body fat % goal

Options
I was curious to see if people had body fat % goals here or just weight loss goals. I want to weight less- but I mostly want to lose body fat. If I add muscle that's just a bonus. I am at 29% body fat and I am not sure what my goal body fat should be. I'm 5'5" and pear shaped and about a size 10...depending on brand. Anyone else have a goal body fat %?

Replies

• Jbloom82
    Jbloom82 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    im currently at 17% shooting for 10% After I reached my weight goal, I needed something else to shoot for.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    My body fat has gone from 47% to 27%, and I'm hoping to get it down to 18% eventually.
  • shamr0ck
    shamr0ck Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I tossed out weight goals, and even my pant-size goal. I'm shooting for 20% bodyfat.
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Women

Age Underfat Healthy Range Overweight Obese
    20-40 yrs Under 21% 21-33% 33-39% Over 39%
    41-60 yrs Under 23% 23-35% 35-40% Over 40%
    61-79 yrs Under 24% 24-36% 36-42% Over 42%

I just found this on the internet - the chart lines didn't copy and paste too well
  • lhanks89
    lhanks89 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm currently at 20.2% body fat and my goal is to be under 20%.

I figure once I reach 20%, I'll want to be under 18%. Depending on what I look like when I reach 18%, I might want to go lower.

I think your body fat % goal should be based off of how you feel.
  • cbear017
    cbear017 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Women

Age Underfat Healthy Range Overweight Obese
    20-40 yrs Under 21% 21-33% 33-39% Over 39%
    41-60 yrs Under 23% 23-35% 35-40% Over 40%
    61-79 yrs Under 24% 24-36% 36-42% Over 42%

I just found this on the internet - the chart lines didn't copy and paste too well

Those figures are for the general public, but do not include athletes or generally fit people, but they do provide a good guideline.

My aim is for 19% BF. Not sure when I'll get there. My last measurement taken on my BF scale at home says 25%.
  • DKing33
    DKing33 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I am going for 16-20%. Currently at 29% and 5"2'. There are lots of calculators out there if you search that will help you find yours.
  • afigueroa_pr
    Options
    I am currently at 16%. I started at 28% and I would like to be 10%.
    We'll see!
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    How do you all track your BF%? I am basing mine on looks..... I read that abs on men start to apear between 10 and 15% depending on how fat is carried on an individual..... Im guessing that I am around 18-20% Id like to be in the 12-15% range.......

the lower my body weight goes, the less I think I should focus on weight goals... as I am 6 ft and now 170 lbs.
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I had the bod pod testing a couple of months ago...I am 25%. Aiming for 20% and toning.

I am 5'3" & 125 lbs.
  • sabcooke
    sabcooke Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    currently at 29% want to get to 20% I am 5ft 7
  • MusicKeepsMeSane
    Options
    I want to get my actual weight down to 130 first and if I have a healthy body fat % around 25% or so then I'd be satisfied. If my body fat wasn't on the lower side of healthy then I'd continue losing weight to lower the body fat.
  • katyk00
    katyk00 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I had a Body Pod test done 2 weeks ago and I'm at 21.4% with a goal of 20%. I'm a pear shape too so the pants sizes stoppped decreasing so BF goals seemed like the way to go
  • MsCNicholleD
    Options
    My goal is 11%. Right now I'm 19%, which is in the athlete range for someone my height (I'm 6'0" tall), but I want to get down to essential body fat in order to prime myself to go into bulk phase so I can compete next season.
  • MusicKeepsMeSane
    Options
    How do you all track your BF%? I am basing mine on looks..... I read that abs on men start to apear between 10 and 15% depending on how fat is carried on an individual..... Im guessing that I am around 18-20% Id like to be in the 12-15% range.......

the lower my body weight goes, the less I think I should focus on weight goals... as I am 6 ft and now 170 lbs.

I've read that for men up to 40 yrs old a healthy body fat is anywhere from 8 - 20% and for men up to 60 yrs it's 11 - 22% so 12 - 15% seems like a good goal!
  • havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Depending on what method I use, I'm between 33 and 28%, I'd like to have my mid-range from various methods be around 22%.
  • TXHunny84
    TXHunny84 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thank you for all the feed back! I think I'm going to aim for 20-22% and then depending on how I feel and what that brings my weight and pant size down to I'll go from there. Thanks again friends!! :)
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I have goals for just about everything. On the bodyfat side, I'm shooting for 8%. Right now the last measurement based estimate I have was 13%.
  • digitaldigital
    digitaldigital Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I want to reach 14% by my 21st birthday. Then I want 7% by summer.