so far to go

Options
When I weigh in I see the pounds lost and I am so proud of myself. And then I look at the number I have yet to lose to get to a normal or even overweight range weight and get discouraged. ugh! I know this is the best way to go, the healthiest option. Good diet and exercise. But dang why does it take so long. Im an instant gratification kind of person and man this is really making me exercise patience. Ok *****ing over

Replies

• HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    This is why so many people give up. They want instant results, and don't have the dedication to make it a lifestyle change which will change your body over a long time.

Remember, the faster you lose it, the more chance you have of loose skin, and also more chance of regaining the wait! Just stick with it! :D
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. It was and still is painful how slow changes take. I know that remembering how hard and frustrating it is to have to lose weight will help me from letting myself ever become over weight again. Ive worked too hard to get here, I don't know that my mind could handle doing it again, much easier to maintain :-) good luck friend.
    We are all here for you.
  • diaryoffatdad
    diaryoffatdad Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    if you think about it, what is weight? what are the normal or overweight ranges? Its not important. overweight and obesity are a possible symptom of a greater problem, they are not the problem itself. there are many many perfectly healthy people who are overweight and even obese, and there are many individuals at a "normal weight" who are unhealthy. It is just a number, and the normal weight ranges are just categories used when dealing with large scale populations, not individuals, they don't take into account a lot of important factors.

instead of getting angry because you didn't lose a certain amount of weight, I would shif your focus to the healthy behaviors, let thoes be your goals, eating well and moving as much as possible. If you maintain a healthy lifestyle, the weight will likely come off, but who cares, you have made yourself live a longer happier life, regardless of your weight. Just remember that benifits to eating well and living active trump anything you will see on the scale.

please don't get discouraged we are here to help and support,
  • Maryfullofgrace
    Maryfullofgrace Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    When I weigh in I see the pounds lost and I am so proud of myself. And then I look at the number I have yet to lose to get to a normal or even overweight range weight and get discouraged. ugh! I know this is the best way to go, the healthiest option. Good diet and exercise. But dang why does it take so long. Im an instant gratification kind of person and man this is really making me exercise patience. Ok *****ing over

It just DOES!!! I hate that it does! It is FRUSTRATING! For a while I didn't even look at the BMI range or the healthy weight charts, just MY numbers... made my own graph, got it put on the fridge where I see it often to remind myself that my weight is in a downward direction. It really helped me to stay on course.
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean, it can be frustrating! Really though, even though it seems like we put the weight on overnight...we didn't. It does take time and hard work, but we're worth it!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    As my mom would say: "Patience, my dear."
  • amberrrogers
    Options
    thanks everyone. I am only concerned with getting into the normal range for weight because I am in desperate need of a breast reduction and it will not be able to be done until I get to a certain BMI. Other than that i am focused on the downward trend my weight is taking, and I am happy. I am also thrilled with the amount of exercise and activity that I am able to do now. I love it. I had issues walking to the car or even down the street to our mailbox. Now I can do the elliptical or treadmill or whatever for more than an hour before I feel it. I just want this darn weight to go away. Though i do have to remember it didnt happen over night and wont come off that way either.
  • marzahl68
    Options
    How long did it take you to put on the extra weight?
  • mom2teebee
    mom2teebee Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'd quit look at that overall weight to lose and try breaking it down into smaller and more measurable goals. That way you'll have more goals to reach and it would keep you motivated.
  • carey1932
    carey1932 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    This is why so many people give up. They want instant results, and don't have the dedication to make it a lifestyle change which will change your body over a long time.

This is the part that is FINALLY getting through to me: The weight loss is a by-product of healthy & controlled eating that will help me keep this off over the long term.
    It's the part that gets me through periods of no weight loss when I know I'm doing everything right too.

And yes, even my first goal seems like such a long way off, let alone where I would really like to be.