Pretty fit, but seem to be losing too quickly?

Options
I have an interesting delima, within the past two weeks I have lost 6 pounds, 3 per week. Which I know is not healthy. A little back story, I've been using MFP for ~3 months now and previously had been losing ~1 pound a week, exactly what I had my goals set to.

Currently I'm 6'1.5", weight 181 and eating roughly 2860cal's w/ ~800 of those cal's being earned workout cal's. Which I get from walking and either a 30 minute run or P90X lean program I rotate every day. Yesterday upon noting this quick downward trend, I weight everyday so hadn't been paying that much attention, I bumped my goal up to losing only .5 pounds a week. I'm curious if anyone else has seen large drop offs like this and if its anything to be concerned about?

Replies

• jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    I would talk to a doctor.
  • soupreem27
    soupreem27 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Actually 3lbs a week is healthy. You can lose up to 4lbs a week and be in the healthy range. Your body is just reacting differently to your workouts lately. Some weeks you may see an increase in weightloss and some weeks you may see a decrease. It could be that you need to eat more if that's not what you're looking to lose. I really wouldn't worry about it.
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    You could have a routine checkup and ease your worries. I find that most doctors are amazed at the bloodwork and heart rate and blood pressure on very healthy people. Go impress your doctor! :drinker: (lots of water)
  • TLCEsq
    TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    It is common for me to lose .5, 1, and then drop 4 in a week. Weight loss isn't linear, and I don't think 3 lbs a week for two weeks is anything to be concerned about right now - only if it continues. You clearly aren't undereating or overexercising based on the information you provided. Are you strength training as well - you mentioned P90X "lean" program and I think that includes weights, but not sure.

What is most important is how you are feeling health-wise, besides the weight. So, how do you feel? Are you anxious, jittery, hot, anything like that? One medical cause could be hyperthyroidism - I have no idea if you'd have it, but just curious. If you're feeling "weird" or anything out of the ordinary, you might want to see a doctor. But if you feel pretty good and nothing seems to be out of place, I'd just see how it goes for the next couple weeks.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Maybe you have a tapeworm. I have had single weeks where this happened due to high salt intake, reief of constipation, etc, but not over two weeks.
  • ashimon
    ashimon Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Overall I feel good. Occasionally I get hungry, but most of the time by the time I do get hungry its time for my next meal or snack. Currently I'm eating six snack/meals a day to help improve my metabolism. I have an appt. to get my blood work and what not done next Tuesday. I'll check it out then and see what they say. Only thing I've really changed is that I have been increasing my caffeine consumption recently, so I suppose it could be the coffee and diet soda, but I'm still getting in 10+ cups of water a day.
  • soupreem27
    Options
    Are you trying to bulk up?
  • ashimon
    ashimon Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Nope, trying to lose still, but not nearly as quickly as I have been. I want to weight around 175.
  • soupreem27
    Options
    I think it's just your body going through the changes that normally happen. But to put your mind at ease it's good that you scheduled an appt.
  • dadoffo
    dadoffo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I dropped 2 or 3 pounds one week but then I will gain maybe a pound back and my weight stabilized.