home treadmill

Options
I want a good home treadmill. Last winter (and most winters) I lose a few months of outdoor training because of the cra%%y weather and dumps of snow we get and I know, if I had a treadmill on hand, I would use it almost every day.

I don't need a light-weight one, I don't need one that can't take a pounding; I don't need one that "conveniently" folds up as I have a lot of space in an unused garage building where it can stay set-up.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Make, model - ??

A guy at work said "Forget the treadmill - you'll burn far more using a rowing machine". Might he be right? But I don't ENJOY rowing machines and I do enjoy running . . .

Replies

• SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Wish I could help! Don't know what to tell you, hopefully someone else can. I would like to know as well. Good luck!

4581915.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • LKBuckingham
    Options
    I've always wanted a Bowflex Treadclimber... you could check that out.
  • margojr4
    margojr4 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    We bought our treadmill from Fitnessblowout.com Its a basic FreeMotion machine that had good reviews. We like it!

Good luck! There's many options out there.
  • rc630
    rc630 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    My parents have a ProForm one that we bought years ago and it still works just great. I think it does fold in half but I wouldn't call it light weight. We've had it about 10 years and it seems to be doing fine; never had to get any repairs on it and it doesn't look or feel outdated yet. Knowing my parents, it was probably not a very expensive one either, though I don't know what the model was or if it's still made. I would look into ProForm though.

EDIT:
    Also, try craigslist for a slightly used one. SO many people buy them and use them only a handful of times so you could get a really good deal on a really high quality treadmill
  • daydream58
    daydream58 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I love my Nordic Track. It's got a really wide track and absorbs shock well and keeps track of me by name. I use commercial treadmills and I can not tell a difference to be honest.
  • SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I love my Nordic Track. It's got a really wide track and absorbs shock well and keeps track of me by name. I use commercial treadmills and I can not tell a difference to be honest.

Thank you! :bigsmile:
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Check out this thread:

treadmill-shopping?hl=treadmill%23posts-5230015">http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/381305-treadmill-shopping?hl=treadmill#posts-5230015

As well as this website:

http://www.treadmilltips.com/best-buy-treadmills.html

It all depends on how much you want to spend. I spent a lot 9 years ago (over $3500) but it was worth it as it still works and we use it all the time!
  • Leviram
    Options
    I like the Nautilus treadmill...
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I won't site a specific model but there are some features you may want to look for. Definitely get one with a power incline. The cheap ones have feet that can be adjusted to set the incline but once you're off and going, you're stuck with that incline setting unless you stop, get off and adjust the setting. Power incline will let you adjust the incline while you workout. Look for one that has preset programs that you can use plus a manual setting where you can adjust the speed and incline yourself.

If you decide to buy a used one, you'll get more for your money but like buying anything used you should be careful. Check the belt over thoroughly. Make sure there are no rips, cuts or obvious wear spots. If the edges are fraying or otherwise damaged, it could be a sign that it hasn't been properly adjusted. Make sure you run on it before you buy it. Take it up to the fastest speed you can handle to make sure that the motor is good and solid. You shouldn't hear any rattling or strange noises from the motor compartment.