Running question for all you runners out there

Options
KatieJane83
KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
I've recently started running and I've been doing reading on the different ways of landing (heel to toe, vs ball to heel, etc.) and cushioned shoes vs those 'foot-glove' style shoes. I'm very curious about everyone's experiences/opinions on this subject. I've been running ball to heel, since especially from an evolutionary standpoint it makes more sense, and it definitely seems to be much lower impact, and I'm wondering if it might be worth checking out the 'foot-glove' shoes?

Replies

• Loggerwife
    Options
    I run ball to heal...biggest thing I have found is shoes! I have tried just about every brand and Brooks are the best hands down. The heel and arch supports cannot be beat. Good Luck and Good running. :happy:
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I love my Vibram 5-fingers although I still use my regular running shoes that I was fitted for. If I alternate then I find that I have fewer aches and pains then if I only use one or the other for long periods of time. Of course everyone is different but if you're already running that way then trying out some Vibrams may work well for you.
  • caseyandjess
    Options
    i hasve wanted to start running but have nlo idea how 2 start,could u give me sum advice how 2 start please x
  • FaugHorn
    Options
    I run ball to heal...biggest thing I have found is shoes! I have tried just about every brand and Brooks are the best hands down. The heel and arch supports cannot be beat. Good Luck and Good running. :happy:

My running shoes are Brooks too :) I support ^ a ton! Since getting them my shinsplints and fractures are down to nil! (well those combined with my 5-fingers)
  • amberwebb79
    amberwebb79 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    It can be a splurge, but I always recommend going to a running store and getting your stride analyzed and shoes fitted to your natural style.
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I would say go to a running store and have them watch you and figure out your gait, and get professionally fitted for running shoes, we are all different!
  • FaugHorn
    Options
    i hasve wanted to start running but have nlo idea how 2 start,could u give me sum advice how 2 start please x
    Couch to 5K works well:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/index.shtml
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I have heard nothing but horror stories from people that try to change their natural gait. They all wound up with nagging injuries, that went away when they went back to their natural stride. That doesn't mean you can't work on overall form though.

Lots of people love the 5-"finger" shoes. I have not tried them out, but I have to say I am a bit intrigued. I have overheard many conversations about them, and the consensus seems to be that they are great for shorter races, but not necessarily all surfaces.
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options

start a C25K program, if u follow it you can go from never running to a runner!
  • ramonasowner
    ramonasowner Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I am a marathon runner. You need to get to a running store to get a eval. Get the shoes they say you need. I find aim for mid foot land is good for you, you put too much heel strike in it will effect your pace and put you at risk for stress fracture. And I also have horrible posture, but when I run I stand up straight because I learned that slouching can add to shin splints. :wink:
  • ramonasowner
    ramonasowner Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    get specific shoes and read a beginner book for advice so you don't get hurt!
  • janinab75
    janinab75 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I just started running as well. the first few weeks I used my old cross trainers. My feet killed me. It was awful I went to a New Balance store and got my stand and stride analyzed, found out I was very flat footed and pronated. he fitted me with a shoe that corrects the pronation and has a good arch support. It made all the difference in the world. Running is more enjoyable now. New Balance has a good reputation as well and they are the only shoe made in the USA. I love my shoes now!
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    When I started running, many, many pounds ago, I was a heel-striker. As I've lost weight I've shifted to more of a mid-striking posture (which is what I think you mean by ball-to-heel striking). It just kind of happened, it wasn't a conscious decision. I do know, however, that as I've shifted to mid-striking, it definitely feels more efficient, I don't feel I pronate as badly as I did when I started running, and my knees don't take the pounding they used to take.

As for shoes, I've had the super-structure shoes (Brooks Beast, when I started running almost 3 years ago, for example). They're heavier, but do, indeed, support your foot as you run. Recently I've transitioned to Saucony ProGrid Mirages (pseudo-minimalist - very small heel-to-toe drop, but still some cushioning) and will likely move to a more minimalist shoe in the future.

I have been warned, however, by other runners who have done it to be careful through the transition. There are studies that show the super-cushioned shoes have essentially weakened the muscles in the foot. Transitioning to barefoot/minimalist shoes, if not taken slowly, could lead to over-stress injuries. Merrell has some good resources on how to make the transition (http://www.merrell.com/US/en/Barefoot) as does the Runner's World website.
  • KatieJane83
    Options

I came to start running in a kind of unique way I think. On my weight loss journey I was doing a lot of cardio using ellipticals. I would do a minimum of 60 minutes whenever I went to the gym, using 2 different ellipticals. I never ran because in the past my feet would always go completely numb (I always ran striking my heel first). Well, 2 weeks ago from yesterday I missed my gym window (I have black-out times because I have a discounted Teacher membership, lol) and I wanted more of a burn than just walking, so I figured what the hell let me try running (hadn't done it in at least 3 years). I set out coming down mid-foot on the ball of my foot, and totally shocked myself by running 4 miles!! I had totally built up my strength and endurance by doing so much elliptical cardio, and that very first run was the furthest I'd ever run in my life. However, as a few other people have mentioned, a more traditional route that I've heard RAVE reviews about is the Couch to 5k program.

Also, one more note about myself, for anyone who might have extra advice, I have very high arches and dealt with plantar fasciitis for a number of months. Over the past month or 2 I've basically gotten rid of all the pain from it, but obviously I'm hoping to avoid it returning! lol
  • JaredBergeron
    JaredBergeron Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I used to heel strike and have bad knee and back pain, i switched to vibrams (SLOWLY) and now I run pain free. You will find that you run on the balls of your feet mostly (think prancing) so your calves will get tired after a bit. I am up to about 4 miles after about a month of really working on it. When your calves do get tired you will feel yourself start to come down harder on your heels and that would be a bad thing in the middle of a long run.

Vibrams work awesome at the gym as well for both circuits and weight training..my gym even lets them on the mats as an alternative for being barefoot.
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I started running about a month ago and have worked up to 4 miles. I love Runner's world website. ( http://www.runnersworld.com) You can get tons of info on shoe fitting relative to pronation (your arch and how a shoe fits it), going from the couch to a full on running program, the best investments in running gear for a beginner, etc.

I also invested in a good pair of shoes, running socks (no blisters) and clothes that are made to deal with sweat. My shoes are Asics, 2100 series.

The barefoot running shoes, according to the folks at REI and Fleetfeet are not really good for beginning runners. It's a huge controversy so I won't take a stance. They weren't comfy to me as I feel I need more support so I didn't buy them. You can read up on that on Runner's World too.
  • KatieJane83
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! I really appreciate hearing everyone's experiences. Definitely going to check out the links you guys mentioned and really start considering going to get properly fitted.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options

....wanted more of a burn than just walking, so I figured what the hell let me try running (hadn't done it in at least 3 years). I set out coming down mid-foot on the ball of my foot, and totally shocked myself by running 4 miles!!

Please be careful, and don't confuse endurance wtih muscle conditioning. Using an elliptical and running are 2 completely different exercises. Running 4 miles out of the gate, without running at all, is a great way to injure yourself. Lots of people try to do too much too fast and only end up hurting themselves along the way.
  • KatieJane83
    Options

....wanted more of a burn than just walking, so I figured what the hell let me try running (hadn't done it in at least 3 years). I set out coming down mid-foot on the ball of my foot, and totally shocked myself by running 4 miles!!

Please be careful, and don't confuse endurance wtih muscle conditioning. Using an elliptical and running are 2 completely different exercises. Running 4 miles out of the gate, without running at all, is a great way to injure yourself. Lots of people try to do too much too fast and only end up hurting themselves along the way.

Thanks for this advice! Don't worry I'm being very careful, and not pushing myself crazy hard. I also dance several times a week and the last thing I'm looking for is an injury!