Chicken help!

Options
afv417
afv417 Posts: 466 Member
I have friends coming over tonight and I was initially making coconut chicken with a honey dressing for the salad. I forgot he was allergic to nuts and much to my dismay, he can't eat coconut!! :(

I am considering chicken with prosciutto, although I have not cooked with it prosciutto before. Anyone have a simple (I have about 45mins - 1hr to cook) and a low calorie recipe? Does it go well with olive oil and garlic?

I have read previous posts and mostly everyone is into salsa and I am not a fan; please no salsa recipes! :)

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!

Replies

• suecq09
    suecq09 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I love to make chicken with mushrooms and white wine.
  • wendorfa
    Options
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/05/lighter-chicken-saltimbocca.html

There are a ton of great recipes there, and you can search and see if there's something else if you don't like this recipe.
  • rvice2
    rvice2 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    My easy go-to chicken recipe is similar to parmesian chicken without the breading. I've sprinkled garlic on the chicken and covered it in homemade marina (of course you could simply use it from the jar) and baked it for 40 minutes on 350. Sprinkle a small amount of mozerella over the top when it is done and serve with whole wheat pasta. There is also a seasoning packet (McCormiks) called intalian chicken. It is made for the crockpot, but I have placed chicken in a skillet (no oil), mixed one can of tomato sauce with half of the packet of seasoning and poured over the chicken. Cover and cook on low (in between simmer and 4ish on the stove). Everyone I have served these to loved them. Hope you find something!
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I've made a delicious Rotel chicken before with sliced celery, white onion, Rotel tomatoes (tomates and green chiles) served over steamed brown rice.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I made this for the first time over the weekend and it was AWESOME (in fact, I had some leftovers for lunch today as well).

lightly dredge thin chicken breasts through multi purpose flour, add some salt and pepper to chicken. cook in a pan with some EVOO and butter. when the chicken is cooked, put it in a warm over (roughly 200 degrees) to stay warm while cooking the rest of it.

in the same pan, add a little more EVOO and butter....throw in some fresh minced garlic and a package of sliced mushrooms. cook for about 5 minutes or until mushrooms brown a bit. add one third cup white wine and one third cup fat free chicken broth. add fresh parsley. reduce heat and let the mixture reduce a bit.

this recipe is for 4 servings. I doubled it as we had guests over the weekend and I wanted leftovers.

pour mixture over chicken and serve.

NOTE: I also added diced tomatoes to the sauce at the time I added the wine and chicken broth. its not necessary and since you said you don't like salsa, I didn't mention it. anyway, its not salsa and you could choose to use the tomatoes or not use them. the recipe I was using to make this did not include tomatoes. That was my add. also, I think you could use a little more wine.

enjoy.

additional chicken ideas are in #3, 4 and 5 of this blog of mine: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/hmalin1/view/my-favorite-foods-to-cook-161286
  • kflo76
    Options
    My family loves my garlic lime chicken!

Just boil chicken breast, let it cool, shred it, juice a couple of limes and add it to the chicken with some sauteed garlic and evoo salt and pepper to taste and serve it with anything really. I make tacos or taco salad with it and usually make black beans and brown rice and add light sour cream plus tons of veggies.
  • resolu
    resolu Posts: 12
    Options
    EVERYTHING goes well with garlic and olive oil!
  • ccmurphy
    Options
    I'm not a fan of salsa either. This is a mediterranean chicken dish (using boneless breasts) I've made for years - it looks and tastes great and quick to make.
    Chicken breasts/Olive Oil/Garlic/lemon Juice - put all this in a bag and pound the chicken so it's evenly flattened (leave for 10mins or so to marinate) then cook on med/high heat frypan.
    Thick Greek Yoghurt/Mint/finely chopped chilli/finely chopped spring onion - Mix all this together, in fridge until serving.
    Prepare some couscous using chicken stock (I do this while the chicken is cooking).

On your serving dish spread the cooked couscous across the bottom. Sprinkle with a little Paprika. Optional-sprinkle over some chickpeas (I use from a can-drained). Next spread over the sliced chicken plus any juices. Dot some of the yoghurt over the top with the rest on the side.
  • afv417
    Options
    yumm!
  • afv417
    Options
    thanks everyone!
  • Jess22542
    Options
    This is really yummy and only 500 calories/serving!

Ingredients

1 teaspoon dried Cajun seasoning
    4 ounces chicken breast
    2 teaspoons olive oil
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 green bell pepper, diced
    2 tablespoons tomato paste
    3/4 cup precooked brown rice
    few dashes Tabasco sauce, to taste

Directions
    Sprinkle Cajun seasoning on chicken and bake or grill.
    Add oil to skillet; saute garlic, onion, bell pepper, tomato paste and Tabasco for 2 to 3 minutes.
    Add pre-cooked rice and saute for 5 more minutes. Serve chicken on rice.