Unhealthy Work Environment

Options
Okay guys... I need help!

I work in an office full of people who snack all day form the candy jar and who consider a bag of chips and a soda from the vending machine appropriate lunch food. I've told everyone I'm working on calorie counting and exercise but people still want me to throw down on candy with them. My boss went as far as to offer to buy lunch for me at a fast food restaurant! I had to politely decline like 5 times before she got it.

Any advice or stories on how to deal with people that don't seem to be encouraging??

Replies

• MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Learn what you can safely order from those places so you can go out to lunch with your co-workers.
    Bring your own snacks --- and just tell them no.

If they continue harassing you to eat crap, get new friends. They sound like jerks :)
  • Sumo813
    Sumo813 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Had a former supervisor who just didn't get it. She was diabetic and by bringing in candy for everyone else, she felt it was a great accomplishment that she had the will power to stay away from it. Well, guess what, not everyone has that same will power and you are only making people sick. I would constantly gripe whenever she brought in junk (I mean, she would go to Sam's and buy truckloads of candy and other crap). Easiest thing to do is counteract it by bringing in something healthy, like a veggie tray (and get a bottle of low cal dressing to go with it). Otherwise, let them bring the junk and let other people eat it. Eventually, they will see they are just wasting their money.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Honestly, keep doing what you are doing. If they put it on the desk.. say no thank you, put it on the counter in the break room for someone else to have.

If they offer, give them a firm 'no thank you' and tell them you really need to get back to work.

If they continue to push, that is when I would draw the line and tell them that you have already politely said no-thank-you, and you would appreciate them taking NO for an answer...

I work in a professional kitchen - Im around food ALL the time.. and definitely have no problem eating everything in sight.... I also have management's 100% understanding of my food sensitivities and allergies and therefore CANNOT taste test everything that is made due to a very involved medical diagnosis. The Exec Chef is such a great guy and VERY understanding too...

Ive been asked by our customers how I can resist the urge to grab a french-fry... I tell them the truth: fried food is not healthy and I cant even digest it otherwise I could put myself in the hospital with insulin shock... Its happened once and thats all it took to remove the allergens from my intake....
  • Bigaug
    Bigaug Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I doubt anyone is trying to be hostile, they're just insensitive. My coworkers do the same things here. In most cases they know I am 'reducing' but ask out of politeness anyway. I have a drawer full of healthy snacks for myself but make it a point to offer some to the same people out of politeness.

aug
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    No means no.

They are just trying to be nice when they offer fast food. Not everyone is on a diet - so we should politely decline their generous offers and steer clear of the vending machines that do bring others so much joy.

:flowerforyou:
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh...I know the feeling! Most of the people I work wtih go over to Target and get a bunch of crap from the snack bar there and consider that a meal. Usually they'll pick up one of those awful pizzas or pastas from the Pizza Hut stand. *shudder*

It is up to you to show them the way. Believe me, once I started dropping weight a lot of people stopped with the snarky "Ohhh someone's eating HEALTHY" comments. Usually I will just smile and say that the food I pack makes me feel better than McDonald's (or whatever they are offering). Or I say my stomach can't handle it, which is actually the truth now that I don't eat that stuff regularly!

I go grocery shopping on my lunch break and pack a bag full of stuff to keep at work-- yogurt, berries, lettuce, veggies, etc. I have my own personal stash of healthy foods that I replenish about once a week. Saves a lot of calories and money!
  • jessicanottingham
    jessicanottingham Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I work in the same kind of environment! I have to look at it like this: while everyone else is eating junk, I'm working on making better food choices and getting healthier. it's a fun little experiment in my mind to watch my body change while everyone else stays the same! I don't know about anyone else, but that helps my mentality. it also really helps when you find yummy alternatives for lunch and snacks, so when you have those "blech, I'm on a diet" days (we all do), it isn't so bad when you enjoy what you're eating.

let us know when you find something that works!!
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    They are probably jealous of you.
  • tawny9753
    tawny9753 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I completely understand. I work right next to the office candy jar. Which is always stocked with tempting goodies. Sometimes our company buys us lunch or one of our nice vendors brings us Krispy Creme donuts or pizza and cookies. Office potlucks and going out for lunch are also popular.

So instead of being the annoying office mate who never goes out with the group, only eats salad instead of pizza or gasp! declines the donuts and cookies I chose to:

1. Plan ahead for going out at lunch by eating a light breakfast and light dinner. Plan what you'll have ahead of time and stick with it.
    2. Bring in some lower calorie candies like fun size packs of twizzlers that I can have one or two of without blowing my diet.
    3. Bring something healthier to potlucks and pick one splurge item and have a small portion.
    4. When you do eat something you shouldn't have (bound to happen sometime, right?) then just commit to working it off rather than giving up or starving yourself. Over the following days exercise the extra calories off.
    5. Eat the tempting item, but only eat half. Split it with someone. I think moderation instead of abstinence is much easier to accomplish and you won't get as much flack.

People are just mad that you're doing what they SHOULD be doing. I know, I've been the person for a while who secretly hates my coworker because she's losing weight and I'm not. When I should be following in her footsteps and taking better care of myself.

When you start losing weight, feeling better about yourself and not getting sick when everyone else in the office is passing around a cold or the flu you will be so happy and they'll probably have a change of attitude.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Food is a social thing in modern society, and people are going to offer people treats and snacks and lunches because it's what we've been doing to show friendliness for at least a couple hundred years.

Just a thought - they're only coworkers, so they don't necessarily have to be supportive of your personal life. That being said, politely decline as many times as it takes and keep doing what you're doing.
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    The lady with the allergens has a great idea!! Tell them that your body has issues with these foods and, to keep yourself healthy, you must say "NO" to all their offers, unless they are high fiber and natural.
    How does that sound? Have fun! :drinker: (lots of water)
  • withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    If they are asking you to chip in on snacks, tell them that you aren't eating any of them, so you'd prefer not to. If it's becoming an issue that it may cause problems in the office if you don't pay in, ask if you can pay a bit less than everyone else since you can't eat most of it or offer to do the snack shopping and buy sweets, but also get some dried fruit or peanuts or something a bit more healthy to share.

They certainly can't force feed you, so politely declining when it's offered should do the trick. If they keep pressing, tell them to pick you up a salad. If they come back with a burger, tell them you can't eat it and offer it to someone else.

Be as polite as possible, but you may have to turn down people trying to sabotage you.
  • pearlsgonewild
    pearlsgonewild Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I work in the same kind of environment! I have to look at it like this: while everyone else is eating junk, I'm working on making better food choices and getting healthier. it's a fun little experiment in my mind to watch my body change while everyone else stays the same! I don't know about anyone else, but that helps my mentality. it also really helps when you find yummy alternatives for lunch and snacks, so when you have those "blech, I'm on a diet" days (we all do), it isn't so bad when you enjoy what you're eating.

let us know when you find something that works!!

I like this attitude! :happy:
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Willpower - keep saying no and don't feel bad about it!

Most fast food places do have salads now if you wanted to go with co-workers for lunch, that's always an option.

My office is filled with leftover halloween candy because no one wants it in their home! Including myself, I'll be bringing some in soon, it was purchased strictly as handout candy so I'm handing it out but not forcing it on anyone.
  • lorneq
    lorneq Posts: 11
    Options
    Seams the only way to celebrate anything is with food at the work place. I usually don't participate in the pot lucks, can't not eat too much. The candy sitting around is a bigger problem. I'm so glad Halloween is over. I can say, I've got a standing work station. I used to sit all day long. I'm the only one who is standing in my office. I've been standing at work for over a year now.
  • geraldm55
    Options
    I can relate to your struggle. keep in mind the weak like it when everyone around them are weak so they feel strong. offering you candy is the samething, they feel guilty about it, but if they can get you to eat it they will feel better, because than they can say everyone does it.

when people kept doing it to me, I took a different approach I started laughing and asking them if they realized what they were eating. I've had 2 things happen since I started educating people on what they are eating. #1 people quit offering it to me.........guess the truth hurts lol. #2 a large number of people have started eating differently and exercising. they often tell me about it as they look for encouragement.

Keep in mind your new good habits not only effect you but the ones you love and care about. you might be surprised how many people are looking to you to take the lead.

May God bless you on your journey.
  • SpringFever19
    SpringFever19 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I also understand as my desk is next to "the spot" for all food, candy, and junk, whether it's bagels (yum... yum.), candy from Halloween, donuts from an inservice, or gifts from patients/families. I started being vocal about how I wish we could put it somewhere else, and how I am trying to avoid it! It hasn't been moved, but more people are joining me in the struggle against the temptations, so we have each others support!
  • starbucksbuzz
    starbucksbuzz Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I second the "moderation" post, also bringing in your own food. I work in a Dr. office, and people bring in brownies, candy, snacks, etc. They do order out every day and its not too hard to find something on the healthier side if I don't want what I brought (which is often the case. I'm good when I pack my lunch but by the time its time to eat i want the junk. :P) They laugh at me with my calorie counting, but one of the girls recently started going to the gym some and trying to eat healthier, so I rib her about it when she eats fast food and candy, and she gives me the evil eye when she sees me sneaking from the candy jar. haha. It's all in good fun though.
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I actually broke down in tears over this the other night to my SO after coming home from a long, tiring work day and being so frustrated by everyone around me. My old boss used to eat spicy chicken wings with her fingers in the middle of our one-on-one meetings, my colleagues are all overweight and/or unhealthy and eat fast food ALL DAY LONG, some of them for every meal. They snack on candy, family sized bags of chips and buttery popcorn. They come to my desk and tell me to stop eating so healthy or they offer me fried chicken (they all know I'm a vegetarian and this happens at least once/week.)

Sigh. And it's a desk job, so I'm pretty sedentary all day and they frown upon you getting up from your desk too much.

It sucks. i know I'm making better decisions, but it still sucks to feel like you're just sitting in a room getting fat and sick all day.

Hmm...I don't think I'm helping, but I am equally frustrated. The only advice I can offer is to remember that you are not alone. You're body goes with you forever, not your coworkers.

xo

ETA: I'm not usually this emotional about my coworker's diets...haha. It's been a rough week.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,086 Member
    Options
    Lead by example. You never know who you may influence by doing the right thing.

The other thing is, how would you feel if they just excluded you from all office acrtivity that might involve food?

This kind of thing is what you will need to learn to deal with. It's really about telling yourself no. They won't hold you down and make you eat. Be polite, and decline cheerfully.