almond milk

Options
I have seen where different people use almond milk. I almost bought some, but wasn't exactly sure that I would like it for the price you pay for it. do you use it to cook with or do people drink it like regular milk?

Replies

• fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    It is fantastic in cereal!
  • alisonwww
    Options
    I like the unsweetened vanilla. 40 calories for 1 cup and it's really good on cereal.
  • summalovaable
    summalovaable Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    For baking and cooking we have skim milk powder at home. I found it a little difficult to get used to the taste of almond milk at first, but after a few times of having it I prefer it over regular milk!(I wasn't a big milk drinker before though, so I could be biased). I use almond milk like I would milk for drinking and cereal. Though like i said, i think baking wise it might be best to stick with regular milk :)
  • Lady_Layla
    Lady_Layla Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My entire family loves it. We use it for everything, and no one misses regular dairy milk. I have even used the regular, unsweetened when making mac-n-cheese.
  • PrincessMorticia
    PrincessMorticia Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I've used soy, almond, rice, and coconut milk in different recipes for years. Other than a light difference in taste, they don't seem to work differently in cooking. I personally recommend unsweetened rice milk....it's a little thinner than soy or almond milk, and doesn't have much of a flavor to it, so to me it tastes like skim milk.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Silk Unsweetened Almond Milk. 35 cals/cup.

I drink it like regular milk. Use it in cereal. Etc. I think it's a million times better than normal milk.
  • TheGlen
    TheGlen Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    We use almond or coconut milk for all our baking/drinking/etc.

One thing I have noticed with the almond milk, the brands/flavours vary significantly. Don't let not liking one brand scare you away...we tried a couple before we found one the whole family liked.
  • seven8seven
    seven8seven Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have drank it like regular milk...its very tasty!!
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I use it as a creamer substitute in my cheap coffee. It's the only use I've found for it that I, personally, like.
  • xALEXANDROx
    xALEXANDROx Posts: 3,416 Member
    Options
    i use it for my smoothies.love it .
  • klutzydreamer
    klutzydreamer Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I generally use the unsweetened almond milk in my cereal every morning. It's not bad to drink plain either (I prefer the chocolate kind for drinking straight), but I prefer to cook/bake with regular milk.
  • Jycooper
    Jycooper Posts: 195
    Options
    I have used it to drink, w/ cereal and cooking such as mashed potatoes, making corn muffins and other things. Its good I like it.
  • chellie346
    chellie346 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Seems like I need to just try them for myself. But i did notice that there was vanilla and original so that was mainly what scared me off, because I wasn't sure what to expect from it.
  • CookieCatCatcher
    CookieCatCatcher Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I cook/bake for a living and I sub almond milk in all recipes without a problem.
  • aiyana1228
    aiyana1228 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I like coconut more. It is amazing with fruit in oatmeal.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I cook/bake/drink/eat it in cereal/bathe in it. I heart almond milk.
  • jfrog123
    jfrog123 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I have been lactose intolerant for over ten years and can't take lactaid, so I was thrilled to find almond milk! I love the taste, and it is loaded with calcium. It is great on cereal, and I use it in my oatmeal every morning. It works well in most of the recipes I have tried. It is a little thin, but if you don't mind the consistency of skim milk you will be fine. One of my favorite snacks as a kid used to be a pb&j sandwich and a glass of cold chocolate milk. Now about once a month I will have a pb&j with chocolate almond milk, yum! I just use a little cocoa and a packet of stevia. I say give it a try!

Btw - my favorite is Blue Diamond unsweetened vanilla almond breeze
  • justsummie
    justsummie Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I love it, we use it for everything from cereal to cooking to coffee creamer. It is a little more expensive but there are usually coupons for it in the store or in the paper. Also our store has a store brand that tastes exactly like Silk or Blue Diamond.
  • biddysaurus
    biddysaurus Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I use it in my protein shakes. it's way more gentle on my stomach!
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is soooooo delicious, but soy, coconut and hemp milk are all great too!

I use it in shakes, to veganize recipes with cow's milk in them, but for only 40-60 calories a cup (depending on the brand), I love drinking it straight out of the carton! :)