Water Experiment

Options
Okay, I am a sceptic when it comes to water consumption. I understand that a well hydrated body works better, but the whole 'you should drink 8 cups of water a day' seemed excessive, not to mention difficult, when it's just a clear liquid that runs through your system so quickly it just makes you need to go to the loo all the time. I recently read an article (not this one: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/14/drinking-8-glasses-of-wat_n_899276.html but something very similar) which made me feel much better about these feelings - like me there are people out there who think it's not only unecessary but can actually be unhelpful.

While water is obviously calorie free and hydrating (not to mention filling if you need to put something in your tummy), the whole 'clearing out of toxins' or helping with weight loss, or having any particularly active role in one's diet other than quenching one's thirst, seemed far fetched to me.

SO - I was on holiday with my family the other week, lazing around doing nothing in the wilds of Dorset, and basically drank less than a cup a day for a whole week, and felt sluggish and sleepy. I'm hoping this was at least partly my body making the most of some down time after what had been a very stressful year. However, when I gt home, I continued to barely drink any water for several days, and it dawned on me that I was in the perfect place to start an experiment:

Go from drinking (practically) zero glasses of water a day, to the 'recommended' 8, EVERY day, and see if I actually notice a difference. Not change anything else, just that. So I set myself a rule...

I work 8am til 4pm (mostly) so every hour, on the hour (or soon afterwards) I would down a full glass of water. Not a massive one, just about 250ml. And then if I forgot, I would have a whole hour to catch up, and I wouldn't have to try and enjoy it, just down it and it's done. I don't like water much, this seemed like a good way to really remember to drink it.

I started on Thursday 3rd November...

Replies

• persian_star
    persian_star Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Thursday 3rd:

I felt like I spent the whole day forcing water down my throat. Spent most of the afternoon on the loo. Bizarrely still felt thirsty. Not much fun, but I'm guessing my body really appreciated being hydrated properly (even on good days before, I might have managed 3 cups at most). It was good, every time I thought about having a snackette, I had a glass of water instead - tummy full, no snack needed!

Major thing I noticed: despite being tired from a late night, I actually felt unusually alert.
  • marie111
    marie111 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    bump
  • persian_star
    Options
    Friday 4th:

Really didn't want to drink anything. However, I persevered, and actually found it easier than the day before. Now peeing all day long, and lost my craving for coffee, so I didn't have one.

Thing I noticed: My face felt 'fuller'. Not in a particularly fat way, but in a smoother way, as though the encroaching wrinkles had been filled in (at 32, they're beginning to creep up on me). I've always had poor skin, so this particular side effect was very welcome, although, I have to admit, I was rather amazed about how quickly I noticed a difference, when all I was doing was hydrating myself properly!
  • persian_star
    Options
    Saturday 5th:

Note - I went out on friday night and had a few beers. I'd also been a little 'too' good with my calories that day, which led to a) lightheadedness and beer haziness and b) a desperate need for carbs later in the evening. I shouldn't have done it, but I did, and I though, at least I can see what effect this will have on my water experiment!

I woke on Saturday with the usual hungover thirst and sore tummy. Amazingly, no sore head though. Despite ickiness, determined to continue with the 1 cup and hour, so I dug myself out of bed every hour to drink another cup. Managed to get my full 8 cups in, though felt lethargic and did zero exercise.

Thing I noticed: Hangover not as bad as expected. No headache at all, and the sore tummy I often get cleared up far more quickly than usual.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking about this this morning so its quite timely! I think the more you drink the more you want to drink, but I don't think it has to be pure water, more liquid to hydrate you I like to drink a pint of diluted squash. I think its important to be hydrated but I do think people forcing themselves to drink loads of water thinking this will help them lose weight quicker is a bit misguided. People have even died from literally drowning themseleves with too much water.
  • persian_star
    Options
    Sunday 6th:

Note - I went out again on saturday night. Friend's birthday up in town. Had a few beers again, though not as bad as friday night.

Getting quite tired of constantly drinking water, but despite it being the weekend, still managing my 1 cup an hour, even without the structure of being at work. I keep a glass by the fridge so I can just go, refill, down it and then forget about it for another hour. It turns out drinking loads during the day then tailing of in the evening makes it easier to not keep having to get up to go to the loo all night long!

I think it's the alcohol too, but skin is feeling dry and patchy, serve me right for going out two nights on the trot. Nice early night (and no booze!) tonight.
  • persian_star
    Options
    Monday 7th:

Working from home. Very quiet day. Over-ate (working from home good for getting things done, bad for being bored and having the fridge right there! Plus no walk to work) but continued with my water drinking. I'm kinda getting used to it by now, though I still don't much enjoy it, but I did have a very productive day work-wise, so my concentration is obviously not suffering! Didn't notice anything else much.
  • nickydp
    nickydp Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Interesting!!
  • mazza2marilyn
    Options
    bump
  • persian_star
    Options
    Tuesday 8th - i.e. today:

Found waking up incredibly hard. Hoping that's just my body recuperating after what was a very heavy weekend. Downed 3 glasses so far today (nearing time for number 4) and it's becoming so much easier - habits form quickly and hopefully I'm nearly there :o)

My skin is feeling plump and smooth again! It's so strange - it's normally so dry and icky, plus the eczema on my hands, that feeling the smoothness of my cheeks is frankly nonplussing. Re: eczema - that's actually looking better too. It tends to get better and worse in cycles, so it may have nothing at all to do with the water, but I'll be keeping an eye on it. My hands still feel dry like always, that's something else I'd be interested to see if it changes at all.

Despite this morning's extreme sleepiness, I actually feel very alert right now.
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Do you supplement with Fish Oils? That would help with the eczema and keeping your skin hydrated
  • persian_star
    Options
    Current results:

After 5 days of drinking a cup of water every hour on the hour for the first 8 hours of the day...

1) The skin on my face is smooth and firmer, and the eczema on my hands feels better, but the hands are still dry.

2) I feel more awake and my concentration is better, plus I no longer feel the need to drink coffee.

3) Alcohol completely negates these good effects! However, the water makes hangovers less awful.

4) I'm coming down with a cold. Water obviously doesn't have magical healing properties. Time for vitamin C ;o)

5) Weight wise - it's great to drink a glass instead of having a snack, it fills your tummy and makes you forget that need. However, thus far, I haven't noticed any difference at all to do with my weight or inches. However, it has been a bad few days for calories and exercise, so I may have skewed the results. I'll be interested in the longer term effects which I will monitor.

6) The one last thing I'll be interested to see over time, is if my hair changes at all. I stopped dying it over a year ago and have definitely noticed an increase in quality since then, but if proper hydration affects the skin, it's likely to affect hair and nails too. I'll keep you posted!

As far as my scepticism is concerned... I may not understand all the science, and water may not be the miracle that everyone says, but many of my doubts have been completely squashed. Being properly hydrated obviously has definite benefits, even if currently I can only see the short term effects. Looking forward to seeing longer term effects.

I would love to hear your feedback about the difference you've noticed due to water, the tricks you use to remember to drink it, and what you think of my obvservations so far! And hopefully this will inspire more people to drink more and see if water makes a difference to them.

Ciao for now :flowerforyou:
  • persian_star
    Options
    PS If anyone wants to friend me for mutual water encouragement, feel free x
  • persian_star
    Options
    I was just thinking about this this morning so its quite timely! I think the more you drink the more you want to drink, but I don't think it has to be pure water, more liquid to hydrate you I like to drink a pint of diluted squash. I think its important to be hydrated but I do think people forcing themselves to drink loads of water thinking this will help them lose weight quicker is a bit misguided. People have even died from literally drowning themseleves with too much water.

I totally agree. I wanted to try pure water mostly for the sake of the experiment, but also because I'm allergic to artificial sweeteners (due to asthma, I'm falling apart, me ;o) and I wanted to avoid adding too many calories into my diet.

My hubby was quite worried when I told him about this (and anyone from UK who's old enough will remember the sad story of Leah Betts drowning herself in too much water) which is why I'm being careful to only have an average glassful every hour, nothing massive, and I'm not sneaking in any extra in between - trying to make sure my body has time to process it!
  • persian_star
    Options
    Do you supplement with Fish Oils? That would help with the eczema and keeping your skin hydrated

I don't, but I might give that a try. I have to admit I don't like fish much (so I don't get much in the way of natural oils either), though I try to eat it once evey two weeks or so, and started eating bread fortified with Omega 3 to combat this a few months ago, but I'm probably still missing out.

Having dry skin was something that started with a very specific type of lady medication that messes with your hormones *l* So I always figured it was a small price to pay for no unwanted children ;o) However, I've had eczema all my life, so I'm probably susceptible to various skin issues. Any particular fish oils you'd recommend?
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options

I don't, but I might give that a try. I have to admit I don't like fish much (so I don't get much in the way of natural oils either), though I try to eat it once evey two weeks or so, and started eating bread fortified with Omega 3 to combat this a few months ago, but I'm probably still missing out.

Having dry skin was something that started with a very specific type of lady medication that messes with your hormones *l* So I always figured it was a small price to pay for no unwanted children ;o) However, I've had eczema all my life, so I'm probably susceptible to various skin issues. Any particular fish oils you'd recommend?

Either Salmon or flaxseed, you should be getting about 2-3 grams of EPA/DHA a day.
  • lourie_p
    Options
    I don't drink enough water, but the few times i've fasted on either juice or water I would consume about 3/4-1 gallon per day and the puffiness and cellulite-riddled appearance of my skin improved. Everything looked more firm. I wonder if this works while eating, but I've never drank enough while eating to find out. I've heard that you retain water though and when you drink plenty of it your body releases the retained water because it has a constant supply.
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Coming from the other end of the spectrum (water is the default drink for me when thirsty) if I feel thirst and don't drink water in a timely manner (can be as much as one litre in a sitting) I start feeling pretty bad, pretty quick (head achey, kinda nauseous), it can write off the rest of the day for me. Come to think of it, not eating produces similar effects. Regular food and water intake make me a happy camper.
  • persian_star
    Options
    Just been having a nose, by the way, and according to wikipedia, the kidneys (if functioning normally) can process at least 1 litre of water an hour without harm, so 250ml an hour isn't a problem :o)
  • hickmanswifey
    hickmanswifey Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Very interesting experiment :) I personally drink far too much soda. Today is a new day though and I started a new challenge here on MFP, so I will def be drinking lots of water and will pay attention to these little details as you have :)