Why does it add more calories after I log my exercise?

Options
I'm confused about the science behind my calculated calories.

So far I haven't had any success since I joined MFP. (I'm not giving up) I'm just questioning my understanding of how it all works.

When I log my exercise my calculated calorie count goes up. Does this mean I'm supposed to consume more calories for the day? Or, am I supposed to keep my calorie intake to the original calculation total for the day?

Replies

• jbrautigam24
    jbrautigam24 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Say for example, your caloric goal is 1,200 calories per day. If you burn 200 calories exercising, you will have allowed yourself an additional 200 calories to consume. By burning 200 calories through exercise, that would bring your net calories down to only 1,000. Your NET calories still need to be maintained during the day. So whatever you burn off in exercise, you have to make up for. If you don't, there is a possibility your body could go into starvation mode- which is never good. Your weight will drop by doing this, however, it will not be unwanted fat, but rather lean muscle mass. Does that make sense?
  • tiggerbounce411
    tiggerbounce411 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Because you have "worked off" those calories so it essentially gives them back to you. I generally DO NOT eat what I have worked off, but if you go over it is a nice cushion for you.
  • dandydalek
    dandydalek Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    This is a huge point of contention on MFP -- use the search tab to search "should I eat my exercise calories" and you'll find a wealth of discussion about this topic. Personally, I say YES! Eat your exercise calories! Maybe not all of them all the time, but your body needs fuel to go and if you're exercising it needs MORE fuel.
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    The choice is yours.....some eat their exercise calories, others don't. Best thing to do is experiment & do whatever is best for you. The exercise calories are there for you to eat......you've burnt them off, so you CAN replace them.

Sue :smile: x
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    You are supposed to eat your exercise calories. However, I have better results when I don't, unless it was really intense and I'm starving later.

My suggestion would be to go two weeks eating your exercise calories, and two weeks without, and see which gives you better results.

The reason it's better if I don't, I think, is because I don't do anything hardcore. If you work out a lot, it's probably a better idea to eat those extra calories.
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Say for example, your caloric goal is 1,200 calories per day. If you burn 200 calories exercising, you will have allowed yourself an additional 200 calories to consume. By burning 200 calories through exercise, that would bring your net calories down to only 1,000. Your NET calories still need to be maintained during the day. So whatever you burn off in exercise, you have to make up for. If you don't, there is a possibility your body could go into starvation mode- which is never good. Your weight will drop by doing this, however, it will not be unwanted fat, but rather lean muscle mass. Does that make sense?

Quoting this for the starvation mode comment, not the comment itself: You'll see a lot about starvation mode here and it's even more of an argument than eating exercise calories, I think, but I just want to say, please take it with a grain of salt. If you go below 1200 every once in a while, you don't go into starvation mode. Honestly, some people here use it as a scare tactic more than anything.
  • dannylives3
    dannylives3 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Those added calories are called "exercise calories." (i THINK that's what they're called.) Yes, it's recommended to eat at least half of them back. This way, if you set your daily calorie goal at 1500 and then you burn 500 calories during a workout that day and don't eat them back, you will technically only be eating 1000 calories (because you burned the other 500 off) and hence will not have reached your goal of eating 1500 calories that day. So, MFP adds them for you after you log in your exercise. Thats why you keep hearing about those Polar heart rate monitors.....sometimes MFP wont calculate your calories burned, correctly.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    The idea is that a deficit is already built in to your allotted calories for the day. MFP assumes no exercise when it calculates those calories. So when you DO work out, you get extras.

My calorie intake is set at 1410 (1 pound a week). I eat back enough exercise calories to make sure my NET is at least 1200. So sometimes I eat all my exercise calories back, and sometimes I don't. Just depends on my day, how hungry I am, where I end up eating dinner (Wednesday night dinners at church are really hard to figure), etc.
  • Arccelian
    Arccelian Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    When you set your base values in your profile, put down your activity level as your day would be without any exercise, then MFP will tell you what you should consume during the day to lose weight without any exercise. Now, if you do some exercise one day and you know the amount of calories burned, enter them into MFP and it will tell you how many calories you should consume to make up for the extra loss that day. The total calories MFP will tell you to consume will still be at the deficit you set up as part of your weight loss goals.

MFP base values are quite ballpark however and you need to experiment a bit to find what suits your body and lifestyle. And don't get overly hung up on it, if you do an unschedualed workout late in the evening and suddenly MFP tells you you need to consume an extra 1200 calories, eat a normal meal, as long as it doesn't happen every day, your body is probably equipped to handle it just fine.
  • Sepa
    Sepa Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I eat some of my calories back. MFP suggests that you do eat them all back. It has already worked out the amount of calories you need to consume based on your activity level to loose weight. This isnt based on any exercise which means if you were not to exercise and just stick to your calorie limit you should still see a difference in the scale. That said you will only see a difference if your eating is cleaner too - you will not loose weight by sticking with eating 10 packets of low calorie crisps and diet sodas. Eat lots of veggies, fruit and whole grains - (i so wish i could follow my own advice :laugh:
  • Llilia17
    Llilia17 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for clearing that up for me. This makes sense. Lots of great feedback. I will use your advice and go from there.