Am I the only one that struggles some days with stay with in

Options
There are some days I do GREAT and then others not so much. I get down on myself when I mess yp but when I'm the only one in the house working on my weight it's hard. There are so many tempting foods that I shouldn't touch but still do on occasion. Pepsi is my big time weakness and my husband can't live without it or I'd just stop buying it all together. Please someone tell me I'm not alone with this struggle. What are your ways to overcome these struggles. I try to work out everyday if not every other day to help with my extra calories. I just want to be able to continue losing weight and I don't want to get to the point I used to be when I just didn't care.

Replies

• mleoni092708
    mleoni092708 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Oh I definitely have days where it's harder to stay on plan than others. I've been trying to get my husband on board but I'm trying not to push it and cause issues. You just put the blinders on and keep moving forward. If you feel like you want to have some pepsi every day, then make room for it in your plan. I still eat unhealthy foods sometimes-we all do-no one is perfect. I know it's hard, but you are doing great-keep it up!
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    As long as your better days are more often than the not so good days, it might all balance out in the end. I have somedays for whatever reason I am way under my calorie limit, then I'll have a day that I'm way over, but usually it all comes out okay over the course of a week. I think if you plan your treats and your exercise you can make it work. I like to leave room for a glass of wine most days. That can't be any worse than making room for a glass of Pepsi! Remember, these are long term changes for the better. You can do it!
  • monroe61
    monroe61 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I struggle everyday and me and my husband are doing this together...but sometimes I get discouraged because he has been doing this for less time and has lost 40lbs already and me only 18 which I am happy with but it gets annoying.
    Then when I walk past the vending machine with all the junk in it I just want to buy it all and sit and stuff my face! LOL

You are definately not alone!!!!
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I don't buy/bring into the house anything AI can't ear without bunging. Soda and coffee I gave up old turkey because I knew there was no gradual for me. I don't drink coffee because of insomnia & as much as people want to justify drinking it there is NOTHING healthy about soda.
    Everything else I just plan into my diary. I struggle with going over on my macros, but I have only gone over on my calories once since I have been here. I take this seriously and I look at my diary often and plan as much of my food as possible. I really put forth great effort to examine what I eat and why. I'm not going to splurge and then sit back and try to justify not doing what I know I need to.
  • jennynmorris
    jennynmorris Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, my husband has the opposite problem than I do, he can't gain weight to save his life, so he can eat whatever when ever and how much ever. It gets really frustrating, he is very supportive but he just doesn't understand what it is like to be overweight. Its hard to stay strong and it seems to be just a big mental struggle. Good luck to you!!
  • Fishing4Stars
    Options
    This is a little to the side of your topic, but I do struggle with the same thing. I think it is really important psychologically to have successes, lest we become too discouraged and give up. For this reason I change my goals occasionally to reflect challenging moments in my life.

Right now I am applying to law school, studying for the big exam and working full-time. It is very hard to exercise every day, and if I don't my "1lb per week" calorie amount is too low, so I feel tired and hungry all the time. So - I put my goal down to "1/2 pound per week," which is an amount of food I can stand without going to the gym. Once my big test is over (Dec. 3rd,) I'll put my goal back up. Be nice to yourself and give yourself credit for doing the best you can in challenging situations!

Good luck :)
  • caroln3
    caroln3 Posts: 217
    Options
    You are not the only one, I struggle immensely with staying within my calories and I usually give in to things I shouldn't eat. There are some days when I do well and I feel very good about myself but those days are rare. What has been helping me is that I exercise alot. I do alot of zumba, jogging, climbing stairs, walking, exercise videos, but sometimes that is not enough. I am currently trying to figure out how I can stop craving or not eat when I am not hungry or not eat too much or not each junk. I am not giving up. So far, I have lost about 20 lbs since June of this year but I have 40 to go and as hard as it was to lose those 20 then I know I have to do much better and work harder, and it will be a long road. I can do it though and so can you!

p.s. I have learned not to feel guilty about what I eat though and I just start the next day over. It has helped alot! Don't give up!
  • maddyg1989
    maddyg1989 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    leann74016 --- Don't worry about the struggle... It's gonna happen. My problem is Diet Dr. Pepper. But once you've stopped eating/drinking your addiction, they don't taste the same and you're not likely to go back. My hubby still drinks them and always gets me one but I don't drink it and mess with him about always being the bad guy. lol. Don't focus so hard on being perfect. If that's all you do, you will fail (been there, done that). It's easier when you focus on what you can have, not what you can't. Like pasta... I LOVE LOVE LOVE pasta. But I can have pasta.... whole wheat or veggie and in moderation! Thinking like this makes everything better. And try to get your husband to try different things or help. And if he doesn't want to do what you're doing, ask him to hide it or try to stop one thing that gives you the most problems with your new healthy lifestyle (don't diet - they don't work). Hope this helps your outlook and makes everything easier for you. Friend me if you'd like, I'm a good motivator. lol
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Definitely not alone. I struggle all the time. I have one minor set back and all my hard work goes out the window.

I feel you on the pepsi thing....it's like crack to me. We went a whole year without having it in the house (just on special occasions like having a BBQ) but then my husband started buying it again and now we have it all the time.

He says water makes him gag, and he doesn't like milk....he was drinking cyrystal light there for a while but now it's all back to pepsi. What seems to work for me is, when I am just dying for one, like last night I've found that just a sip will help kick the craving. So I asked hubs if he wanted one, and I took the first (glorious) sip, then I handed off the other 140 calories to him. It seemed to work really well. It deosn't help his waistline, but he would drink it anyway, so....

I've also got to be brutally honest with myself. My weight has climbed to the point where I am not getting my period anymore (or at least haven't since Aug 31). Getting a regular period is very important when trying to conceive. We've been trying since May and we are both 32, so I am starting to get panciky about it not happening yet. We can keep trying, but I know it won't do much good until I drop at least 10-20 pounds to get my cycles back on track, so when I want something bad for me I asked myself, do you want that cookie, or do you want a baby? That helps put things in perspective.
  • abjel628
    Options
    I really understand what you are feeling. Certain foods just set my mouth watering if I smell them. Once in a great while I have a taste. I take a tbsp and have one small taste. At times that helps fight wanting more. Sometimes it backfires and I want A LOT more. Instead of giving in and having more, I walk away. It's not easy to do, but it makes me feel stronger. My husband told me to take one day at a time and to never beat myself up for slipping beacause it does happen. I pass this advice onto you. If you slip a little, just pick yourself up and get right back on track. You cannot linger on what you did wrong, it only makes it worse. I hope this has helped even just a little. Good luck everyone! :)
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    You are not alone!
    Everyone has good & bad days, even good & bad weeks!
    For me the thing is to keep thinking about what I eat. As long as I keep in mind what I am eating and I log it. I can adjust for bad days as I go.

With regards to sugar loaded soft drinks. Kick the habit! What ever you need to do just stop drinking pop.
    What I did to kick my Coke habit: I started adding small quantities of plain club soda to my glasses of coke. In addition I also, always drank a glass of water before I poured myself a Coke. Over time I increased the proportion of club soda to the point where I no longer tasted the cola flavor. from that point I had kicked the habit.

Now I will maybe have a pop once every 3 - 4 weeks. Usually a gingerale.

good luck!
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    you're not alone. just one day at a time. find other activities to occupy your time. I eat when I have too much time on my hands. walks are always nice :)
  • Leanna109
    Leanna109 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have the same problems. I will so good eat great, excerise and feel great for about 3 or 4 days then something happens and I loose all the will power to stay on track! It makes me feel like I'm failing and hard to get back on track! How do you guys get yourself motivated again!?
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Think of it as practice. You do not become accomplished at anything without practice, and that includes making errors (or even cutting a few practice sessions - Heh).

If you bob up and down but lose weight in general, then you are on the correct path. There are no grades for this course, only encouragement. No time limit. No tests. Learn and lose at your pace, with a plan you helped design.

When was the last time you had a deal like that?:bigsmile: