Is there a "too high" when it comes to heart rate?

Options
Now that I've got my HRM, I know that when I do the elliptical, I peak out around 170-175bpm by the time I ramp up around 10 minutes in and stay that way pretty much until I'm done, usually around 130 strides per minute on average. I see other people post lower rates, in a lot of cases, a lot lower, so I'm wondering if mine getting so high is anything to worry about. I feel fine during that time, and within 2-3 of finishing, I'm back down to my resting heart rate, which is around 118 according to the HRM.

Should I be concerned at all?

Replies

• mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I wonder the same... sometimes mine goes as high at 190+ where it says "normal" range is max 165...
  • sryan8408
    Options
    I get up to 190s when I run. Always have even at my fittest. My resting is usually high 90s low 100s. Thats a question for a doctor though. Because it varies by individual.
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Mine hit 192 during my run today. "Normal" is different for everyone.
  • lisy28
    lisy28 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Im the same with my heart rate monitor but my resting heart rate is lower

After i excersise i get down to resting HR fairly quickly tooo

hrmmmmmmmmmmm
  • kittyr77
    kittyr77 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about a heart rate in 170s especially as you feel fine. I read that maximum heart rate is 230-age.
    I am 27 and if i push myself super hard i get my heart rate into the mid 180s during body combat.
    I would worry if you have any pain or fluttering in your chest, feel dizzy or black out.
    Its a good sign that you recover quickly too. Listen to your body and stop if it doesn't feel right.
    Good luck and happy training!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    When I first started working out I would hit 190+ on my cardio workouts. After a few months my cardiovascular health improved and I was only getting up to the 160-170's max.
  • kiwi1855
    kiwi1855 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about the 170-175 (but if you're pushing yourself, then that's working in the anaerobic range... which shouldn't be the majority of your workout... however, I'm not 100% sure on that one, so I'm leaving that alone...)

HOWEVER - resting HR should NEVER be higher than 100. Even 100 is pushing it. Average resting heart rate for your age category (and for males) is about 74-78 bpm. Anything higher than 82 is considered "poor".

Now, if you mean your recovery heart rate, then that's ok. However if you are sitting and doing nothing and your HR is 118, and you've done nothing to exert yourself the last little while, I would go see a doctor on that merit alone.

The other possibility is that your HRM is off, and may be a "lemon". You may want to test it - take your HR manually at the same time and see if both you and the machine come up with the same number.
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I was having the same kind of issue. I wore my HRM 24 hours to see where my HR was during different parts of the day. I found out that my HR stayed between 90-110 even when sitting and driving a car, reading etc... In the morning (after the first shock of the alarm where it was at 116) the rate dropped down to the low 70s as I drowsed in bed.

I assume my true resting rate is 70-75 and until I get into shape I'll just keep having a high pulse. My bike rides are around 150-170 and when I run it goes up in the same range.
  • billythewiz
    billythewiz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If you feel ok with 170 then I wouldn't worry.
    When I was in my 20s my HR could hit 200 when I was playing squash (that didn't feel OK).
    These days (in my 40s) 170 is very hard for me and I much prefer to go longer with a lower heart rate.

In my case, running with a low HR (~140) has allowed me to run for longer, more regularly, with less pain the day after.
    The key to fitness and weight loss is to train regularly and for me, if it hurts to much, either when I'm doing it or then next day, then I do it less often.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    As others have said... normal is different for everyone. HR in the 170s isn't anything to worry about, especially since you felt ok at that point.

For comparisons sake, my naormal HR during cardio work is 165ish, Max I've hit is 191... resting HR is 60.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    if you collapse and wake up in hospital it maybe too high.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Now that I've got my HRM, I know that when I do the elliptical, I peak out around 170-175bpm by the time I ramp up around 10 minutes in and stay that way pretty much until I'm done, usually around 130 strides per minute on average. I see other people post lower rates, in a lot of cases, a lot lower, so I'm wondering if mine getting so high is anything to worry about. I feel fine during that time, and within 2-3 of finishing, I'm back down to my resting heart rate, which is around 118 according to the HRM.

Should I be concerned at all?
    Worried about…?

:-)

Your heart will continue to beat faster 'til you hit max HR*. The expression "blowing up" means exercising so hard that you are gasping for air - it doesn't mean that your heart blows up.

Google "training heart range" to get a handle on heart rates. BTW, the formula "22- your age" is wildly inaccurate. I'm 55 so, according to that formula, my max HR should be 165 and that's way, way off. When I started running in June, I clocked many miles in the 170's and did one run where I hit 185. Earlier this year, when I was using the ellip, I cranked it up to 200 just to see what it would be like. No problems (I've have a stress EKG and a VO2 uptake done since then).

Enjoy your workouts!

*max HR is the fastest that your heart is physically able to beat
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    They say that if you are able to carry on a conversation while working out, you are safe. When you are gasping for air and have difficulty speaking, you are getting close to your max rate.

However, I gasp for air every single time I workout and I always struggle with it. I figure, since I'm young and my blood pressure is fairly low, I can push it a little bit and not end up in serious trouble.