I need new music.

Options
erin2081
erin2081 Posts: 368 Member
Any bands or recent obsessions out there in MFP land?
I like accoustic-y, folky, indie-y, lyrically rich poetic stuff....but I'll take any suggestions.
My new favorite at the moment is A Fine Frenzy....love me some Damien Rice...
Tried and true = Leonard Cohen, Willie Nelson....Jackson Browne...

So. Any suggestions?

Replies

• La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    do you know Tegan and Sara?? Awesome awesomeness!
  • SeattleLove
    Options
    Try Paolo Nutini, he is great...
  • Wisks
    Wisks Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    The newest Adele, anything on Garden State soundtrack, City and Colour, Guster,
  • Labcoathipster
    Options
    Any bands or recent obsessions out there in MFP land?
    I like accoustic-y, folky, indie-y, lyrically rich poetic stuff....but I'll take any suggestions.
    My new favorite at the moment is A Fine Frenzy....love me some Damien Rice...
    Tried and true = Leonard Cohen, Willie Nelson....Jackson Browne...

So. Any suggestions?

THE AVETT BROTHERS. You wont be disappointed.
  • thepickygirl
    Options
    I like the same sorts of music. Look up Blind Pilot for sure. I also love South Austin Jug Band (though they're not together anymore), Mumford and Sons, The Civil Wars, Nickel Creek, and Summer Fiction. All really great.
  • RyanDanielle5101
    Options
    Augustana is awesome and I love Damien Rice:)
  • thepickygirl
    Options
    I LOVE Paolo Nutini's song Candy. :)
  • DeepAsAPlate
    DeepAsAPlate Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I second the Avett Brothers.

Iron & Wine. City + Colour. Ray LaMontagne. Fleet Foxes. Bon Iver. Beirut. The Swell Season.
  • bookdame
    Options
    Based on your list... you should listen to john vanderslice! He's from the bay area and reminds me of damien rice

Andrew Bird is GREAT, his Mysterious Production of Eggs or Noble Beast are classics for that genre (in my library anyway:)

Also Deerhunter's Halycon Digest is great.

Atlas Sound - Logos.

Kurt Vile is another really cool indie guitarist. I love the underground indie/rock.
  • diaryoffatdad
    diaryoffatdad Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    dave mathews band, as well as his accustic stuff with tim renyolds, anything by van morrison, jason mraz is pretty good, there are a few great songs by a young canadian lad michael bernard fitzpatric, ummmmm really check out "the tallest man on earth" there are a few to get you started
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    The National, Wilco, The Decemberists, Broken Social Scene, and I second Fleet Foxes, Iron + Wine, Ray Lamontagne, and Bon Iver. : )
  • Banrion
    Banrion Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Noisettes just because they rock!! Today however I am listening to my *itch track which is mostly Evanescence and female rap....

-Angel Taylor acoustic
    -Colbie Caillat acoustic, Killing me softly is amazing
    -Death Cab for Cutie
    -Gavin DeGraw
    -Nikki Yanofsky
    -C.N. Blue, I like Korean pop too
  • heidiberr
    heidiberr Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Oh you are totally talking my language. I second Iron and Wine, Dave Matthews, Jason Mraz.

I suggest Wilco, The Mountain Goats, Minus the Bear, Bright Eyes, Edward Sharpe and Magnetic Zeros, Death Cab for Cutie, and Regina Spektor---if you want specific album suggestions, let me know
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Shearwater
    Destroyer
    Gillian Welch
    The Swell Season
    Warpaint
    Feist
    Gonzales
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Break out the oldies and try:

James Taylor
    Carole King
    Bonnie Raitt
    Pure Prairie League
    Van Morrison

Sometimes, old can be NEW!

LOL :love: :flowerforyou: :love: :flowerforyou: :love:
  • diaryoffatdad
    diaryoffatdad Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Oh you are totally talking my language. I second Iron and Wine, Dave Matthews, Jason Mraz.

I suggest Wilco, The Mountain Goats, Minus the Bear, Bright Eyes, Edward Sharpe and Magnetic Zeros, Death Cab for Cutie, and Regina Spektor---if you want specific album suggestions, let me know

i forgot about death cab.....and wilco......I think you and I will get along quite well

googling these other bands as we speak
  • RyanDanielle5101
    Options

i forgot about death cab.....and wilco......I think you and I will get along quite well

googling these other bands as we speak

Yep Death Cab is awesome too:)
  • DeepAsAPlate
    DeepAsAPlate Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Yes! Death Cab for Cutie. And Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros. Dig out some Simon & Garfunkel and Donovan, too. Belle & Sebastian. David Gray. And James Vincent McMorrow.

Sorry. I'm kind of a music junkie.
  • heidiberr
    heidiberr Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Belle & Sebastian--great choice!

I like Jack Johnson and Gomez as well.