Blurred & double vision when working out

Options
When I am working out & really pushing myself I get blurred & double vision. This only happens when I do cardio & I feel a little ill when it happens. It usually lasts for about 5 mins or so.I drink about a Lt of water during a 1hr session. I have been to the doc's & my B/P was fine Does this happen to anyone else or does anyone know why or what I could do to prevent it.

Replies

• Rachiepie6
    Rachiepie6 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I've had that happen to me on several occasions, only during/after netball or swimming, and ALWAYS due to lack of food leading up to the exercise, and resulting is really low blood sugar.

Try eating some good carbs before you workout, I don't know the miracle time to eat beforehand. A banana half an hour before seems to help a lot though.

Hope you figure it out :)
  • hm_day
    hm_day Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    EAT EAT EAT!
    I have hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) and if I work out on an empty stomach, I get severely ill and dizzy. If you're not eating prior to a workout, your body is using up the rest of your sugars and such to keep you going.
  • mcjabber
    mcjabber Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    When this happened to me during a marathon, I ended up in the hospital (they weren't sure if it was dehydration or hyponatremia, which is when you drink too much and it flushes out your electrolytes, basically). And I wasn't sure either--I'd been drinking a ton, but it was also a hot day. What you drink BEFORE your workout is also important. So is fuel, so if you're doing an intense workout on not enough calories (particularly carbs and/or sugar), you might not have enough to get through it. I'm no doctor, but this has been my experience.
  • PrincessMorticia
    PrincessMorticia Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Carbs and protein...try drinking a protein shake about half an hour before you start working out. The same was happening to me a couple years back.
  • SingSei
    Options
    I totally agree!
    It's really important to eat something small before you workout. Going too long without eating is probably what makes you become light headed. Also, try to stay hydrated during your workouts! Dehydration could make you weak.
    Remember: If you're doing the exercise wrong then it's like not doing anything at all.
    I hope this helps!
  • Linzmyers
    Linzmyers Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    This also happened to me until I figured it was my blood sugar. I ate protien and carbs before Working out and nothing until I brought a Gatorade with me while I worked out....I have sense had that feeling! Hope helps!!
  • Rachiepie6
    Options
    This also happened to me until I figured it was my blood sugar. I ate protien and carbs before Working out and nothing until I brought a Gatorade with me while I worked out....I have sense had that feeling! Hope helps!!

I like to avoid sports drinks most of the time, I do drink them from time to time, mostly with netball. When you ate protein and carbs before working out, were you eating carbs with low sugar? Just curious.
  • Linzmyers
    Linzmyers Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My carbs In the morning , which is when I usually work out, consist mainly of 100% whole grain English muffin and protein were eggs. And I dont drink sports drink and other time except then.
  • Rachiepie6
    Options
    There's like only 1g of sugar in that, maybe that's why?
    I am sooo going to try that for brekky, sounds good.
  • Bindibelle80
    Bindibelle80 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks Everyone

I try & stick to eating every 3,2,3,2,3 hrs which is what is recommended with the program Im on. I know my sugar intake is very low & that is probably whats doing it. Im not sure how to incorporate more without adversely affecting my results. Ive lost almost 10kg (22lb) in almost 8 weeks. I also drink plenty of water anywhere from 2-3Lt depending on workout. Might get a blood workup done & see my PT
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    When I am working out & really pushing myself I get blurred & double vision. This only happens when I do cardio & I feel a little ill when it happens. It usually lasts for about 5 mins or so.I drink about a Lt of water during a 1hr session. I have been to the doc's & my B/P was fine Does this happen to anyone else or does anyone know why or what I could do to prevent it.

Have you been tested for diabetes?
  • dbusa323
    Options
    I have the same problem. Just saw the eye doctor today. haven't gotten anywhere with other doctors. Have tried eating before exercising, not eating before, drinking extra water ,not drinking extra water, trying sugar when it happens from juice to chocolate and so far nothing has helped, problem is it is getting worse. Wish I had some answers but nothing, although I will post anything that happens to come up. Good luck
  • amccann7399
    Options
    I would recommend getting a comprehensive eye exam. Several conditions such as pigment dispersion syndrome/glaucoma, diabetes and MS (Uhthoff's syndrome) can cause blurred vision during exercise.