Morning Workout: Eat before or After?

Options
Hi All,

I got up to work out at 6AM today (yay me) and I was wondering should you eat before or after the workout? I wasn't hungry so I drank a lot of water and now I am going to eat my breakfast. Let me know what you all think!

Replies

• shazzahare
    Options
    I get up at 6 every morning and swim a mile and always eat after. To be honest I could not face food at that time in the morning.
  • lahay99
    lahay99 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I dont usually get up that early, 7am spin classes are the earliest ive done, but i still usually have a banana and a glass of juice before a work to kick start metabolism and give me energy. I never used to but then i read it was better to have something?
    Interested in other replies too!
  • MzGrinch9250
    MzGrinch9250 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5 every morning, however, two days out of the week I work out in the morning. My gym doesn't open until 8am on those days, so I eat 2 hours before my workout.

If you're up that early and head straight to the gym, then don't bother eating, unless you're hungry.
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,534 Member
    Options
    It really depends on you...I can't stand working out if I have eaten anything, so I prefer to work out on an empty stomach in the morning and then eat breakfast later. Maybe just experiment and see what helps you to have the best workout and to feel your strongest.
  • mbakken90
    mbakken90 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hmm interesting results! I'll have to try it out and see what makes me feel stronger. I felt pretty good working out without any food in and then eating after.
  • mbakken90
    mbakken90 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Also, what types of foods do you guys like to eat after a morning workout??
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    I generally eat before and after.
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Both always. Usually almond butter and steel cut oats before and a high protein yogurt after. I find that slow carbs are good before with some protein and I focus on protein only after (sometimes I'll switch out my yogurt for a scoop of protein powder.)
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    One or the other, both, or neither. Doesn't matter.
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I know that there are alot of benefits to eating first, but I can't eat before a workout. If I am going to do a long workout, I will eat a chobani yogurt or something small. Usually I don't eat anything though.
  • manvsfood
    manvsfood Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I eat after my workouts... if I eat before = vomit :noway: