Sugar Intake

Options
Just wondering if a person would still lose weight if they are under calories but over in the daily intake of sugar all the time?

Thanks

Replies

• sryan8408
    Options
    Depends on the person. Its possible but eventually it will hinder it.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    You answered your own question. Having a caloric deficit between what you eat and exercise is what makes you lose weight.
    You could probably eat sugar all day and if you're under your calories still lose, but it sure won't be healthy and you'll probably feel like crap.
  • MommyofBoys
    Options
    You answered your own question. Having a caloric deficit between what you eat and exercise is what makes you lose weight.
    You could probably eat sugar all day and if you're under your calories still lose, but it sure won't be healthy and you'll probably feel like crap.

Doesn't it matter where we get our calories from?
  • taryn_perry
    taryn_perry Posts: 193 Member
    Options

Doesn't it matter where we get our calories from?

It certainly matters where your calories come from. What types of foods are you eating to have your sugar intake so high??
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    My sugars are high, but from fresh fruit and vegetables mostly...try and keep added sugar 40g and under.
  • MommyofBoys
    Options
    I love chocolate, so I use lots of my calories on it.
    I also love coffee and I put 2 tsp. of sugar in each cup. I've tried using splenda, but I'm almost positive I retain water when I use it.
  • jrgold
    jrgold Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It matters, but yes, you can def still lose weight. I have already lost a few pounds and I prob eat too much sugar, just look at my diary!

I would reccomend you try to get as much protein as you can just because it will make you feel fuller and satisfied. But if sugar sneaks its way in there, you can still lose weight.
  • dedarlin
    dedarlin Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    if your calories are empty (lots of simple sugars) your body will not build muscle...so even though you may still lose pounds, it is not the best way to go about it. the math is simple yes, expend more calories than you consume. but logistically, you want the calories you do take in to aid in building lean muscle mass, which in turn will boost your metabolism and help you to burn more even when you are not working out. balance is key, lean protein, lots of fruits and veggies, good whole grain carbs...if you stick to mostly whole foods (very few processed and highly refined foods) then your sugar intake shoudn't be much of a concern :) hope this helps.
    oh, and lastly, please read up on and watch out for High Fructose Corn Syrup! it is pretty much one of the worst things you can consume, and is in LOTS of stuff, including lots of whole grain breads...read your labels! :)

http://www.womentowomen.com/healthyweight/highfructosecornsyrup.aspx
  • MommyofBoys
    Options
    Thanks for the replies!