Ignorant people at the gym... grrr

Options
Everybody knows the people i'm talking about.. Those people who buddy up at the gym just to make fun of people who are busting their butts trying to better themselves. I lost it yesterday when i heard a mother/ daughter duo laughing and making fun of an overweight woman who was trying her best to jog. Mom and kid were hogging the whole walking track to begin with and whould whisper and laugh making comments everytime the woman jogged by. Seriously at what point do you actually grow up. Not sure if they were mad they actually had to move out of her way or what. Hard to tell what they were saying about me.. I commented "at least she is jogging" turned my music up and kept going. These are the same women who have a "favorite" machine at the gym and will stand right next to it until you are done... (this just makes me want to add an extra 15 minutes to my workout...lol) Last time i checked they don't own the place.. Sorry but this crap really bothers me... Its not just kids who have to deal with bullies i guess

Replies

• catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    whoa, my gym is so tiny nothing like that ever happens. At least not that I have seen. That's too bad.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Trip them.
  • deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I hate gym rats that don't practice perfect technique and sacrifice form for those extra 45s. I silently laugh at them, but at the same time I pity their health.
  • AmberLiscous
    AmberLiscous Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    So glad that i dont have to deal with that at my gym ...but it is very sad to hear about
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I have never seen this at my gym, either. People seem to just get on with their workouts and not really focus on what other people are doing.
  • Tams1408
    Options
    That is one of the reasons I prefer to work out at home or walk outside. They don't know that in my case I've already lost a total of 65 pounds. I don't think they care. I think it makes them feel better about themselves to put other people down and that tends to make me mad.
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    that's why i workout at home. lol
  • april522
    april522 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Fortunately, I've never encountered this at the gym I go to, but it would frustrate me to no end also, and I wouldn't be able to hold my tongue. Whenever I see extremely overweight people at the gym or in my fitness classes I do, I am happy they are bettering themselves, even if they can't keep up. At least they're doing something, and that's a start! I even give words of encourgement before aerobics class actually begins.
  • Tuffjourney
    Options
    Trip them.

LOL, yes this. :laugh:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Idiots are all around us.
  • amdsdc
    amdsdc Posts: 23
    Options
    Thats absolutely horrible! Thats exactly why I mainly work out at home so that I dont have to deal with any of that!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I have never seen this at my gym, either. People seem to just get on with their workouts and not really focus on what other people are doing.

ive only seen it one time at mine
  • chatterbox3110
    chatterbox3110 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    ...and that's why so many bigger people don't get to the gym. I get 'looks' but no-one has actually made any comments - or if they have, I've not heard them.

It's hard enough for those who are very big to raise the courage to go to a gym, I know from personal experience, but at least we're there working towards a goal, and not just being a 'lycra lovey' as they are nicknamed at our gym!!!! I've yet to see some of them even get a glow let alone break out in a sweat!!!
  • Iamachocaholic
    Options
    LOVE the two "trip them" comments ... LOL
    Luckily I haven't seen this at my gym either, but that really is just nasty and says alot about who the mother and daughter are as people ... kudo's to the woman trying! :)
  • blizzy1
    blizzy1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I prefer to workout at a community center, not the same attitude there.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    that's terrible, so glad i've never encountered this at my gym.
  • anewattitude
    anewattitude Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Fortunately I have not noticed anything like that at my gym!
  • emilydmac
    emilydmac Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    That is so mean I can't even stand it! How can someone do that to another person? It is so commendable for that woman to even be working out in the first place, much less jogging (which I don't even do). I can only imagine how hurt she must have felt hearing those two girls make fun of her. I would be crushed. That just isn't okay.
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    We have a ton of arrogant fools that think they are the bomb!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQEB0qCXNGKpupvS8m0T3eeBsLl7iFDl5NXhfUhFZu6scdimjbFaA
  • RunningFetus
    Options
    lol Oh I know exactly what you mean! We have these group of Jersey Shore wannabes who scream when they workout, so I walk by and casual say, Yeah I wish I could be bigger by screaming too. Most of those people though don't even have correct form so let em trash talk in a yr they will be the ones with the major back knee and shoulder injuries!