Is p90x worthless?

Options
Now that I have your attention.... :) I have a serious question.First, some background. I am at my goal weight yet I am still at 23% body fat. I want to continue losing body fat while maintaining my weight and gaining strength. My goal is to accomplish this by spring and then I will just work on maintenance. Yesterday I had a consultation with a personal trainer. He pretty much told me that my current schedule of running and p90x are worthless in regards to my goals. While I respect his viewpoint and admit he certainly has more training/experience than I do, I have to question this statement because the exercises he laid out for me seem to resemble to ones I do in p90x. Are there any other trainers who can weigh in with their opinion? (not to diss my trainer, just to get a second opinion)

Replies

• emandbensmom
    Options
    I don't know the answer, but am in the same boat as you. I'm fine with my weight, but my BFP is approximately 24%, which I am not happy with. I have been wondering how I should be exercising with the same goals in mind you have, so thank you for posting!
  • wbond
    wbond Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Not to diss your trainer either but if you look at all the success stories and before/after photos of P90X users, I would find it hard to say that P90X is worthless...just my opinion.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    P90X is a great program, remember most trainers are sales people trying to sell their services.

If you really want to change your body composition you can continue with P90X running program, but I would suggest increasing the weight you use, so you can only do 8-12 reps of any given exercise.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I'm not a trainer but I've done P90X and I've done other exercise plans. The key to getting the most out of any type of workout plan is to push yourself every day. I didn't push myself at home doing P90X, I just kinda did it. I started Lee Labrada's 12 week lean body trainer at the gym and actually pushed myself and dropped 15 pounds in 8 weeks. It depends on what you are comfortable with and if you push yourself.
  • taryn_perry
    taryn_perry Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Worthless? I'd challenge him to his reasonings why it's worthless! I think its 110% worth it!! I love the program. I lost 25# with the program and have done it 6 x's through in the last 3 years. Definitely something you can adapt into your workout regime. I also trained for a marathon with the program. Hardly think it's worthless.

Here's what worked for me: http://choose2befit.com/my-story. If I can help any, please shoot me a message!

Good luck.
  • nolakris
    nolakris Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Not a personal trainer, but I have a couple of friends that were in college. They are in the business of selling you their services, not telling you that what you are currently doing is going to get you there too and to keep going. They want you to pay them to get you in shape. I've not done p90x, but I've seen amazing results out of people that have. I'd really take what he is saying with a grain of salt. He'll get you in great shape, I'm sure, but running and p90x are far from worthless.
  • lesliemk
    lesliemk Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Gaining lean muscle mass and ditching body fat you'll need a few things... 1. clean diet and 2. adequate weight lifting & sensible cardio. I think P90X is reasonable, although I'd probably cut some of the running (depending on how much you do) and swap that for HIIT training if you really want to lean out.

I'm currently doing Jamie Eason's LiveFit Trainer on Bodybuilding.com and it's been awesome!! You should check it out and shoot me a message if you have more Q's, but I think by spring you should be at your goal. I'm aiming for 18% body fat--spring here too! And I should add... I'm starting P90X on January 1st w/ my husband! :D
  • Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I am not a trainer, but I definitely don't agree with him. Also, why do you want to stay at that weight? I think weight is just a guideline, but the real goal is to attain a certain image. So you don't like how the 23% looks, then try to get your body fat down and don't focus on weight. To do this, you can start cardio (INSANITY), but you might get smaller... Or you can stick with strength training (P90X) and maybe put on some muscle. Muscle will burn fat 24hrs a day so I think this would be best especially if you are close to your goals. Also, you can put on a little weight through another round of p90X focusing on building muscle then switch gears to fat burn with INSANITY or P90X. Remember DIET .... errr hate that word NUTRITION IS KEY:)
  • murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I've done P90X 3 times. I've lost over 30 lbs and went from 30% body fat to 12%.
    The key for me was adjusting the eating plan.

The first time I stayed in all 3 phases for the time specified. The second time I had lost alot of fat so I only stayed in the fat burning for 2 weeks and never went to phase 3. I was trying to limit my carbs.

For the 3rd time I'd already gone primal and was eating clean. I tried to keep my protien at my goal weight and limit my carbs to 125 grams.
    It works for me. I lost alot of body fat when I dropped the man made carbs and limited my carbs.
  • toddblume43
    Options
    Not a trainer but p90x takes money out of his pocket... That being said, he might not have your best interest in mind. To say it is worthless is nonsense. I have a friend that ueses it and it does work. It's muscle confusion and with a running schedule it will tone you. Your trainer will probably use the same techniques in the p90x system. It does help to have a trainer. But if you can motivate yourself it should work too. I might talk to a different trainer that might be more honest. I could be wrong...
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I've lost almost 70 lbs using P90X and recently Insanity. I think for reducing body fat, Insanity has an edge over P90X. I think if you just did just the cardio, core and plyo of P90X, you would see more fat reduction that doing the full program, but that's just my guess.
    I think at some point, just eating clean will make the biggest difference in body fat percentages, not what type of exercises you are doing.
  • darsh11
    Options
    I have been doing p90X and training for a 10K for the last month. I really can already see a difference in my body definition. I like the progam because it gives you a little bit of everything. So far I have lost 2 inches off my waist and everything else is shrinking as well. For me it is very much like boot camp with a twist because there is Yoga and Kenpo, and Plyometrics.
  • rc12345
    rc12345 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I really appreciate your opinions because it helps me to hear all sides of an issue before making up my mind. One item I should have mentioned and forgot; this trainer lives in another city than my own. Therefore, he knew from the beginning I would not be able to train at his personal gym. The gym he is employed by is part of a hospital program and he makes no commission whatsoever. :)
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Running is very hard on a person and seriously unhealthy. At least one person dies every year in marathons. The human body was not meant to run except in spurts as in an emergency. Also, it's awfully hard on the knees and feet, hips, etc. You may not notice it now but you will as you get older.

Strength bands, on the other hand, are great. They're exactly like lifting weights but safer and lots of fun. The body doesn't know if it's lifting iron or pumping rubber. Runners have puny bodies as a rule and lose a ton of muscle. People who do strength training develop strong, powerful, good looking bodies and they're healthier.

Cardio done in spurts or intervals for short times is good. Of course, you'll hear all sorts of opinions. So in the end, it's your call.:love:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Solid workout program with free weights > P90x for strength gains
  • Tujitsu56
    Options
    With this said, I don't understand why he would call P90X worthless. Maybe he has some personal clients that left because of it or he sees the potential to loose clients because of the program. Another reason could be that he hasn't really looked into it, but just wrote it off with all other home workout vids. I'm not sure, but I would definitely say it's worth it and I am somewhat of a skeptic.
    Thank you everyone! I really appreciate your opinions because it helps me to hear all sides of an issue before making up my mind. One item I should have mentioned and forgot; this trainer lives in another city than my own. Therefore, he knew from the beginning I would not be able to train at his personal gym. The gym he is employed by is part of a hospital program and he makes no commission whatsoever. :)
  • zumbawhit
    zumbawhit Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    OK... it's not that these things are worthless, BUT at this point, if you have already been doing a routine of these things for a lengthy amount of time, he is absolutely CORRECT! While these things would be great for maintainence, they are not going to serve you any purpose if you want to lose the remaining BFP. In order to do this, you must insert some muscle confusion... different strength exercises. You're probably right. The stuff he's giving you may VERY MUCH resemble what you're doing in your P90X routine, BUT if it even slightly works the muscles in a different manner, you are going to begin burning off that body fat at a quicker rate (by the spring) instead of the lengthy amount of time it would take with a routine that your body is already accustomed to. If he's a good trainer and is keeping you moving toward this goal, he will probably change your routine up again in 6-8 weeks. At that time, he may even send you back to what you were doing... it's all about the muscle confusion. It's not that you can't keep with your running/P90X routine, it's just that it won't benefit you toward those goals right now. Does that make sense?
  • Tujitsu56
    Options
    Umm, I'm not a runner, but I wouldn't exactly call it unhealthy. Yeah it can put strain on your body, but so does HIIT and other exercise. It does wonders for your heart.

Bands and Free weights differ a lot also. Curl 30lbs dumbell then 30lbs resistance bands and tell me your body doesn't feel the difference.
    Running is very hard on a person and seriously unhealthy. At least one person dies every year in marathons. The human body was not meant to run except in spurts as in an emergency. Also, it's awfully hard on the knees and feet, hips, etc. You may not notice it now but you will as you get older.

Strength bands, on the other hand, are great. They're exactly like lifting weights but safer and lots of fun. The body doesn't know if it's lifting iron or pumping rubber. Runners have puny bodies as a rule and lose a ton of muscle. People who do strength training develop strong, powerful, good looking bodies and they're healthier.

Cardio done in spurts or intervals for short times is good. Of course, you'll hear all sorts of opinions. So in the end, it's your call.:love:
  • Tujitsu56
    Options
    P90X focus IS muscle confusion.... I'm not a beachbody coach, just have done the program and INSANITY and really love them. Changed my workout habits and I was at one point a gym rat to begin with.
    OK... it's not that these things are worthless, BUT at this point, if you have already been doing a routine of these things for a lengthy amount of time, he is absolutely CORRECT! While these things would be great for maintainence, they are not going to serve you any purpose if you want to lose the remaining BFP. In order to do this, you must insert some muscle confusion... different strength exercises. You're probably right. The stuff he's giving you may VERY MUCH resemble what you're doing in your P90X routine, BUT if it even slightly works the muscles in a different manner, you are going to begin burning off that body fat at a quicker rate (by the spring) instead of the lengthy amount of time it would take with a routine that your body is already accustomed to. If he's a good trainer and is keeping you moving toward this goal, he will probably change your routine up again in 6-8 weeks. At that time, he may even send you back to what you were doing... it's all about the muscle confusion. It's not that you can't keep with your running/P90X routine, it's just that it won't benefit you toward those goals right now. Does that make sense?
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    No, P90x is not worthless or Turbulence Training for that matter.

Will an off the shelf programme ever be as good as an individualised programme put together by a knowledgeable trainer bearing closely in mind the client's specific goals? No.

The spanner in the works is sadly that the majority of trainers in commercial gyms appear to be complete idiots.