Recipe Swap Week 8

Options
inskydiamonds
inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
Recipe swap is a fun group where every week two recipes are shared by our members to be cooked by everyone else in the group!

Recipe Swap Week 7: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/382089-recipe-swap-week-7
If you make a recipe from week 7, please post your review of it on that post.

THIS WEEK rmartin72 AND imagirlovinlife ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR SHARING RECIPES FOR THE REST OF THE GROUP TO MAKE.

Hopefully the recipes are posted today or tomorrow.

1. Sign up by making a post in this thread and I will add you to the member list.
2. Every week there will be TWO recipes/meals submitted by two members. Each member of the community should make the recipe and post their opinions about the recipe/meal, changes they may have made, etc.
3. Each week there will be a new recipe swap post on the MFP boards. This post will be the place that the members responsible for the recipes for the week will post them as well as the place where you should comment about the recipes/meals you cooked. If you make any substitutions or other changes in the recipe, tell us that as well. And by all means, if you take pictures and want to share them, do!

For more information and for the recipes from last week and the member list, check out here: https://docs.google.com/a/u.pacific.edu/document/d/1fqBAaFmtHqOq76VlmyASTE8LX-FnUnYWCYY7QTu6q1o/edit?hl=en_US

Replies

• rmartin72
    rmartin72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Pesto Shrimp with Snow Peas over Quinoa

Work Time: 20 Minutes
    Cook Time: 20 Mintues

3/4 c uncooked quinoa
    1 1/3 c water
    1 tbsp olive oil
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 lb lg peeled shrimp
    3 c snow peas (about 8 oz)
    1/4 c prepared basil pesto
    2 tbsp lemon juice

1. Put quinoa in fine mesh strainer and rinse well under cold water. Transfer to medium saucepan and add water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until water is absorbed and quinoa is tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Fluff with fork and cover until ready to serve.

2. Heat oil in large nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat while quinoa cooks. Add garlic and cook, stirring, 30 seconds. Add shrimp and cook, stirring often, until just pink, about 3 minutes. Stir in snow peas and cook, stirring, 2 minutes longer. Add pesto and lemon juice and cook until warmed and shrimp is done, about 1 minute. Serve over quinoa.
  • Thirstygirl
    Thirstygirl Posts: 122 Member
    Options

3/4 c uncooked quinoa
    1 1/3 c water
    1 tbsp olive oil
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 lb lg peeled shrimp
    2 tbsp lemon juice

1. Put quinoa in fine mesh strainer and rinse well under cold water. Transfer to medium saucepan and add water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until water is absorbed and quinoa is tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Fluff with fork and cover until ready to serve.

2. Heat oil in large nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat while quinoa cooks. Add garlic and cook, stirring, 30 seconds. Add shrimp and cook, stirring often, until just pink, about 3 minutes. Stir in snow peas and cook, stirring, 2 minutes longer. Add pesto and lemon juice and cook until warmed and shrimp is done, about 1 minute. Serve over quinoa.

sounds wonderful - do you have nutritional values???
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I knew I bought that shrimp at the grocery store this week for a reason! Just got to get pesto. Excited to try!
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I have never eated quinoa.........is it like a pasta? or rice maybe??
  • inskydiamonds
    Options

3/4 c uncooked quinoa
    1 1/3 c water
    1 tbsp olive oil
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 lb lg peeled shrimp
    2 tbsp lemon juice

Adding this in now!
    dargtaylor, quinoa is more like rice than pasta. It's a small grain. :)
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much Robby. . this looks amazing. . I am totally going to have to try this!:smile:
  • greenshine
    greenshine Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    sounds great but pesto has a ton of nuts, cheese and oil which makes it not so healthy.....maybe chopped basil would be a better option?
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    sounds great but pesto has a ton of nuts, cheese and oil which makes it not so healthy.....maybe chopped basil would be a better option?

A little bit of fat is actually good for you. Since I'm assuming this serves 4, that's only 1 tbsp of pesto per serving. Granted, you could always either do the pure basil route or just limit the amount of pesto you're putting in the dish.
  • pixiechick8321
    pixiechick8321 Posts: 284 Member
    Options

You can make your own pesto too - fresh basil in a food processor, add a bit of oil (up to you), add pinenuts (again, up to you), and then when it's to the consistency you want, add a grating of fresh parmesan cheese - you can freeze everything but the cheese if you want.

Arugula also makes a good pesto, or a good way to bulk up the basil.

Nuts are really a healthy food, even if they are high in "Fats", it's healthy stuff. Cheese, good quality, is also great for calcium and protein and you don't need a lot of it. Olive oil is also a healthy fat and, again, its up to you how much to use!

This recipe sounds great though and I can't wait to make it - it might be awhile though! :-)
  • lc522
    lc522 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hey can I please join?

Also for the person concerned about the fat in pesto as others have said its mainly healthy fats. Making it is a great option to lower the calories but if your too lazy, like I am, to make it I have another solution. Use 2 tablespoons pesto and 2 tablespoons of your pasta water. It thins the pesto out but still has all the great flavors for half the calories.
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Hey can I please join?

Also for the person concerned about the fat in pesto as others have said its mainly healthy fats. Making it is a great option to lower the calories but if your too lazy, like I am, to make it I have another solution. Use 2 tablespoons pesto and 2 tablespoons of your pasta water. It thins the pesto out but still has all the great flavors for half the calories.

Adding you now. And thanks for the tip on lightening the pesto!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    So, we might only get one recipe this week it looks like.
  • Toenges1
    Toenges1 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    was not able to try last week's but will try this. Looks nummy!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    I added this to my meal plan for next week and will be having it Monday!
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    3/4 c uncooked quinoa
    1 1/3 c water
    1 tbsp olive oil
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 lb lg peeled shrimp
    2 tbsp lemon juice

Had this for supper tonight - it was awesome! Will definately be making this one again!
  • jodimcd
    jodimcd Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    thanks!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    I'm making this dish on Monday!
  • greenshine
    greenshine Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If someone makes it and figures out the servings and calorie count, please let me know! thanks!!!
  • Toenges1
    Toenges1 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I did the recipe calculation - exact recipe but used BROWN MINUTE RICE - not Quinoa.

Serves 4 people (or serve 2 and double your serving size - sitll pretty low cal)

Calories - 288 (576 double serving)
    Carb - 15 g (30 double serving)
    Fat - 11 g (22 double serving)
    Protien- 18 g (35 double serving)
    Sodium - 379 g (758 double serving)
    Fiber - 1 g (2 double serving)
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    So, my version of this meal ended up being entirely a different meal.. But I blame the grocery store I went to yesterday and I either missed the pesto or they didn't have any and they didn't have sugar snap peas either. I had initially decided to use chicken instead of shrimp, just to avoid buying meat when I had stuff to use in the house already. But basically, my version of this dish ended up being a corn pesto I made with garlic, corn, feta cheese, and olive oil, and broccoli instead of the sugar snap peas, and chicken instead of shrimp. Additionally, I detest quinoa so I served it over couscous.

So... while it wasn't the recipe shared, it definitely inspired something yummy!
    And who knew corn pesto would be so good.