Burning off yesterday's calories

Options
I was wondering...say you eat 200 more calories then you were supposed to on Monday, if you burn off an extra 200 calories the next day and don't eat those calories back, will you still be where you would have been if you had burned the calories off on the same day? Or does it hurt you to wait until the next day?

Replies

• RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Theoretically--no. However, I would not make a habit of it because it can be taxing mentally. Treating every day as a clean slate can be quite liberating and has helped me put setbacks behind me. A spike day once in a while is okay.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I would say yes...you should be able to do this as long as you're hitting your burn targets for the week. Its not going to hurt to have a bigger deficit one day as long as you're eating right most days.

Aside from that, going over by a couple hundred calories one day really isn't going to do much damage if you're hitting your goals the rest of the week. Sometimes it even helps to spike your diet a little!
  • merrick7871
    Options
    From what I understand, it should be fine. It said that I had to burn 3500 calories a week, and I interpreted it as I could burn them whenever I wanted during that week.
  • Scoobies87
    Options
    I'd like to know too, I have always gone by this mentalitly. From what I have heard, it is your intake over the entire week that is most important. However going 200 calories over shouldn't make much differance, unless it was everyday.
  • smrtcar
    smrtcar Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Look at the big picture. I like to balance off for the week. If I go out with the guys, I work a deficit into my week so I can pig out of ribs and wings on Saturday night.
  • daves160
    daves160 Posts: 600
    Options
    You should be fine, But likeRaeN said, you probably don't want to make a habit of it. Weight watchers allows you to "bank" calories. And it worked for me when I did that way back when.

If you are eating well and are only over by a few hundred once in a while, it will be fine. remember, you are probably running a 500 to 1000 call deficit.