After 5 babies.....

Options
I just have a few questions regarding other's experiences & helpful advice maybe you can offer....I've had 5 children, and it seems after the last 2, for sure, that my body is a little off-kilter. TOM is off, sometimes shows up randomly, I've had my thyroid checked and it's been on the low side of normal for a few years, but not enough that I need prescrip. meds. I've taken the Thyroid Energy from NOW and that went ok, but I started getting headaches from it after a while.

I go to karate twice a week and I LOVE it, so I'm going to just keep on with that, and just before I go I take 'Complex 5' from GNC as an energy boost. It also has tyrosine in it (as did the Thyroid Energy) which really seems to give me a better workout but I'm not sure if that's ok to just keep taking.....thoughts anyone??

My diet used to be horrendous, and I'm slowly improving that, and thankfully seeing some results, which keeps me motivated, but I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for perhaps a natural product that would help the thyroid, balance hormones etc??

I also find it challenging to find decent recipes that will feed our family of 7 and not cost a crazy amount - we live in Canada, and it's quite expensive for groceries these days :( any websites you can recommend??

Thanks so much!!

Replies

• aliburstall
    Options
    i have 6 children. so I feel ya! Takimoto's disease runs in my family though. For thyroid support, I use Potassium iodide, readily available at most health food or whole foods grocers. Just three drops a day in a glass of water or juice are enough, so it doesn't even raise your potassium count, but do get enough potassium and sodium in your diet to reduce thyroid cysts.
  • horsepullerlovesme
    horsepullerlovesme Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    try skinnytaste.com i get what u mean i have 8 kids ...........add me if u need help with anything....love to help
  • KarenPostmus
    Options
    i have 6 children. so I feel ya! Takimoto's disease runs in my family though. For thyroid support, I use Potassium iodide, readily available at most health food or whole foods grocers. Just three drops a day in a glass of water or juice are enough, so it doesn't even raise your potassium count, but do get enough potassium and sodium in your diet to reduce thyroid cysts.

• snuffmomma77
    snuffmomma77 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have 7 children so Im w everyone else here, I dont have thyroid issues but will be glad to encourage and give you support and motivation.. We all need it..espically us w the loose flab and skin and left overs from all them children...
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Go to a natural foods store or a homeopathic/naturopathic store for recommendations on on something to help with your thyroid.

As far as food goes, I'm in the same boat. I'm trying to feed a family of four (with me being pregnant) on about $120 a week. It's not so bad for us because we get a lot of fruits and vegetables from Trader Joe's, which has great prices on organic produce. But, I can imagine it would be more difficult in Canada. There are great chain stores and online ordering stuff available for the US, but sadly, not for Canada.
  • kfitz10103
    Options
    Here are 3 recipes I use at $1.50 per person. The first and last ones freeze well so I make 2 at a time.

Vegetable Meatloaf with Balsamic Glaze
    Recipe courtesy Bobby Flay for Food Network Magazine
    Ingredients
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1 small zucchini, finely diced
    1 red bell pepper, finely diced
    1 yellow bell pepper, finely diced
    5 cloves garlic, smashed to a paste with coarse salt
    1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
    1 large egg, lightly beaten
    1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme
    1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
    1 1/2 pounds ground turkey (90 percent lean)
    1 cup panko (coarse Japanese breadcrumbs)
    1/2 cup freshly grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
    3/4 cup ketchup
    1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
    Directions
    Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Heat the oil in a large saute pan over high heat. Add the zucchini, bell
    peppers, garlic paste and 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes. Season with salt and pepper and cook until the
    vegetables are almost soft, about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
    Whisk the egg and fresh herbs in a large bowl. Add the turkey, panko, grated cheese, 1/2 cup ketchup, 2
    tablespoons balsamic vinegar and the cooled vegetables; mix until just combined.
    Gently press the mixture into a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan. Whisk the remaining 1/4 cup ketchup, 1/4 cup
    balsamic vinegar and 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes in a small bowl; brush the mixture over the entire
    loaf. Bake for 1 to 1 1/4 hours. Let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
    Per serving: Calories 270; Fat 14 g (Sat. 4.2 g; Mono. 6.3 g; Poly. 3.1 g); Cholesterol 104 mg; Sodium
    451 mg; Carbohydrate 16 g; Fiber 1 g; Protein 20 g

Pepper-Jack Chicken With Succotash
    Recipe courtesy of Food Network Magazine
    Ingredients
    4 ounces pepper-jack cheese, shredded
    2 cups baby arugula, roughly chopped
    2 large skinless, boneless chicken breasts (12 ounces each)
    1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for brushing
    Kosher salt
    1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons Cajun spice blend
    Vegetable oil, for the grill
    1 cup frozen lima beans, thawed
    1 medium yellow summer squash, diced
    2 cups corn kernels
    1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
    Juice of 1 lime
    Directions
    Combine the cheese and arugula in a bowl. Cut a deep 2-inch-wide pocket in the thickest part of each
    chicken breast with a paring knife. Stuff with the arugula mixture. Brush with olive oil and season with salt
    and the Cajun spice blend.
    Preheat a grill to high and brush the grates with vegetable oil. Grill the chicken until blackened and a
    thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 155 degrees F, 8 to 10 minutes per side. Transfer to
    a cutting board.
    Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet over high heat. Add the lima beans, squash and corn,
    season with salt and cook until the squash is just tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook 2
    more minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the lime juice. Slice the chicken and serve with the
    succotash.
    Per serving: Calories 462; Fat 16 g (Saturated 6 g); Cholesterol 120 mg; Sodium 1,018 mg; Carbohydrate
    30 g; Fiber 7 g; Protein 48 g

Turkey and Spinach Lasagna
    Directions
    1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
    1/4 cup dry red wine
    3T dried Basil
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    1 (16-ounce) container 1 percent low-fat cottage cheese
    1 (15-ounce) container part-skim ricotta cheese
    1 (10-ounce) box frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
    1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
    8 ounces Jimmy Dean pre-cooked turkey sausage
    9 sheets no-boil lasagna noodles, 5 1/2-ounces, (recommended: Barilla)
    1 1/2 cups part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese, 6 ounces
    1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a small pot bring the tomatoes, wine, 1 ½ T Basil Leaves, garlic, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper, to taste, to a simmer; cook until slightly thickened, 10 minutes; set aside.
    2. Meanwhile, mix the cottage cheese in the bowl of a food processor until smooth. add the ricotta, spinach, 1 ½ T basil, nutmeg, and salt and pepper and pulse until just combined; set aside.
    3. Assemble the lasagna: Mist a 9-inch by 13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Spread 1/2 cup tomato sauce on the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Top with 3 noodles, half the ricotta mixture, half the sausage and 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers with sauce, noodles, remaining ricotta and sausage and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese. Top with remaining noodles and sauce. Cover with aluminum foil and bake until the noodles are tender and the sauce is bubbling around the edges of the pan, 1 hour.
    5. Uncover, sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese and continue to bake until melted, 10 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes. Serve.
    Nutritional analysis per serving
    Calories 350; Total Fat 12.5g (Sat Fat 5g, Mono Fat 3g, Poly Fat 1.5g); Protein 29g; Carb 30g; Fiber 4g; Cholesterol 36mg; Sodium 848mg