Perogies

Options
Does anyone know of a more healthful way to serve perogies?

Before I started watching what I eat, I just used to eat them alone, fried in a pan with butter and onions. Occasionally I would use sour cream and bacon as well.

I am thinking of eating half the amount (or less) with a healthy and filling side dish, but I can't think of what to serve with them.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Forgot to mention, cooking for my vegetarian fiance as well.

Replies

• sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    LOVE perogies! Traditionally, my family would serve them with sausage so maybe some chicken sausage and a salad. I haven't tried the chicken sausage yet but I've seen the commercials and am interested.
  • SmugCanucksGal
    SmugCanucksGal Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Boil them instead of frying.
    Lowfat Sour Cream or even yogurt would be great!
  • mleoni092708
    mleoni092708 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    This recipe is very rich and delicious. I usually have green beans on the side.

Baked Pierogi Casserole
    • 4 servings
    281 calories per serving
    1 16 oz. package or frozen pierogies
    Pam
    2 lean bacon slices, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    3 oz. low fat cream cheese
    ½ c chicken broth
    ½ c shredded low fat cheddar cheese
    ¼ c sliced scallions
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place pierogies in a bowl and cover with hot water to defrost. Drain well. Spray 9×13 pan with Pam and add pierogies. Heat a skillet and cook the bacon the remove and set aside (crumble it when it is cool enough). Add garlic to pan and sauté 30 seconds then add cream cheese and cook 1 minute. Whisk in broth and then pour over the pierogies. Add the cheese on top and bake 20 minutes or until heated. When done, sprinkle with bacon, scallions, salt and pepper.
  • v35lmt
    v35lmt Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I know! They are soo good.

A salad might be a good idea. I should have mentioned in the original post that I'm also cooking for a vegetarian, so any kind of sausage/meat is out. A salad by itself will not fill us up so we don't eat so many of the delicious perogies.

Any other tricks up your sleeve?
  • mrpurdy
    mrpurdy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I love perogies too... there's a polish store that sells them here along with real polish kielbasa - omg yummy! and not so healthy...

Chicken sausage are actually very good - try different types, you're bound to find something you like!
  • Hanna82
    Hanna82 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I love perogies just the way they are.
  • sunset19
    sunset19 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    To me, non-fat sour cream tastes just like the full fat, so I'd go with that. If you want to avoid butter items, you can also bake these guys, I'd just spray lightly with a non-stick cooking spray. You could also just put them stovetop and sautee with a lower fat version of butter/olive oil. I think they'd be great with any steamed vegetable to be honest! Just pick your favorite! I can't wait to buy some myself!
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options

A salad might be a good idea. I should have mentioned in the original post that I'm also cooking for a vegetarian, so any kind of sausage/meat is out. A salad by itself will not fill us up so we don't eat so many of the delicious perogies.

ohhhhh - maybe Golumpkis?
  • Sandyslosenit
    Sandyslosenit Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Boil them then drizzle a low sodium chicken gravy over top.
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I boil them then add them to a hot skillet with some spray oil to brown them, serve them with Greek yogurt and baby spinach. I think the idea of making them with chicken sausage is a GREAT idea! :heart:
  • v35lmt
    Options

ohhhhh - maybe Golumpkis?

I've never heard of that before, will definitely look it up! Thanks.
  • v35lmt
    Options
    I boil them then add them to a hot skillet with some spray oil to brown them, serve them with Greek yogurt and baby spinach. I think the idea of making them with chicken sausage is a GREAT idea! :heart:

mmmmm... Greek yogurt and baby spinach sounds delicious. As does the chicken sausage... silly vegetarian fiance. lol.
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    oh man, grocery day is sooo far away and I want perogies tonight!