Do you log these things?

Options
1. Your weight training exercises? Currently I don't... I have in the past, but it doesn't really seem to serve a purpose. I guess you could go back to see improvement, but otherwise it doesn't seem to make a difference that I can see....

2. Water consumption? I was at first logging it, but then I stopped, because it's not like you can really even go back and see. Well, I guess you *could* if you went back through the calendar on your food diary (possibly?) but otherwise I don't see much point unless you're being very conscious of your water consumption.

3. When you are "tasting" something? If it's just a literal "taste" of it... do you count the calories for it? For example, I taste food a lot when I cook it, because I don't always follow an exact recipe, and sometimes it just simply goes by how it tastes.

4. Low or "negative' calorie foods, like pickles, lettuce or gum? Or diet soda?

Just curious, no right or wrong answers here. :smile: (the answer for all four for me is "no".)

Replies

• ladyofivy
    ladyofivy Posts: 648
    Options
    1. Your weight training exercises? Currently I don't... I have in the past, but it doesn't really seem to serve a purpose. I guess you could go back to see improvement, but otherwise it doesn't seem to make a difference that I can see....

2. Water consumption? I was at first logging it, but then I stopped, because it's not like you can really even go back and see. Well, I guess you *could* if you went back through the calendar on your food diary (possibly?) but otherwise I don't see much point unless you're being very conscious of your water consumption.

3. When you are "tasting" something? If it's just a literal "taste" of it... do you count the calories for it? For example, I taste food a lot when I cook it, because I don't always follow an exact recipe, and sometimes it just simply goes by how it tastes.

Just curious, no right or wrong answers here. :smile: (the answer for all four for me is "no".)
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    1) no. i don't have an HRM so i have no way of really knowing. i only log exercises that raise my heart rate.
    2) nope. i have 20 oz. water bottles so i try and drink 3 of those a day plus two for when i workout. i don't know how many actual cups that is. i just keep track of the oz.
    3) not really. sometimes, i'll try to leave 100 or so calories if i know i have a wider margin of error.
    4) if its convenient i will but i'm not going to go out of my to log 7 calories worth of lettuce.
  • pauladavies86
    pauladavies86 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    no on all but the water consumption. I try to keep track of that because I notoriously don't drink enough liquids in general.
  • wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    nope I don't log any of those!:laugh:
  • flcaoh
    flcaoh Posts: 444
    Options
    1. Nope, but if it was a long or especially vigerous session I will log it in the cardio section under weight/strength training just to log the calories burned.

2. Same here, used to... don't any more. All I drink is water and unsweetened iced green tea. I use a bottle that is 32 ounces and I make sure I drink atleast 2 of those a day.

3. Nope. But I don't do a lot of taste testing either.

4. Sometimes. Gum, no. I don't eat it, I chew it LOL. Generally, If it has 0 calories, it doesn't get logged. I do log pickles, but just to watch my sodium.

5. I also don't log olive oil. Seeing as though it's crazy high in calories, this probably isn't the smartest thing on my part. But I don't use gobs and gobs of it. Maybe a half a spoonful when I pan sear a chicken breast. I'm not too worried about it. I am losing steadily so I'm not going to change any of this unless I stop losing for a while. As my grandfather used to always say, "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" LOL
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    A 20 oz bottle is 2.5 cups. 8oz to a cup.

I have been loging water, but mostly because I am trying to increase my water intake. As for the rest, I go with the, "if it is convenient" I mean, I don't usually just decide to eat 7 calories worth of lettuce. If I'm eating it, it is in a salad, so I do log it with all the other stuff in the salad. But, if I were to just have a "taste" of something, I probably wouldn't bother. I just don't want to have too many tastes. LOL.
  • cheli
    cheli Posts: 40
    Options
    1) no. i don't have an HRM so i have no way of really knowing. i only log exercises that raise my heart rate.

strength exercises don't raise your heartrate? man, i am all sweaty and red in the face at the end of a good strength training session....and there is no jumping or running around, etc involved. just a suggestion, but to anyone who doesn't feel like they are raising their heartrate through a weight training session, you should up the weight and/or do different exercises. Its worth it for the extra calorie burn :smile:
  • terri0027
    terri0027 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    1) I log all exercise because I am in the camp that 1200 calories is only the limit if you don't exercise. The counter actually increases the number of allowable calories per day when you add exercise and so I figure it all counts.

2) I keep track of water each day just to remind me to drink it. It is more for motivation.

3) I always put in calories even from tasting...usually I do this by increasing my portion size. It is too easy to taste extra calories by not thinking them as counting. A 1/8 cup is only 6 teaspoons. Depending on the dish, it can add up.

4) I count pickles and things that have sodium because I am tracking that for health purposes.
  • ladyofivy
    ladyofivy Posts: 648
    Options
    The counter actually increases the number of allowable calories per day when you add exercise and so I figure it all counts.

But not for weight training, which is why I don't count it. :wink: Only for cardio. I guess when you weight train, all those calories go back into restoring your muscles, rather than into weight loss.
  • leeanne1317
    Options
    I log everything so I can see where I can make improvements
  • Shadowpaws
    Shadowpaws Posts: 109
    Options
    I'm not going to log my 5 calorie vitactive vitamins. :laugh:

I'm not going to stress over those. Not worth it IMO.
  • terri0027
    terri0027 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Oh, I know what you mean. Strength Training is one of the cardio exercises and I put in the amount of time spent.
  • newlifestyle36
    Options
    I ONLY COUNT MY CARDIO NOT MY WEIGHT TRANING

I ALWAYS COUNT MY WATER BECAUSE FOR 2 WEEKS ALMOMST 3 MY WEIGHT STAYED THE SAME I CHECKED EVERYTHING I COULD THINK OF TO SEE WHY I WASN'T LOSING ANY WEIGHT SO I WHEN IT CAME TO MY WATER I MEASURED MY WATER AND IT WAS WAY OFF SO NOW THAT I KNOW I HAVE THE CORECT AMOUNT I STARTED TO LOOSE WEIGHT AGIAN YAY !!! SO YES ALWAYS MAKE SURE YOU DRINK ENOUGH WATER !! IT DOES MAKE A DIFFRENCE

:bigsmile: GOOD LUCK ALL !!!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I use to in order to track them, then I got lazy.
    I do to encourage me to drink at least 8. I love seeing 9+ when the water splashes out! (Imma dork.)
    Nope, I just try to limit the tasting.
    Nope. I'd burn off those 5 calories in the effort to look it up and add it!
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    The counter actually increases the number of allowable calories per day when you add exercise and so I figure it all counts.

But not for weight training, which is why I don't count it. :wink: Only for cardio. I guess when you weight train, all those calories go back into restoring your muscles, rather than into weight loss.

Lady - put "strength training" in under the cardio section and it logs the calories - you have to put in the # of minutes, but it will credit you with some calories earned. Not a lot -but still!
  • sassyredgirl
    sassyredgirl Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I log everything in. And i do add my weight training in as well . But thats just me. Today i went to the gym and was so excited another 4lbs down. But one thing i def have to work on is these dang bat wings wth.
  • amie1004
    amie1004 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Yes to all but number 4.

I log my weight training when I do it just because it makes me feel good to "make it official":laugh:

Water...log it....mostly because I am AWFUL at getting it in.

Tastes....just up my portion sizes
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    One of my weight training days I burn 400+ calories so yeah I log that! The measley 200ish days I don't know why I don't feel like logging those but I do to keep record.
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    One of my weight training days I burn 400+ calories so yeah I log that! The measley 200ish days I don't know why I don't feel like logging those but I do to keep record.

:laugh: Yeah - I would even log the 200. Shoot - I log it when I do it and I only get credited for 98 calories. I'll take 'em baby! But, I'm doing the strength training video that is 20 mins - so not a lot of calories burned during that - but the after burn and the effects are way worth it.
  • rower45
    rower45 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I logged my exercise and my food but not my water. I was only about 500 calories over on the weekend and I gained 3 pounds. I think that it may be that I am not getting enough water ---- and I was drinking wine so I be retaining water.

Because I exercised every day --- there is no reason for me to gain weight.

Any thoughts from you more experienced folks out there?

Nancy