Looking for suggestions

Options
I've lost a lot of fat, and I have a lot of fat to go. But my muscle has become more apparent, at least to me, and I'm not happy with it. I would like to improve muscle tone while still losing fat.

I never seem to get enough protein. I started out doing resistance and strength training, but have since, bailed on those efforts. Are there any tips to improve my muscle while I'm still working on my fat?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Resistance/strength training. You can find free programs on bodybuilding.com
  • sk2775
    sk2775 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    You should continue with strength training....It takes longer to see results, but I am finally starting to see some toning in my arm.
  • DKBelle
    DKBelle Posts: 585
    Options
    I believe it's pretty much lifting the heaviest weights and do cardio as well in the mean time , but you need protein for sure to grow muscle so I would recommend you to drink some kind of shake at least if you don't really like meat.
  • daves160
    daves160 Posts: 600
    Options
    Try protein suppliments. you want to eat as much protien as possible (1-1.5 grams per lb of lean body weight) . It is difficult to build muscle while losing weight, but you can at least stave off losing it while dieting.
  • lcnicholas
    lcnicholas Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Intervals combined with weight training. Squats and lunges whie doing a bicep curl or shoulder press. Get the most bang for your buck by doing upper and lower body at the same time. Interval that with cardio for max fat burn.
  • mtienken
    Options
    I've lost a lot of fat, and I have a lot of fat to go. But my muscle has become more apparent, at least to me, and I'm not happy with it. I would like to improve muscle tone while still losing fat.

I never seem to get enough protein. I started out doing resistance and strength training, but have since, bailed on those efforts. Are there any tips to improve my muscle while I'm still working on my fat?

You need to do strength/resistance training to improve muscle tone. A protein powder also helps a lot to build muscle. I use AMP Wheybolic Extreme 60. It's kind of spendy but very effective. Since I started using it I am noticing definite improvement in my muscle tone and definition.
  • mishmash73
    mishmash73 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    i've been working with a personal trainer & he's taught me to do my workouts with strength training & cardio.

alternate a cardio move to get your heart rate up there... then do strength training... then cardio, etc. i've burned up to 500+ calories in less than an hour in his classes.
  • suziwilson
    Options
    Hi swhitney2,
    What I have found is that you won't really see too much in muscle tone until you lose the fat. That doesn't mean it isn't there, it just won't be visible. You should continue to work on strength and muscle tone because it will boost your metabolism and make losing weight that much easier.

Keep up the work and you will see the results, it just takes time.

Protein was and still is a struggle for me. It is difficult to get the amount of protein and still stay within the recommended calories. The good thing about protein though is that it takes longer to break down into sugar so it keeps you full longer. So, try to make an effort to include some form of protein in every meal. Remember that vegetables also have protein in them and boosting the amount of vegetables you eat is always a good thing.
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options

You need to do strength/resistance training to improve muscle tone. A protein powder also helps a lot to build muscle. I use AMP Wheybolic Extreme 60. It's kind of spendy but very effective. Since I started using it I am noticing definite improvement in my muscle tone and definition.

I use the same powder - It's totally worth it. Besides, you can't beat 60 grams of protein for only 7 grams of carbs and 280 calories! And it tastes good too.