= lose FAT not weight.

It's that simple.

THIS.
  • LickyNees
    LickyNees Posts: 101 Member
    Options
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Just another reason for me not to run... :)

Walking and weights work pretty well for this gal :)
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    This is verrry interesting... I have incorporated heavy lifting into my training now (as of about 6 ago) and instantly lost some inches. It's sort of a relief to not be running. And running. And running.... although I looove running. Now I don't have the energy for both! I like the effects the heavy lifting has on my body. Thanks so much for this article.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Every day I ride my bike home from work & I see the same people running & running. I often wonder to myself if they are training for some marathon or just interesting in losing some fat. I hope it is the former.
  • jmvh59
    jmvh59 Posts: 97
    Options
    While that article has some scientific backing, here are the main points I'm taking away from it:

1. If you are running several hours per day on the treadmill and you are not losing weight, you need to reevaluate your workout scheme.

2. If you are doing a LOT of just cardio, you need to get your T3 levels checked regularly to make sure you're not hurting yourself.

Honestly, I run most days and I am not going to stop running because of this article. There are a few reasons I do not believe I will suffer the same fate as Jessica.

1. Even though I run the same routes fairly regularly, those routes consist of hills, both up and down. I vary my pace (usually push harder to go up hills) throughout my run. That, and I have to drag my dogs away from distractions.

2. I do strength training in addition to running.

3. I play rugby, which is an amazing sport that can be played by people of many shapes and sizes. Rugby requires a great deal of strength and fitness and burns an obscene amount of calories. Check for a rugby club in your local area. Rugby players are friendly folks always looking to share the game they love with new people.

4. I run primarily to become a faster runner capable of increased aerobic activity (to be more fit for rugby).

5. My thyroid quit working completely around two years ago. I receive the hormones my thyroid would have generated in pill form every day. That pill doesn't care whether I have been running or not and will not try to force my body into survival mode.

6. Running on a treadmill is NOT running on actual ground.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    So glad this got bumped up. This article spoke to me so clearly last night when I first saw the link and followed it. What a great website on the whole! I spent an hour reading through different articles last night and then told the hubby about it all when he got home. (much to his dismay. lol)

But I experienced exactly this. I ran and ran and ran and just got flabbier. I even went to the doctor to have my thyroid tested based on everything I was feeling and experiencing. Luckily I hadn't actually done anything yet, but I looked into new ways to train around that same time because I'd signed up for a couple more races and wanted to be my best.

Almost immediately after re-evaluating what my calorie intake was, adding strength training into my workouts and dropping my running from 5-6 days a week to just 3, with only one actual long run day, I saw improvements. The scale dropped, my clothes fit better, my lifting strength has improved steadily week over week and my running has even gotten stronger. I set a PR in my last race and expect to do so again this weekend based on my run time on Sunday.

I'd already sorta been kicking around the idea of moving my focus more onto strength and cutting the steady state cardio even more and this article, and many that I read on that website really helped get me set up to start that new path in my training after my race this weekend.

I don't plan on stopping running, because I do love it, it's just not going to be my focus anymore. Thank you so much for that website, it came at exactly the time I needed it to. :)
  • Rachiepie6
    Rachiepie6 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Lucky I do interval training most of the time but still do 2 days a week running =\

That sounds fine to me.. You are one of those people who take their health pretty seriously and go to the doctor when you need to so no need to worry :smile:
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    So glad this got bumped up. This article spoke to me so clearly last night when I first saw the link and followed it. What a great website on the whole! I spent an hour reading through different articles last night and then told the hubby about it all when he got home. (much to his dismay. lol)

But I experienced exactly this. I ran and ran and ran and just got flabbier. I even went to the doctor to have my thyroid tested based on everything I was feeling and experiencing. Luckily I hadn't actually done anything yet, but I looked into new ways to train around that same time because I'd signed up for a couple more races and wanted to be my best.

Almost immediately after re-evaluating what my calorie intake was, adding strength training into my workouts and dropping my running from 5-6 days a week to just 3, with only one actual long run day, I saw improvements. The scale dropped, my clothes fit better, my lifting strength has improved steadily week over week and my running has even gotten stronger. I set a PR in my last race and expect to do so again this weekend based on my run time on Sunday.

I'd already sorta been kicking around the idea of moving my focus more onto strength and cutting the steady state cardio even more and this article, and many that I read on that website really helped get me set up to start that new path in my training after my race this weekend.

I don't plan on stopping running, because I do love it, it's just not going to be my focus anymore. Thank you so much for that website, it came at exactly the time I needed it to. :)

This is exactly me!! ('Cept the thyroid part) I have also changed my focus to strength training. I really do love running too though, but I just can't keep up both to the extreme I have, and if I can get great looking results from the strength training and only do 3 days running, I'm still a happy camper. I'm a little worried about what I will do when it comes time to train for two big races I want to do in the new year... but I'll cross that bridge when I get there...