Is p90x worthless?

Options

Replies

• jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    P90X is a great program, remember most trainers are sales people trying to sell their services.

^^^This. Jillian and P90X threaten to put them out of a job.
  • Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    This is the best thing said by FAR..... Personal Trainers (if good at what they do) would be better in that you will have an individualized workout tailored towards your body and goals. Like he said though, the problem lies in that there are a lot of bad trainers out there. They may just want your business, they may be prone to pushing THEIR workout on you and not making one for YOU personally.
    No, P90x is not worthless or Turbulence Training for that matter.

Will an off the shelf programme ever be as good as an individualised programme put together by a knowledgeable trainer bearing closely in mind the client's specific goals? No.

The spanner in the works is sadly that the majority of trainers in commercial gyms appear to be complete idiots.
  • MommyLyssa
    Options
    I find the runners body type the most sexy of them all :) call me crazy. Ha!

Sorry- I have no actual input, but I saw scrawny runner build, and got defensive (and no, I don't have one :p) Goodness, I love 'em!
  • thump418
    thump418 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    P90X is not worthless, not sure where this trainer is getting their information. Look at the before and after pictures from P90. I have been doing it for the past 120 days and have seen definite changes in my body and it is also great to see your progress. I went from being able to do 1 chin up when I first started to being able to do 15 120 days later. P90 does work. Keep on working.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Ask him one simple question: "why?" If he can't give you a clear answer, then he's full of it.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    Ask him one simple question: "why?" If he can't give you a clear answer, then he's full of it.

^^^This too.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Running is very hard on a person and seriously unhealthy.

That's a ridiculous statement. I am pushing 50 and have NO running related issues. We are all gonna die some day!! And if I do it doing something I love, I'm Ok with that.

To the OP: It could be that he is just not a fan of P90x...we are all entitled to our opinions. What you didn't say was how long you have been doing it. From your post, it sounds like you aren't getting the results that you want, so IMO there would be no harm in shaking things up a bit.
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Gaining lean muscle mass and ditching body fat you'll need a few things... 1. clean diet and 2. adequate weight lifting & sensible cardio. I think P90X is reasonable, although I'd probably cut some of the running (depending on how much you do) and swap that for HIIT training if you really want to lean out.

I'm currently doing Jamie Eason's LiveFit Trainer on Bodybuilding.com and it's been awesome!! You should check it out and shoot me a message if you have more Q's, but I think by spring you should be at your goal. I'm aiming for 18% body fat--spring here too! And I should add... I'm starting P90X on January 1st w/ my husband! :D

ITA with this. A lot of it and I mean the majority of it IS diet . Garbage in, garbage out.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest targetting reducing body fat or gaining muscle mass one at a time rather than together. I suspect you'll have better results.

Lifting heavy with free weights will do a better job of increasing your strength than a workout dvd, but that certainly doesn't mean that those dvd's are bad for you, or that you will somehow not see results if you use them.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I really appreciate your opinions because it helps me to hear all sides of an issue before making up my mind. One item I should have mentioned and forgot; this trainer lives in another city than my own. Therefore, he knew from the beginning I would not be able to train at his personal gym. The gym he is employed by is part of a hospital program and he makes no commission whatsoever. :)

Darn--there go all the conspiracy theories.

And the the people seemed so SURE that was the case.

Because we all know--trainers are ONLY in it for the MONEY. Whereas Beachbody provides all of their programs, etc, SOLELY out of the goodness of their heart. And the protein and supplements too.

Sarcasm intended, but....sarcasm aside, a couple of points:

Don't get hung up on a scale number. Especially when following a vigorous workout program, "goal weight" can be a moving target.

Focus on body fat percentage--and make sure the method you are using is reliable. For example, I wouldn't question my program based a cheapo body fat scale or handheld device. Skinfold measurements don't always give a precise body fat %, but they do reliably track changes in subcutaneous fat.

In calling P90X "worthless" your friend might be reacting more to the marketing hype and the nonsense concept of "muscle confusion". Someone who is a real professional can find it easy to dismiss the whole program out of a general distaste for the marketing and the company behind it. Certainly there is nothing unique about P90X --I think of it as being basically "meh" and overpriced, but I wouldn't call it "worthless". Many programs can be effective if done properly.

To some extent, continuing to lose fat once you are reaching lower levels of body fat, becomes more of an issue of fat mobilization than fat oxidation. You still want to do regular endurance work, but the focus gradually shifts to more intense training.
  • taryn_perry
    taryn_perry Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Whether it's a CPT putting a specific workout together for you, doing a Jillian Michael's tape, P90X, CrossFit, running, etc., all are good in their own right, but the results will ONLY come if your eating is on par. 80% (some debate this - but I'm a believer) of any results in fat loss, comes from the foods we eat.

Clean, REAL food is the key. Not the quick processed and "convenience" foods. We need to get back to the basics with eating, as there are too many short cuts.
  • Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    You do sound like you kow your stuff, but over priced? I wouldn't exactly say that. I mean how many training session would you need with a personal trainer and how much would that run you? Even if you think of it from a non-health standpoint (which is retarted), P90X still isn't expesnive. You get like 12+ Disk averaging 1hr for about $120ish....
    Thank you everyone! I really appreciate your opinions because it helps me to hear all sides of an issue before making up my mind. One item I should have mentioned and forgot; this trainer lives in another city than my own. Therefore, he knew from the beginning I would not be able to train at his personal gym. The gym he is employed by is part of a hospital program and he makes no commission whatsoever. :)

Darn--there go all the conspiracy theories.

And the the people seemed so SURE that was the case.

Because we all know--trainers are ONLY in it for the MONEY. Whereas Beachbody provides all of their programs, etc, SOLELY out of the goodness of their heart. And the protein and supplements too.

Sarcasm intended, but....sarcasm aside, a couple of points:

Don't get hung up on a scale number. Especially when following a vigorous workout program, "goal weight" can be a moving target.

Focus on body fat percentage--and make sure the method you are using is reliable. For example, I wouldn't question my program based a cheapo body fat scale or handheld device. Skinfold measurements don't always give a precise body fat %, but they do reliably track changes in subcutaneous fat.

In calling P90X "worthless" your friend might be reacting more to the marketing hype and the nonsense concept of "muscle confusion". Someone who is a real professional can find it easy to dismiss the whole program out of a general distaste for the marketing and the company behind it. Certainly there is nothing unique about P90X --I think of it as being basically "meh" and overpriced, but I wouldn't call it "worthless". Many programs can be effective if done properly.

To some extent, continuing to lose fat once you are reaching lower levels of body fat, becomes more of an issue of fat mobilization than fat oxidation. You still want to do regular endurance work, but the focus gradually shifts to more intense training.
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Not a trainer, but then I've also never paid for a trainer. I simply research and try a lot of things myself, along with taking a lot of free advice from MFP and other sources. So although I'm not a trainer I probably know more than a lot of trainers who do it because it's their job - I do it and learn it and soak up all knowledge because I LIKE IT!

Maybe your trainer has dismissed P90x with a whole bunch of other exercise dvd's. Maybe he's trying to avoid losing a regular source of income to free (after the initial cost) home workouts. Maybe he just doesn't know what he's talking about. Dismissing the whole program as worthless just sounds like a nonsense to me.

It's a program including resistance training which you tailor to your own intensity level, cardio which will burn calories and strip fat, and a nutrition guide which while it isn't what I use personally, is pretty much nutrionally sound and will work if you tailor it to your goals. How on earth can every element of that be worthless? So about 100 odd different variations of free weight movements are all useless? Only the 10 or so that he's giving you are any good? Sorry but I call bull.

Your body doesn't care which slight variation of a bicep curl you're doing. All it knows is that the bicep muscle is being overloaded and to adapt to the increasing load it needs to grow and become stronger. That's the bottom line. It doesn't honestly matter whether it's Tony Horton showing you the form, your personal trainer or heck, a youtube demo video. I do P90x to keep me on track and take the thinking out of the order and rep counts etc. Much easier for me to follow along than to get to a gym and figure out which moves and how many reps I need to go with for that workout.

As has been said before me, the key is eating right and balancing resistance and cardio at the right level. P90x does a pretty good job of giving you a fairly balanced workout schedule - just show up and do it and make sure you're hitting YOUR intensity level for YOUR goals and you can't go too far wrong. The nutrition part is the bit which requires some thought and input from you. Plus, YOU have to have the willpower to stick with your nutritional goals. Sometimes you have to be hungry, that's normal. Sometimes you have to eat when you're not hungry, that's normal.

Sorry, I went off on one a bit there. In conclusion though, I'm not one to believe 'success stories' - I know most of them are legit but I always have a nagging feeling that it's all part of the marketing plan - so I check things out for myself. I'm on day 64 of P90x and I have to say from my own results that I see with my eyes and feel with my hands on my own body that no, P90x is definitely not worthless. But it's also not a magic pill which will give you the body of a god... You still have to put the hard work in yourself....

Hope some of that helps...

Jay
  • fitinthemiddle
    Options
    P90x is not worthless. It allows you to workout in your home Even in your underwear if you want. What''s wrong with that? However, the workouts are intense for beginners and I think most people find it difficult to sustain them long term. Perhaps your trainer felt that they would not work for you based on his knowledge of you and the physical requirements of P90x.
  • mnishi
    mnishi Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I took a boot camp class and the instructor recommended P90X. She was in absolute perfect shape, not one ounce of fat.
  • Rain_Howard
    Options
    I'm sure the trainer had no personal reason for saying. Ask p90x what it thinks of personal trainers, probably get the same answer.
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Running is very hard on a person and seriously unhealthy. At least one person dies every year in marathons. The human body was not meant to run except in spurts as in an emergency. Also, it's awfully hard on the knees and feet, hips, etc. You may not notice it now but you will as you get older.

I think this is the single most ridiculous thing I've ever, ever read on MFP or any other forum. Congratulations.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Running is very hard on a person and seriously unhealthy. At least one person dies every year in marathons. The human body was not meant to run except in spurts as in an emergency. Also, it's awfully hard on the knees and feet, hips, etc. You may not notice it now but you will as you get older.

I think this is the single most ridiculous thing I've ever, ever read on MFP or any other forum. Congratulations.

It's the natural confluence of the old guard medical anti-running bias from the 50s and 60s and the "running burns muscle" hysteria making it's way around teh internetz.
  • queenfresh
    queenfresh Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    It's worthless if you don't BRING IT! (sorry, I couldn't resist)
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 895 Member
    Options

Thank you!