Basal Metabolic Rate

Options
According to my BMR, I burn a bit over 1500 calories per day, doing nothing. In the past 7 hours 21 minutes, I have burned 1354 calories according to my HRM. My heart rate jumps at work, currently at 101, and I seen it as high as 117. I have no idea if this is normal. Does this mean stress causes one to burn more calories?

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    HRM is not really accurate or designed for measuring calorie burn at rest.
  • hahahilarious
    Options
    How can I figure out my BMR? Anyone know the avg BMR?
  • Its_ali_bella
    Its_ali_bella Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My HMR is not accurate? I hope it can be some what - I paid $116 for it.
  • CountryDevil
    CountryDevil Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    HRM is not really accurate or designed for measuring calorie burn at rest.

This! If you want to measure calories burned at rest, get you a body bug. (http://www.bodybugg.com/)
  • maceycarey
    maceycarey Posts: 143 Member
    Options

type that question into your browser there are quite a few sites that have that info for you
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options

Click on 'tools' at the top of the site and then click on the 'BMR' tool. It will let you put in your stats and then it will calculate your BMR. BMR is what you would burn if you laid in bed all day and did nothing. BMR x (times) some number I can't remember is the amount you burn through normal daily activity. MFP uses that calculation when deciding on what your calorie goal will be - it starts with the number that represents your burn during daily activity and then subtracts the number of calories required to give you a weekly deficit resulting in weightloss. :-) Anyway, just saying MFP calculates it automatically for you when determining your calorie goals. But you can use the tool up there if you want to know the number yourself.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options

Most of them are only designed to be accurate during exercise, not during regular daily activities. There are some that are specifically made to be worn all day like you're describing. Check to see if your model recommends wearing only during exercise, or all day. The 'all day' ones are like the Body Bugg, BodyMedia Fit, etc.
  • taso42
    Options

Sorry no. It should be very accurate for aerobic activity, somewhat accurate for anaerobic activity (i.e., weight training), and not accurate at all at rest.

There are other devices, like CMmrsfloyd suggested, that can give you an all-day calorie burn estimate, but those are not heart rate monitors. They work on a totally different principle.
  • Its_ali_bella
    Options

Sorry no. It should be very accurate for aerobic activity, somewhat accurate for anaerobic activity (i.e., weight training), and not accurate at all at rest.

There are other devices, like CMmrsfloyd suggested, that can give you an all-day calorie burn estimate, but those are not heart rate monitors. They work on a totally different principle.

That is good to know. The Heart Rate itself, this is accurate?
  • taso42
    Options

Yep, the actual heart rate number should be extremely accurate. I'm assuming you have the kind with the chest strap.
  • Its_ali_bella
    Options

Yep, the actual heart rate number should be extremely accurate. I'm assuming you have the kind with the chest strap.

Yes, that is the one. The Polar FT40. Now, I need to know if my heart rate is normal.
  • taso42
    Options
    It does seem a bit on the high side. Does it do that jump up thing at random or when you're actually doing activity - even standing up and walking somewhere might jack it up. That would be normal. If you're sitting very still and it jumps up, that might be out of the ordinary. Might want to run it by your doctor.
  • Its_ali_bella
    Options
    It does seem a bit on the high side. Does it do that jump up thing at random or when you're actually doing activity - even standing up and walking somewhere might jack it up. That would be normal. If you're sitting very still and it jumps up, that might be out of the ordinary. Might want to run it by your doctor.

It happens when I'm working - for example, read an email from the state auditor, jumped to 117. Early in the morning it was in the 80-90s, but all afternoon it has been over 100. I'm an accountant.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    How your heart is affected by stress
    Stress affects your cardiovascular system in several ways:
    Heart rate increases.
    The rate of blood flow speeds up, increasing blood pressure.
    The release of fatty acids into the bloodstream for energy increases cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
    Under chronic stress, the continued release of cortisol seems to have some effect on where fat is deposited in the body, most often in the abdomen.

http://www.hearthealthyonline.com/heart-disease-overview/stress-management/stress-effect-on-heart_1.html
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    As others have said... HRM are not meant to count calories while at rest, though the HR will be accurate.

If your resting HR is in the 80s, then a "normal" HR in the low 100s sounds reasonable.

There are BMR calculators all over the web, and I believe MFP has one too. A reasonable approximation is 14-16 times your body weight.
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Hey Ali, a couple questions:

How would you categorize your present fitness, if you had to? Low, Medium, High, Top. That is defined by your last 3 months of cardio training. Did you average 0-1 per week (low), 1-3 Medium, High is 3-5, and Top is 5+.

How long have you been maintaining that schedule?
  • Its_ali_bella
    Options
    Hey Ali, a couple questions:

How would you categorize your present fitness, if you had to? Low, Medium, High, Top. That is defined by your last 3 months of cardio training. Did you average 0-1 per week (low), 1-3 Medium, High is 3-5, and Top is 5+.

How long have you been maintaining that schedule?

I've been doing circuit training (30 day shred, and 6 pack abs) for over 2 months. Before that, I was just doing the elliptical machine. 6 - 7 times per week.
  • Its_ali_bella
    Options
    As others have said... HRM are not meant to count calories while at rest, though the HR will be accurate.

If your resting HR is in the 80s, then a "normal" HR in the low 100s sounds reasonable.

There are BMR calculators all over the web, and I believe MFP has one too. A reasonable approximation is 14-16 times your body weight.

Low 100 is good? Good to know. It also reached 158 - at work, my average was 90. I need to focus on relaxing, now I know.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Low 100 is good? Good to know. It also reached 158 - at work, my average was 90. I need to focus on relaxing, now I know.

I don't know if it's good or not... that *seems* high to me, but my HR is the only thing I have to compare it to, and HRs are SOOOO individual. I'm sure your doctor could tell you if it's something to be worried about. My point was that if the resting HR is in the 80s, then a "normal" HR of 100 or so sounds reasonable as your normal HR (HR when doing whatever it is you do during the day) will be a bit higher than your resting HR (when relaxed, i.e. at rest).