Calorie Intake

Options
I have a hard time reaching my calorie intake amount unless I eat junk food. Is it ok to be under the recommended calories and wll this slow down my weightloss?

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    It may not slow down your weightloss. If you are creating a deficit, you will lose weight. The concern with eating too few calories is that you a) are not getting proper nutrition, b) may lose muscle and c) eating too few calories can slow down your metabolism. That doesn't mean it will stop or you will stop losing weight, but it is not good all the same.

There are tons of healthy things you can eat that are high calorie. Nuts and seeds are one way to up calories while still getting lots of nutrients. Avocados are another.
  • hecanfly
    Options
    Is it saying "you are eating too few calories" or are you just under your goal it gives you without that warning?
  • Karen_145
    Options
    It could slow you down, but everyone's body is different. How close are you to your calorie allotment? If you're pretty close I wouldn't worry too much. If you're way off (~200 calories or more) you might want to try getting an additional snack or something. Healthy snacks will help keep your blood sugar stable as well. Some suggestions:

- string cheese
    - handful of nuts or trail mix
    - Nutrigrain bar, fiber bar, etc.

Keep in mind that you can eat anything as long as you control portions and eat in moderation.
  • Chippetts
    Chippetts Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I never even thought of eating nuts or string cheese (although I am not fan of the string cheese :wink: ) My calorie intake should be 1390cal per day and I am consuming sometimes anywhere from 400-200 less per day.This is with out excercise. For example I walk about 5miles in a hour most days and it estimated that it is approximate a little over 900calorie burn. So then my calories climb back up. Am I supose to eat even more then? I walked today and logged it with I ate and I still have to eat another 1300+ calories and it is almost 7pm here. I know I don't eat enough but I'm not usually hungry either. I'm averaging about 1-2lbs per week. I am pleased with that. Just confused on the the calorie intake stuff ...lol....Thank you again for all the help.