splenda or stevia

Options
I'm trying to reduce the sugar intake in my diet.

Splenda or Stevia?

Is one than the other? Taste?

Replies

• embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I love stevia... i don't really notice any funky taste..and i think it has less wierd processing to it then splenda does... splenda is better then sweet n low and all that though! Target has a target brand of stevia..and it's about $1.50 for 40 packets :) I think Truvia is a bit of the purer form of stevia though too... same plant, different part from what I have read :)
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    i use stevia drops that i get at a local health food co-op. i love em... use them in plain yogurt, etc...
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Stevia for me. It's natural and so low-cal that it counts as zero. :)
  • jenfactor
    Options
    I would go with stevia. It seems to be less evil-chemical crap. (Says the girl who adores Diet Coke).
    My advice would be to start with just a little bit... I find I only need a very small amount, less than I would use regular sugar, to sweeten my coffee.
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I would say stevia because it is more natural. Not the best taste, but I always choose natural over chemical. I have an adverse reaction to Splenda, but even if I could eat it, I wouldn't. I have heard truvia (uses stevia) is ok.
  • skinnypigeon
    skinnypigeon Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Stevia for sure. I find if you use a little natural sweetener, honey or coconut sugar it helps eliminate the "artificial" taste. I use the liquid drops, great in ice tea, oatmeal, green smoothies, ANYTHING!
  • 1traviesa
    Options
    humm ive been wondering this for a while also...I'm a sweet n low gal, but that can easily be changed...
    Gracias!!!
  • easfahl
    easfahl Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    So I'm trying to try stevia in a few recipes but couldn't find it at Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market. Guess I'm confused about what I'm looking for. So there's a liquid form and a granulated/raw form, correct? When using them in place of sugar in a recipe, what's the conversion? 1 cup stevia = how many cups sugar? Is the conversion of liquid stevia the same as granulated/raw stevia? As in 1 cup liquid stevia = 1 cup granulated stevia?
  • nitnole711
    Options
    Stevia for me! Splenda gave me constant headaches. Stevia tasted bitter to me at first, but I stuck with it, got used to after about a week.
  • KacieHetrick
    KacieHetrick Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I had Truvia on my grapefruit today, it was very good! I only saw it in the packets, not certain if they sell if in larger quantities.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I would say Stevia because it is from the leaves of a natural plant. They sell them in packets and in larger quantities for baking. I think it tastes good. I used it for my coffee instead of loading up with creamer which can add lots of calories quickly.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    I use both, stevia is sweeter but has a bit of an after tast. Splenda doesn't have teh after tast but not as sweet. Stevia comes in flavors like english toffee, vanilla and chocolate mint and many other flavors. I love those flavors :love:

for my hubby who is not used to sugar free I do half sugar and half sugar free; usually splenda.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Stevia because I can't have artificial sweeteners. Since Stevia is all natural I can still have it.
  • EthanJeremiahsMama
    EthanJeremiahsMama Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I love Stevia In The Raw packets!
  • luvinlaurakate
    luvinlaurakate Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I use the Great Value brand of Stevia packets. Ya, it has a bit of an "off" taste, but I got used to it pretty quick. I haven't tried any of it in actual food though, and would beinterested as well in how it works and turns out in it.