weighing once a week to every day

Options
I've recently switched from weighing once a week to weighing every day, and I've noticed a little more weight loss, at least over the past couple of days, by weighing every day. I know scales can inflate numbers due to water levels/sodium retention, but can I trust actual weight loss on the scale? Or should I stick to once a week?

Replies

• MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with weighing yourself everyday, but there will be day-to-day fluctuation.. some good, some bad. I prefer the once a week weigh-in, but that's just me.
  • MrsSpinks
    MrsSpinks Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Daily helps me keep on track! For example, if I have a bad day when weighing once a week, I'm more likely to think 'oh well, I've already ruined this week so I might as well have XYZ...' but when I weigh daily, I can see that I'm still on track and that one bad day/meal/snack hasn't affected me that much and this encourages me to keep being good!
  • awdhemi
    awdhemi Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I weight in daily, but don't count the loss of pounds until I see that it stays off for a few days (due to fluctuation)...
  • jessashcher
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday and I do notice the fluctuations, but on the days where it says I've gained weight then I push myself a little harder and ultimately it pays off.
  • Texaganian
    Options
    Scales don't lie. The number you see if real... for that moment in time.

Weight loss, however, is not a linear process. So sometimes you will be surprised. Weight may be up some when it you expect it to be down or down when you expect it up.

But weighing every day will allow you to see and understand this non-linearity and not freak out like you would if you only weighed once a week and happened to hit one of those unexpectedly heavy days.

For me, weighing only week is a path toward madness. I'm a huge proponent of weighing daily, learning about the daily fluctuations but also seeing the proof that consuming moderately fewer calories than you consume on a consistent basis WILL lead to long term, sustainable weight loss.

Good luck on your journey!
  • MrsSpinks
    MrsSpinks Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I weight in daily, but don't count the loss of pounds until I see that it stays off for a few days (due to fluctuation)...

Yeah, forgot to mention that I only record once a week because of fluctuation!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i weigh nearly every day as i am messing around with my calories for maintenance. i still have one 'official' weigh day per week though which i record on here if i lose/gain.
  • atucker0821
    atucker0821 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    i weigh every morning before i get in the shower (naked) but only "count it" once per week on monday's. there is fluctuation but it helps keep me focused.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I used to do that and hated it because it changed so much. Now, I do once a week.
  • e_morr
    e_morr Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm kind of in between - I weigh in every few days, but my "official" weight is Tuesday morning, after a very low-calorie Monday. I notice some fluctuation and there are days I'm definitely disappointed. But I know, as we all do, that this is over the long haul.

ed
  • clares06
    clares06 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    hi, i weigh daily, and have been since i started on here. my weight has only gone up by 1 or 2 lbs, around my tom, apart from that i see a daily drop, even if it is only 2 or 3 oz, or staying the same. i really feel it helps keep me on track. good luck with your weight loss hunni. xx
  • russellma
    russellma Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself 2-3 times per day! I guess it's because I'm fascinated with numbers and enjoy watching the trends! I don't get bent out of shape when there's a higher number. I've actually been losing weight much faster since I started doing that (along with other things).

With once a week, you're counting on your body to be consistent and give you an accurate reading every time. If it's not, you're stuck with a high reading for a whole week, which can be damaging to your (well, at least my) morale.
  • dkwiggins03
    Options
    I weigh in once-a-day as well and I like it because even though it fluctuates, it helps me realize if that extra little bit at supper or that cookie was worth it. :bigsmile:
  • mrsdauer
    mrsdauer Posts: 102
    Options
    i weight in daily to keep me from eating the wrong foods. there are days when the scale tells me ive GAINED, and that can cause upset, but as previously stated on a post....it will open your eyes to watch your food/calorie intake that day..
    good luck to you!
  • Schwarzeaugen
    Schwarzeaugen Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone!
  • erinhale
    erinhale Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    YOu should do every 2 weeks. Everyday you flux from 2-8 pounds. You can not get an accurate from everyday.
  • lily1972
    lily1972 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    This is my philosophy too:
    Scales don't lie. The number you see if real... for that moment in time.

Weight loss, however, is not a linear process. So sometimes you will be surprised. Weight may be up some when it you expect it to be down or down when you expect it up.

But weighing every day will allow you to see and understand this non-linearity and not freak out like you would if you only weighed once a week and happened to hit one of those unexpectedly heavy days.

For me, weighing only week is a path toward madness. I'm a huge proponent of weighing daily, learning about the daily fluctuations but also seeing the proof that consuming moderately fewer calories than you consume on a consistent basis WILL lead to long term, sustainable weight loss.

Good luck on your journey!
  • chatterbox3110
    chatterbox3110 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh every day, but then gradually realised that if I had a gain on the scales, no matter how small, it made me disillusioned and then I lost motivation.

Now I weigh just once a week and it's working fine for me.
  • dreamshadows
    dreamshadows Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    My nutrition Doctor told me that weight can fluctuate by as much as 7 lbs per day. My home scale can show a 2 lbs difference just by changing position on the scale.
    With this knowledge, I still weigh my self when I get up, and as others do, I only record the numbers once a week.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I do, its fun, often its the only thing that gets me to the gym as I don't have any scales at home. I think its good as you find out right away if you are doing something wrong and you will see patterns - the common one for isntance o f losing during hte week and then putting it back on the weekend.
    If what you are doing works you will see a steady decline, I really believe that. although if you are going for every day probably good to do it at the same time every day at least so that things like whether or not you have eaten or not are taken into account.