Do you ride the treadmill?

Options
icandoit
icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
I am talking to a lady who is helping me train for a marathon. She is 40 something and is a Black belt in American Freestyle Karate with my son, she is also a Jiu-jitsu student and a muay thai student and teacher. She can kick butt. She trains 6 hours a day, and she can kick men that are way bigger than her butts. She takes a beating and keeps on trucking. She also trains people for marathons and just teaches fitness. She asked me if I ride the treadmill. Come to find out, I don't.
Do you let the treadmill pull your leg back?? Does that make since.
You need to walk ahead of the belt. Don't let the belt walk you. I walk with my stomach on the front bar. I never fall back.
Give it a try and see if you notice a difference.

Replies

• icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    I am talking to a lady who is helping me train for a marathon. She is 40 something and is a Black belt in American Freestyle Karate with my son, she is also a Jiu-jitsu student and a muay thai student and teacher. She can kick butt. She trains 6 hours a day, and she can kick men that are way bigger than her butts. She takes a beating and keeps on trucking. She also trains people for marathons and just teaches fitness. She asked me if I ride the treadmill. Come to find out, I don't.
    Do you let the treadmill pull your leg back?? Does that make since.
    You need to walk ahead of the belt. Don't let the belt walk you. I walk with my stomach on the front bar. I never fall back.
    Give it a try and see if you notice a difference.
  • prettyinpink
    prettyinpink Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't know! I only used a treadmill once and was on it for 45 minutes jogging and got bored!! That was 4 years ago! :oP
  • MiaEllie
    MiaEllie Posts: 84
    Options
    I totally know what you are talking about. I wear my hear rate monitor every time I work out. I soon noticed that my heart rate drops by at least 5 bpm if I let the tread mill walk me. As soon as I speed up to be a step ahead of the belt, I hold a higher heart rate.

I also noticed that I burn more calories walking, jogging, and running on regular pavement or ground than on the tread mill. I chalked this up to the same idea that the tread mill is doing a little of my work for me no matter what. It is still pulling my legs/weight for me at least a little bit.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this!:tongue:
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    The one I use is a cheapy. If I get behind the belt, when my foot hits, the belt slips forward. It feels like when you lose your footing on ice. My heart skips a beat and I reach for the handles so I don't face-plant! I think I need to get on a better treadmill!
  • kelpie06
    kelpie06 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if I ride it. I am training too, but just for a half marathon in April and I've been running a lot more on the treadmill and outside.
    What I do notice is that my heartrate is way higher when I run on the treadmill. I was thinking that the heat in the gym had something to do with it, but maybe the treadmill keeps me "honest" and when I am running on the street I tend to slow down a bit.
    Next time I'm on it I'll pay more attention...
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Heh! Not me. As long as my knees can take it, I keep my heartrate averaged at about 79 to 83% Which means I'm definately not coasting, and I mix up intensity.
    "Why ?" you may ask. Because that % is high enough to force your body to become more efficient at the workout, and mixing it up keeps the muscles from becomming "trained" to the exercise. It's why runners like running outside, different factors can change how much energy you use, I.E. wind, hills, terrain...etc. Switching up speeds and incline simulates this.
    My normal routine is this:

6 minutes at 7 mph
    4 minutes at 7.5 mph
    4 minutes at 8 mph
    4 minutes at 7.5 mph
    6 minutes at 8 mph

randomly switching the incline between 0 and 3%
    Once in a while (if I'm feeling good) I'll jack it up to 11 mph for 1 to 2 minutes.

I know I got off track here, but I like sharing a routine that works. (Hey, it's a major reason why I lost 40 lbs in 3 months and have kept it off for 3 more)
  • Ileanak
    Ileanak Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    You are an animal Banks!

I do the treadmill too, but i keep the speed up (even when walking, I am never under 4.2).

2 minutes 4.2
    12 minutes at 5.1 (barely over a mile)
    4 minutes at 4.5
    6 minutes at 5.6
    2 minutes at 5
    4 minutes at 4.5
    6 minutes at 5.1
    2 minutes at 5.6
    2 mintutes at 4.2

then I go to the recumbent bike or elliptical for another 10-15 minutes
  • tiangelah
    tiangelah Posts: 144
    Options
    Heh! Not me. As long as my knees can take it, I keep my heartrate averaged at about 79 to 83% Which means I'm definately not coasting, and I mix up intensity.
    "Why ?" you may ask. Because that % is high enough to force your body to become more efficient at the workout, and mixing it up keeps the muscles from becomming "trained" to the exercise. It's why runners like running outside, different factors can change how much energy you use, I.E. wind, hills, terrain...etc. Switching up speeds and incline simulates this.
    My normal routine is this:

6 minutes at 7 mph
    4 minutes at 7.5 mph
    4 minutes at 8 mph
    4 minutes at 7.5 mph
    6 minutes at 8 mph

randomly switching the incline between 0 and 3%
    Once in a while (if I'm feeling good) I'll jack it up to 11 mph for 1 to 2 minutes.

I know I got off track here, but I like sharing a routine that works. (Hey, it's a major reason why I lost 40 lbs in 3 months and have kept it off for 3 more)

Question, how long did it take for you to get to run at the 7 to 8 mph mark. I just ran today between 6.0 -7.0 today. 8.0 for 1 minute. It seems like as soon as I get to 7.0 i feel like i am going to pass out so I always have to slow down. I actual ran for 20 minutes today I was proud of my self. I normally can only run for 15 minutes.
  • banks1850
    Options
    It took me about a month or so. But realize that I was a runner right up through college and was only off running for about 10 years or so. Plus I have a runners body (long lean legs) and was taught in highschool how to run with correct form (it's harder then you think), so it's easier for me then most.

The way I was taught was, once you have correct form, you should increase your speed by 1/2 a mile every 2 weeks, and increase your distance by about 1/2 a mile every month or so (unless you're training aggressively for a race or something). That doesn't mean you need to keep your speed up the whole time, I usually increase for as long as I feel I can, then I back off a bit to rest myself.

The thing that many new runners don't realize (at least from every runner I know), is that running very rarely feels "good" if your doing it right. Growing up playing football and rugby, I got used to being "not quite in good enough shape" so that uncomfortableness never scared me. I see a lot of people that don't realize how much they can push their body, so they never see their heartrate touch 90% (you shouldn't ever keep your heartrate there unless you are a highly trained athelete), but going to the point of physical fatigue is great sometimes, it makes your body realize it can work harder. I know I do that all the time. I run to the speed I know I can, then I push it up beyond, holding back the pain and discomfort, and the next time, I not only know what to expect, I know that I will survive it, and that it isn't as bad as I first thought it might be. this is only opinion, and I don't have any clue what kind of shape you are in, or athelete you are, so this isn't pointed at anyone in particular, it's just an observation I have made over the years.

To continue this ramble, :tongue: I had one more thought. I look around the gym alot, and see all these people working out, then I look at myself, and me and maybe 2 others are sweating like pigs, the rest have a light mist, and have been on the eliptical or tread mill for like 40 minutes. On these types of aerobics, if you really want to increase your capacity, you need to push it a little, if you aren't dripping sweat after a workout, you probably could have worked harder (sweat gland issues not widthstanding). I know I have to put my shirt in a plastic bag after my workouts because it is one complete mess of sweat (gross, I know, but true). This, of course, doesn't apply to people under medical supervision, or some other kind of restriction. It's not an endictment, it's just an observation. I have no problem with people not pushing themself. It's just something I wonder about when I'm spacing out on the tread mill.
  • dawn66
    dawn66 Posts: 166
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: I know I don't let the treadmill do all the work, as somethimes I end up running up on to the plastic piece in the front;. I then know I have to increase the speed of the belt..
    Have a great day.
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Banks, you're great. You are one of those people who says what everyone else is thinking!

I too ran cc & track in college before gaining weight/pregnancy/life. When I went to the OB last year, he actually told me I shouldn't run because of my weight. O.k. so I was at my highest weight, but sill under 200. Knowing that running doesn't feel good a majority of the time, I chose to ignore him. Here I am 25 lbs ligher than a year ago.

The only time a run should feel good is when it's a recovery run or LSD (long slow distance for any non-runners reading this; not drugs!) If you don't want to see my glowing red face and sweat dripping down my legs, look the other way!
  • banks1850
    Options
    Banks, you're great. You are one of those people who says what everyone else is thinking!

I too ran cc & track in college before gaining weight/pregnancy/life. When I went to the OB last year, he actually told me I shouldn't run because of my weight. O.k. so I was at my highest weight, but sill under 200. Knowing that running doesn't feel good a majority of the time, I chose to ignore him. Here I am 25 lbs ligher than a year ago.

The only time a run should feel good is when it's a recovery run or LSD (long slow distance for any non-runners reading this; not drugs!) If you don't want to see my glowing red face and sweat dripping down my legs, look the other way!

:blushing: thanks.

Unfortunately my "openness" sometimes gets me in trouble. It's tough to get the taste of shoe leather out of your mouth sometime (but at least it's low in calories and high in protien. HA!)