diets make people gain weight back

Options
ABSOLUTELY NOT.

i am so tired of people blaming a certain eating style or dare i say diet for people getting refat.

I am sorry. doing a diet is not going to make you regain the weight , its what you do afterwards.

I am so tired of hear my mothers, brothers , wife's cousin did <insert hated diet of the day> and lost 85 pounds but gained it back
and then some it was the <insert hated diet of the day> fault

no no it wasn't it was the persons fault. I am sorry if you go down 80 some pounds and gain it back you have no one , or nothing to blame but yourself. Seriously folks if you cannot see yourself getting fat again you are a moron. If by the first 20 pounds back a person doesnt stop and say wow i am gaining i need to re-evaulate my eating habits, then they either don't care or they are morons.

Personaly i lost 80lbs a few years ago , using slim fast and watching what i ate, i stopped for a while with the idea i will stay here a bit then have another go. I gained 50 of it back. I was not slim fast's fault, It was not even that chick what ever her name was fault for od'ing and giving it a bad name. It was MY FAULT i could see myself gaining I could see my clothes getting tight again. I could see the new scrub pants hitting the back of the draw because they did not fit any more I JUST CHOSE TO IGNORE IT .
I know it , i own it.

basically anyone who gains weight back after ANY DIET need to just listen to dr. phils words and JUST OWN IT.

*disclaimer I really dont like dr, phil but his own it statements are probably the only intelligent things he has said*

Replies

• Purecity
    Purecity Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    People shouldnt diet. They should change their lifestyle.
  • BeSkinnyBeStrong
    Options
    I think the idea of gaining it back comes from this..

If you drink slim fast products or eat only 800 calories a day for a year and lose whatever amount of weight, you can't keep eating/drinking like that for the rest of your life which means you'll start eating more and different products which will then make you gain weight. No it's not Slim Fast's or 'diet of the day''s fault but you can't reasonably expect to maintain the weight once you change your eating habits again.

I'm sure someone on here will explain it in a more scientific way but that's the way I see it.
  • Suedre
    Suedre Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Don’t be so angry, stress isn’t good for weight loss. :) Sometimes people do diets that are successful, but are NOT reasonable for a long term lifestyle. It isn’t really their “fault”, more a learning experience. It’s hard a journey and most of us will have mis-steps and do-overs. It takes time and experience to be successful for the long term. Good luck to you, I hope you find your happy place.
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I partly agree with what you are saying but partly not. I agree that people often think of their diet as something they do until they lose the weight then they can go back to what they usually eat (hello? alarm bells?!?). This is obviously their mistake.

On the other hand, ok I am going to use myself as an example even though I still take full responsibility for what happened. When I was 18, I lost about 50kg (over 100lbs) eating 500kcal per day and exercising about 3 hours (1 hour cardio, 1 hour weights, 1 hour yoga and pilates) oh and walking a lot as well - maybe 2 hours each day.

Now, I kept this weight off for a good 5 or more years. To do that, I strictly ate 1500 kcal AND I exercised at high intensity for 4-8 hours each day, I practically lived at the gym. Then when I started working and didn't have all of this time for the gym, I began to regain the weight.

Now, I do take full responsibility for gaining back the weight. That said, had I originally lost weight with a more sensible calorie deficit (I probably could have lost weight on 1500-2000kcal per day), or had I never lost weight then my metabolism wouldn't have been absolutely shot to hell and I should have been able to maintain my weight eating 1500kcal regardless of how much exercise I was doing.

See my point?
  • gemmie_c
    gemmie_c Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Whilst I do agree with you, I do feel that if you chose to lose weight in a sensible and maintainable way then you are giving yourself the best tools to maintain.

I used to work with a girl who would base the quality of a diet on which one let her eat the most chocolate-surely a lifestyle change for the better is the best way of dealing with a weight problem.

Whilst I accept not everyone has the same view as me and I am not knocking anyones efforts, I don't believe in cutting a food group out or replacing food with a drink or taking a miracle pill. To me, losing weight equals life term changes that aren't radical-just sensible.
  • gemmie_c
    gemmie_c Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Whilst I do agree with you, I do feel that if you chose to lose weight in a sensible and maintainable way then you are giving yourself the best tools to maintain.

I used to work with a girl who would base the quality of a diet on which one let her eat the most chocolate-surely a lifestyle change for the better is the best way of dealing with a weight problem.

Whilst I accept not everyone has the same view as me and I am not knocking anyones efforts, I don't believe in cutting a food group out or replacing food with a drink or taking a miracle pill. To me, losing weight equals life term changes that aren't radical-just sensible.
  • Bcaskey0422
    Options
    Agree:
    I am on my third Go around of a "Diet" and after the first two diets, I gained more weight back then I had lost each time. But in hindsight, it has been my lack of discipline with my eating habits that have caused it. I needed to realize that I liked to eat more when I was frustrated or bored.
    whatever the weight loss method. it is up to the individule to learn to keep it off.
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Sometimes people go on "extreme" diets hoping for fast results... and when they get them they are elated but...
    most of those type of diets are impossible to maintain for life.

The best way (in my opnion) is the slow and steady and then maintain your
    healthy lifestyle, good eating habits, and discipline.

Weight gain is never the "diet's" fault unless you are being force fed against your will unspeakable amounts of fat through an IV or someone has held you hostage and fed you the twinkie diet.
  • KavemanKarg
    Options
    Eating right does not make you fat when you stop.

Quitting and going back to eating the old ways is always going to produce the old results.

I do not understand the logic either, of saying "Diet X is bad because I gained when I quit"

By that logic you should also quit brushing your teeth, wearing your seat belt and exercising, because when you stop, bad things may happen.
  • lannlynn
    lannlynn Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    It really is about changing your life! It's for the better. But you don't have to give up on all things.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY NOT.

i am so tired of people blaming a certain eating style or dare i say diet for people getting refat.

I am sorry. doing a diet is not going to make you regain the weight , its what you do afterwards.

I am so tired of hear my mothers, brothers , wife's cousin did <insert hated diet of the day> and lost 85 pounds but gained it back

no no it wasn't it was the persons fault. I am sorry if you go down 80 some pounds and gain it back you have no one , or nothing to blame but yourself. Seriously folks if you cannot see yourself getting fat again you are a moron. If by the first 20 pounds back a person doesnt stop and say wow i am gaining i need to re-evaulate my eating habits, then they either don't care or they are morons.

Personaly i lost 80lbs a few years ago , using slim fast and watching what i ate, i stopped for a while with the idea i will stay here a bit then have another go. I gained 50 of it back. I was not slim fast's fault, It was not even that chick what ever her name was fault for od'ing and giving it a bad name. It was MY FAULT i could see myself gaining I could see my clothes getting tight again. I could see the new scrub pants hitting the back of the draw because they did not fit any more I JUST CHOSE TO IGNORE IT .
    I know it , i own it.

basically anyone who gains weight back after ANY DIET need to just listen to dr. phils words and JUST OWN IT.

*disclaimer I really dont like dr, phil but his own it statements are probably the only intelligent things he has said*

This should be edited to be TRIM SPA
  • FairyMiss
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY NOT.

I know it , i own it.

This should be edited to be TRIM SPA not slim fast , slim fast is nasty
  • FairyMiss
    Options
    Hmm, I partly agree with what you are saying but partly not. I agree that people often think of their diet as something they do until they lose the weight then they can go back to what they usually eat (hello? alarm bells?!?). This is obviously their mistake.

On the other hand, ok I am going to use myself as an example even though I still take full responsibility for what happened. When I was 18, I lost about 50kg (over 100lbs) eating 500kcal per day and exercising about 3 hours (1 hour cardio, 1 hour weights, 1 hour yoga and pilates) oh and walking a lot as well - maybe 2 hours each day.

Now, I kept this weight off for a good 5 or more years. To do that, I strictly ate 1500 kcal AND I exercised at high intensity for 4-8 hours each day, I practically lived at the gym. Then when I started working and didn't have all of this time for the gym, I began to regain the weight.

Now, I do take full responsibility for gaining back the weight. That said, had I originally lost weight with a more sensible calorie deficit (I probably could have lost weight on 1500-2000kcal per day), or had I never lost weight then my metabolism wouldn't have been absolutely shot to hell and I should have been able to maintain my weight eating 1500kcal regardless of how much exercise I was doing.

See my point?

but you can't say that your would have for sure, you allowed yourself to gain back just as i did.
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I could not agree with you more! I'm so tired of it. Every "diet" will fail if you stop doing it and start eating the way that made you heavy in the first place. If you do that, you have no one to blame but yourself.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I suppose it's the same argument as: guns don't kill people - people do.

The reason most of us are FAT is that we over-eat. We don't understand that everything we consume has a Calorie value and if we consume more Calories than we use... we get FAT.

Many people who go on diets do not understand how much they used to eat. They follow the rules of that diet and if the do, they will lose weight. They may or may not also introduce some form of exercise into the diet-plan which in turn will probably accelerate that person's weightloss.

It's true, Doing Atkins didn't make me fat, but neither did it prepare me for what would happen if I returned to eating as I did before.

Also, "Lifestyle" change is the new buzzword of the dieting community.

A lesson I have leant this time around is: honey, if you're eating a calorie deficit... YOU'RE ON A DIET!

Until I joined MFP, I didn't understand the concept of TDEE and how factors like my age as well as my height and gender played a role in how many calories my body needs. And when I started on this latest "journey" (:grumble: apologies for the cliché) I was simply cutting out cakes and sweets and keeping a diary of what I was eating. I went online looking for the calorie-values and that's when I discovered two things: MFP and just how many calories I was consuming on average and that wasn't including the chocolate biccies!!!! :noway:

For the first 8 weeks on MFP I was in DIET mode... eating 1200kc a day and looking for ways to introduce exercise into my life. I lost my first Stone (14lbs 6.5kg) quite quickly and it gave me a boost. I now eat around 1500kc a day and I exercise every single day... even if it's just walking.

Losing weight is almost as addictive as chocolate. The more you lose, the more you want to lose.

I have found a plan that I can live with in the long-term, because I have cut down, not cut out. I still have chocolate or ice cream a couple of times a week. I still drink alcohol every weekend and I don't deny myself anything that I really want. Sure there are times when I'll make a choice to have something a little less calorie-dense, but if I really wanted to have that chocolate bar or bucket of chicken... I would have it. And then move on.... :bigsmile:

Diet's don't make you fat. But the folks that market them ought to spend more time advising basic food and nutrition tips instead of thinking about how many $000s they can make screwing a lot of less-enlightened and more-gullible folks who think they can buy the body of their dreams by following an 8-week diet plan :ohwell:
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    If they ever stop dieting they do.
    I have made this a lifestyle change. I plan to do it forever. :drinker:
  • FairyMiss
    Options

It's true, Doing Atkins didn't make me fat, but neither did it prepare me for what would happen if I returned to eating as I did before.

Diet's don't make you fat. But the folks that market them ought to spend more time advising basic food and nutrition tips instead of thinking about how many $000s they can make screwing a lot of less-enlightened and more-gullible folks who think they can buy the body of their dreams by following an 8-week diet plan :ohwell:

that was not the atkins diet fault, that was your own. Its your responsibilty to learn to eat right.

again they are selling a product, they cannot be responsible for how you live your life.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I suppose it's the same argument as: guns don't kill people - people do.

The reason most of us are FAT is that we over-eat. We don't understand that everything we consume has a Calorie value and if we consume more Calories than we use... we get FAT.

Many people who go on diets do not understand how much they used to eat. They follow the rules of that diet and if the do, they will lose weight. They may or may not also introduce some form of exercise into the diet-plan which in turn will probably accelerate that person's weightloss.

Also, "Lifestyle" change is the new buzzword of the dieting community.

A lesson I have leant this time around is: honey, if you're eating a calorie deficit... YOU'RE ON A DIET!

Until I joined MFP, I didn't understand the concept of TDEE and how factors like my age as well as my height and gender played a role in how many calories my body needs. And when I started on this latest "journey" (:grumble: apologies for the cliché) I was simply cutting out cakes and sweets and keeping a diary of what I was eating. I went online looking for the calorie-values and that's when I discovered two things: MFP and just how many calories I was consuming on average and that wasn't including the chocolate biccies!!!! :noway:

For the first 8 weeks on MFP I was in DIET mode... eating 1200kc a day and looking for ways to introduce exercise into my life. I lost my first Stone (14lbs 6.5kg) quite quickly and it gave me a boost. I now eat around 1500kc a day and I exercise every single day... even if it's just walking.

Losing weight is almost as addictive as chocolate. The more you lose, the more you want to lose.

I have found a plan that I can live with in the long-term, because I have cut down, not cut out. I still have chocolate or ice cream a couple of times a week. I still drink alcohol every weekend and I don't deny myself anything that I really want. Sure there are times when I'll make a choice to have something a little less calorie-dense, but if I really wanted to have that chocolate bar or bucket of chicken... I would have it. And then move on.... :bigsmile:

^ Good post sir.
  • soupreem27
    soupreem27 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's the person's fault and not the diet. BUT....and there's a but...u can't go to extremes with losing weight. 4-8 hours a day in the gym is insane and not realistic. There is no way a person can keep that as a lifestyle change. You have to choose a realistic routine (food/exercise) that you know you can stick with. It's like those contestants on the Biggest Loser who lose a crazy amount of weight on the show because all they're doing is working out. And when they get home they gain because what they were doing on the show wasn't realistic.
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options

See my point?

but you can't say that your would have for sure, you allowed yourself to gain back just as i did.

Um, maybe I can't quite say for sure. But I'm pretty sure any normal person who has not been following a very low calorie diet would be able to maintain their weight at 1500 kcal per day. It is not like I went to unhealthy eating by any means. My point is that by doing the original diet I made it virtually impossible for myself to actually maintain.