I'm on day 2 of the 30DS and... im gaining weight?!

Options
I went from 206 three days ago to 207.4
Ive been sticking to my 1300 cal goal as set by MFP - so why am i gaining weight? This sucks!

Replies

• poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Your body is probably retaining water for muscle repair. When you start working out, your muscles hold onto more water.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Water weight gain (sodium level), TOM, time of day you weighed in........lots of other explanations. Don't fret over one weigh in. If you still weigh more at the end of the week ... then you might be concerned. I'm sure it's not the workout.
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Quit weighing yourself. 30DS is fairly intense, you will be retaining fluid like crazy while your muscles try to recover.
  • iHEARTcardiacnurses
    Options
    It could be water. Your muscles will hang onto water after exercising. Don't weigh yourself every day, wait until your specified weigh in date. It's okay :) it's about the weight in the long run!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    If one person says muscle gain....:explode:
  • ymvestal
    Options
    I did the same when I started 30DS. after about 4 days the scale moved back down again. Don't fret!
  • bitzee
    bitzee Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Im on day 8 and although the scales have barely budged, I have lots of clothes that are now too slack :-) I can see the difference too! stick with it, itll be worth it, i cant wait till day 30!!
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Yep. It's water. Your muscles hold fluid to facilitate repairs of the micro-tears from exercise. This is a good thing.

You can expect a similar "gain" every time you challenge your muscles and they become sore. But don't worry. It's temporary.

Be totally true to yourself when logging food (measure everything!). Give the shred your all every day. Stay the heck away from the scales; they are not telling the whole story! Take your measurements with a tape, instead. You will be amazed with the results...I promise!

Most of all, HAVE FUN!
  • Ichbinceiling
    Options
    Its water. If you read the past forums and blogs, its highly typical for people to gain weight the first week.

Don't worry... It'll go away!
  • Texas501
    Texas501 Posts: 274
    Options
    It's most likely MUSCLE G..........umm.....never mind................
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I weight 10lbs heavier at night than in the morning. Alot of variables are at play here.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    It's most likely MUSCLE G..........umm.....never mind................

*AHEM* :noway:

lol
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I'm on Day 8 of the 30DS and I had the same problem on Day 4 or 5. So I made myself stay away from the scale, it's killing me not to know what I weigh but I'm not getting back on that blasted scale until Thanksgiving day morning. I feel like I'm in better shape and I can finally see my weight loss thanks to the toning so I'm focusing on that right now. Remember it's not just about the scale, it's about being healthy.

One of my other MFP pals has the same problem, you are not alone in this.
  • angelxxoh
    Options
    Thankyou all! This makes me feel soooo much better!
  • Sassi50
    Sassi50 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    It is definitely water. Drink, drink, drink...your body needs it to repair your muscles. And keep in mind....muscle is much more dense than fat, so while you may lose inches, the scale may not budge....muscle takes up less space. Keep at it.... we're all in the same boat (including the pain from the workouts!!!!)
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    If one person says muscle gain....:explode:

I was actually waiting for someone to day muscle gain.