Here for advice and support

cdm1560
cdm1560 Posts: 4
edited September 18 in Introduce Yourself
Hi, my name is Crystal.
Joined to see if I could get some advice and suggestions....
I am 35 years old and weight 150lbs, trying to lose 20lbs.

I joined the gym and have been working out for an hour three to four times
a week for over a month now and have not lost one pound.
Very frustrating, I've been watching what I eat too, I don't eat alot of junk.

I hear alot of varying theories on exercise and weight loss....and am starting
to get a little overwhelmed...
When I'm on the treadmill or elliptical I try to stay at my heart rate for "fat burn" but then I don't
seem to burn as many calories?
Not sure if I should be using the heart rate target for "fat burn" or for "cardiovascular".

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated :-)

Crystal

Replies

• cdm1560
    Hi, my name is Crystal.
    Joined to see if I could get some advice and suggestions....
    I am 35 years old and weight 150lbs, trying to lose 20lbs.

I joined the gym and have been working out for an hour three to four times
    a week for over a month now and have not lost one pound.
    Very frustrating, I've been watching what I eat too, I don't eat alot of junk.

I hear alot of varying theories on exercise and weight loss....and am starting
    to get a little overwhelmed...
    When I'm on the treadmill or elliptical I try to stay at my heart rate for "fat burn" but then I don't
    seem to burn as many calories?
    Not sure if I should be using the heart rate target for "fat burn" or for "cardiovascular".

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated :-)

Crystal
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    Mix up your cardio.... fat burn and cardio/heart through the week, include interval training and resistance training. You can do all the exersice you want and eat healthy food but if the portions are too big and you bring in more calories of any food than you burn in the day you will not lose. Good luck in your journey, look through some of the past posts and you will get some great advice and thoughts of the members.:smile:
  • prettyinpink
    prettyinpink Posts: 94 Member
    Mix up your cardio.... fat burn and cardio/heart through the week, include interval training and resistance training. You can do all the exersice you want and eat healthy food but if the portions are too big and you bring in more calories of any food than you burn in the day you will not lose. Good luck in your journey, look through some of the past posts and you will get some great advice and thoughts of the members.:smile:

I completely agree!! I would mix it up a bit!! :oP Good luck and keep at it!! You are only helping your body to help you live a longer life!!
  • Hey Crystal,

Congrats on the good work you are already doing! It is not wasted. Your health is much better for it in many ways. Losing weight and finding the right formula for you will take time. Mixing it up is good advice as your body gets "good" at certain activities so you have to work harder at them each time. Interval trainging is the best I think. Warm up slowly, go to the max you can for a minute or two and then back off for a minute or two or whatever it takes you to feel like you are almost recovered. Repeat that as many times as you can and cool down. The machines have presets but they don't know your body. If you can easily carry on a conversation while exercising you ain't working hard enough. As far as your eating, you don't have to eat junk not to lose weight. Do the calorie counter here and see what you are consuming everyday. Knock out anything white out of your diet (white bread, sugar...) and remember to eat things as close to whole and as God made them. If after doing these things and knowing exactly what you eat and burn, you still don't lose weight go to a doctor and bring proof of what you've been doing (you can print this stuff out). Remember exercise is great but eating properly is 80% of the game. (My best friend is a personal trainer and card holding bodybuilder and seh always tells me that.)

Keep us posted...send me a message!

:happy:

Lori
  • cdm1560
    Hi there! I haven't been on to look at my posts in awhile...
    Thanks for the info and the encouragement!
    I've been using the exercise and calorie counter on here and it's working great,
    I've been keeping under my calories, and looks like I've lost a few pounds in the
    last couple of weeks, I have to buy a tape measure and see if I've lost any inches...haha
    Thanks! :smile:
  • cdm1560
    Thanks for the advice....I've been doing really well the last
    couple of weeks and seem to have lost a few pounds :smile:
  • Awesome!!!!!!!!!:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
This discussion has been closed.