Boxing?

Does anyone here box and have any tips for someone interested in starting? I have about 100lbs to loose and figure why not learn something that I've been interested in while I work on my health. I've found a group class that meets twice a week and is mainly men and I"m a bit intimidated, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

Replies

• lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    I have a TaeBo dvd I do at home and love it! It's a great workout and low impact for your joints. Try the class and do what you can and don't worry about you think others might be thinking. You'll have a blast and get a great workout!
  • I use a Turbo Jam dvd. Its a type of boxing workout but has kicks in it too
  • Boxing is a great way to work out and loose weight.Its an overall work out and who doesn't want a boxers body lets face it.

My advice just go and try it,gyms have lots of varied boxercise classes all over the world.Go for it.Your more likely to loose weight doing something you love than something you can excuse your way out of :)

Go well and good luck :)
  • AlSalzman
    AlSalzman Posts: 296 Member
    I dropped 30lbs with kickboxing before I joined MFP. Whether hands-only or feet/hands/knees/elbows, it's a great way to get and stay in shape.

Is this more of a group class / fitness center type of setting, or are we talking about an honest-to-goodness, pad-up-and-spar place where you learn to fight? Because what each one offers is very different, and just determining what type of place you're considering can help narrow down the questions.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Boxing is a great workout! I highly recommend.
    If the gym is half way decent you should be able to train for fitness and never participate in an actual boxing match.
    I do Martial Arts at a boxing gym and about 1/3 of the people in the boxing group are women/girls who are there for the fitness.
    Note that a similar alternative that is just as fun is kick boxing. Another great workout with the added benefit of some serious leg exercises.

Good luck and have fun!
  • beccala18
    beccala18 Posts: 293 Member
    Start slow and just work on making it through the class for the first few - you'll get more coordinated and better at the moves. I've been doing a muay-thai boxing class for over a year and I love it! My arms and core are so much stronger now than they were. And I definitely can keep up if not exceed the boys in class.

I agree with the poster above that if it's something you want to do, then you are much more likely to continue to do it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,901 Member
    Kickboxing (and not just the cardio kind) with a bag and gloves is an excellent way to burn calories, strengthen your bones (impacts) and strengthen your whole body while getting in some HIIT at the same time.
    I instruct it and is one of the most popular classes among both sexes.
  • I take kickboxing classes and really enjoy them. I've had several experiences over the years with it and can say that I was not a fan of the "cardio-kickboxing" that is offered at most gyms. I was never an aerobics or step class person and the classes were too much like those for me. Twice I've taken classes with Martial Arts instructors and greatly enjoyed them. Currently, I go to a Martial Arts studio that also offers a fat-burning kickbox program. The Sensei is a boxer as well as a black belt and while about 1/2 the class is devoted to cardio/fat-burning exercises, the other 1/2 is learning combinations and working the bags or sparring. I'm really enjoying it and can tell it is making a difference. They also provide meal plans to members looking to lose weight.

So my suggestion, look at your local Martial Arts schools to see if any of them offer classes.
  • loki3981
    loki3981 Posts: 249 Member
    I dropped 30lbs with kickboxing before I joined MFP. Whether hands-only or feet/hands/knees/elbows, it's a great way to get and stay in shape.

Is this more of a group class / fitness center type of setting, or are we talking about an honest-to-goodness, pad-up-and-spar place where you learn to fight? Because what each one offers is very different, and just determining what type of place you're considering can help narrow down the questions.

The place I'm looking at is a MMA gym with sparring and such. They also offer Thia kickboxing and ji-jitsu as well as grappling. Personally I'd rather do the real sport.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    My boxing class is all men, and it's fun. I highly recommend it. Just go and have a good time.

P.S. We need more chicks who can throw a punch. You go girl!
  • ali139
    ali139 Posts: 17
    Does anyone here box and have any tips for someone interested in starting? I have about 100lbs to loose and figure why not learn something that I've been interested in while I work on my health. I've found a group class that meets twice a week and is mainly men and I"m a bit intimidated, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

I started boxing in my sessions with my trainer a few weeks ago. It is an amazing workout and great stress relief too, I now do a class a week plus do it with my trainer. I would definitely recommend you give it ago. I didn't think I could love a workout as much as I love boxing. Let us know how you find it! Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
  • AlSalzman
    The place I'm looking at is a MMA gym with sparring and such. They also offer Thia kickboxing and ji-jitsu as well as grappling. Personally I'd rather do the real sport.
    Attagirl.

OK, things to look for:
    1) Can the instructors actually fight? Google the term "McDojo" to see why this is important... any instructor worth $0.02 has spent some time in competition and/or combat (note: not the same thing), and they will be willing to discuss their background/lineage/history candidly and openly without bragging.
    2) Can they actually instruct? Being a good fighter doesn't mean they can convey the techniques effectively. Ask to watch a couple classes. Ask to speak with a couple students with differing degrees of experience. Anyone confident in their ability to teach will share their students and the students will confirm the instructor's abilities.
    3) Is there a "team" atmosphere, or is it all about the "top dog?" Some gyms have a couple main guys, and everyone else is cannon fodder. Good gyms manage to have everyone work together without the experienced guys hammering all over the newbies.
    4) How are your classes structured? Do the rookies get a gradual "on ramp," or are they thrown into the deep end?

Do they have a website?
  • AlSalzman
    BTW, my class last night was probably 40% women. For some reason, our instructor just has phenomenal success with his female students. He's probably had as many female students win tournaments as male students. At our school, saying someone fights like a girl is definitely not an insult.

I'm 6'1", 185 and I did two rounds of touch sparring with a 5'5", 135lbs lady. She pretty much handed me my lunch. And it wasn't the first time it had happened, either.
  • loki3981
    loki3981 Posts: 249 Member
    Its www.guardianmma.com
    The instructor for boxing is a USA boxing certified coach and the kickboxing instructor is undefeated and trained other champs. I can do a week of classes for free and am thinking about doing Muay Thia kickboxing and American boxing so I have 4 classes a week to participate in.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Tae Bo is the best kickboxing workout I have done. It's my number one workout.

I have Silk Manning workouts too.

As for just boxing workouts, I have the following:

Sugar Ray Leonard & Laila Ali: Knockout Two-Pack

I want to get Michael Olajide Jr. boxing workouts. I have a Kathy Smith workout, where he does a segment with her.
  • AlSalzman
    Its www.guardianmma.com
    The instructor for boxing is a USA boxing certified coach and the kickboxing instructor is undefeated and trained other champs. I can do a week of classes for free and am thinking about doing Muay Thia kickboxing and American boxing so I have 4 classes a week to participate in.
    OK, the FAQs on their site say the right things. If they are doing what they say in the FAQ section, you should enjoy training there without pressure to compete and without being tossed into a meatgrinder of tough guys. The free week would be a great way to see if the school really does run as advertised. Take advantage of that time to see if the instructors are effective communicators, if the students are happy and stick around long-term, etc...

Muay Thai is a great striking art... it's a phenomenal workout and has excellent real-world self-defense applications.

Give it a shot, and best of luck!