Attention: owners of dogs with flatulance

Options
Frost
Frost Posts: 312 Member
Benny, my Boston, just gets stinkier with age. Lately he just always smells like cabbage. After a couple nights of all out smell assault my partner suggested Beano. I looked it up and it was said to be safe for dogs on, I think it was, Woofster. We thought the liquid would be the easiest so off to Wally World we went. Something gave me pause berfore I administered the dose. I read the label out of curiosity. The liquid has Xylitol! Xylitol is highly dangerous to dogs and deadly in small doses.

Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone else was desperate enough to try Beano.

Replies

• Frost
    Options
    Benny, my Boston, just gets stinkier with age. Lately he just always smells like cabbage. After a couple nights of all out smell assault my partner suggested Beano. I looked it up and it was said to be safe for dogs on, I think it was, Woofster. We thought the liquid would be the easiest so off to Wally World we went. Something gave me pause berfore I administered the dose. I read the label out of curiosity. The liquid has Xylitol! Xylitol is highly dangerous to dogs and deadly in small doses.

Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone else was desperate enough to try Beano.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    my little guy lets one rip every now and then

he deals with mine
    so I deal with his:laugh:
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    My dog is the worst:laugh: If it's not coming out of one end it's the other. I have never seen a dog burb as much as this one. And of course the other end works too:laugh: I love it when she looks around like what was that?
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    My dog is the worst:laugh: If it's not coming out of one end it's the other. I have never seen a dog burb as much as this one. And of course the other end works too:laugh: I love it when she looks around like what was that?

LOL:laugh:
  • Frost
    Options
    my little guy lets one rip every now and then

he deals with mine
    so I deal with his:laugh:

Thast was our old approach but an old Boston has a toxicity level that is off the charts! I suggested gas masks but Beano was cheaper. They don't call them Bean dogs for nothing!
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    We have 5 cats, pretty much against my will but I like to pick my battles, and our oldest cat is the stinkiest thing ever. And it's almost like she does it intentionally, like she holds it til she's nearby then lets it go.... eeewwwwwww
  • lenmana
    lenmana Posts: 171
    Options
    I'm gagging right now!!! My dogs are like me...we fluff flowers :) LOL!!! Good thing you read the label! Nice save.
  • charliesgold
    charliesgold Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Pepto is fine to use for dogs (dosage should be recommended by your vet) however, it is more recommended for upset tummies rather than gas. If your dog has a chronic gas problem you may want to consider switching to a different food, while dogs do get gas, chronic gas is a gastric problem that is more than likely due to the food he is on. We buy Fromm kibble and have no issues with gas although if my boy gets his hands on a rawhide at my mom's house it's better to evacuate the house asap.
  • mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    My big 90 lb male greyhound is dangerous when he expells some air :laugh: :laugh: at night in the bedroom with the door closed!!!??? :laugh:
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't give my boy Beano- but his gas does make my eyes water at times not always but I can def remember a time when he was in the hallway and me and my husband were in the other room hiding under a blanket trying to avoid the smell. lmao--
    He doesn't even look around like who did that he doesn't care he just rips it like its nothing lmao-
  • Frost
    Options
    Pepto is fine to use for dogs (dosage should be recommended by your vet) however, it is more recommended for upset tummies rather than gas. If your dog has a chronic gas problem you may want to consider switching to a different food, while dogs do get gas, chronic gas is a gastric problem that is more than likely due to the food he is on. We buy Fromm kibble and have no issues with gas although if my boy gets his hands on a rawhide at my mom's house it's better to evacuate the house asap.

When it comes to Bostons they just have gas. It's part of the breed. Snorty, stinky, stubborn and cute! The food does make some difference. He's on the best one we could find for him that he isn't allergic too. :smile:
  • charliesgold
    Options

When it comes to Bostons they just have gas. It's part of the breed. Snorty, stinky, stubborn and cute! The food does make some difference. He's on the best one we could find for him that he isn't allergic too. :smile:

Ahh I'm not familiar with the Boston terrier in particular, you learn something everyday!
  • Frost
    Options
    Your dog is super cute!
  • charliesgold
    Options
    Thanks :) He's my old man now, well middle aged man with a big white beard :D
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    We were just watching Dogs 101 on animal planet and they did a bit on Bostons and they said that they were just about the stinkiest dogs out there because they take a lot of air in when they eat there food. :laugh:

Other than that everything they said about them was great. Easy to train, smart, pretty healthy breed, etc. Definitely a candidate for doggie number 2!!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Your dog is super cute!

He's a sweet boy too, except when he's trying to lick the deodorant off from under your armpits!
  • psilva78227
    psilva78227 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't give my boy Beano- but his gas does make my eyes water at times not always but I can def remember a time when he was in the hallway and me and my husband were in the other room hiding under a blanket trying to avoid the smell. lmao--
    He doesn't even look around like who did that he doesn't care he just rips it like its nothing lmao-

My mini schnauzer is pretty bad at times. But you always know when you need to run... she always sniffs her backside when she lets it go. UGH! :sick:
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    My boxer is the WORST! In fact, boxers are known for bad flatulence. I've had to teach her to leave the room when she does it (which is far too often). I actually taught her shame :laugh: When she would do it (audibly) I'd say "Lady" in a disappointed tone :grumble: . So now after she does, she'll drop her head & slowly walk out of the room.

I know it may sound mean, but I'm telling you, what she's doing to us is much, much meaner. :sick:
  • FitnessGeek
    FitnessGeek Posts: 487
    Options
    My boxer is the WORST! In fact, boxers are known for bad flatulence. I've had to teach her to leave the room when she does it (which is far too often). I actually taught her shame laugh When she would do it (audibly) I'd say "Lady" in a disappointed tone grumble . So now after she does, she'll drop her head & slowly walk out of the room.

I know it may sound mean, but I'm telling you, what she's doing to us is much, much meaner. sick

Hehe I have a boxer too. The night we brought her home from the breeder (she was 12 weeks old), she farted the whole car ride home. We thought it was funny then...lol but it never stopped. She has the loudest farts I've ever heard from a creature that doesn't really have butt cheeks.

It became the main reason she's not allowed to sleep in our bed anymore. I was tired of being woken up in the middle of the night to the worst dog farts!
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I have 2 dogs, Lhasa Apso and Shih tzu. Fortunately neither of them have "the problem." I do recall one time, however, when my late (first) Shih tzu ate some garlic mashed potatoes, and that was NOT a good night for company, if ya know what I mean.