GREAT article on "Starvation mode" (and why most of us don't

Options
My heading meant to say Why most of us doon't need to worry about it happening to us!!!

http://fitnessblackbook.com/main/starvation-mode-why-you-probably-never-need-to-worry-about-it/

Replies

• Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    thanx for sharing
  • ncole3
    ncole3 Posts: 164
    Options
    bump
  • heykatieben
    heykatieben Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Ooh, thanks for sharing! Mystery solved :D
  • shesblossoming
    Options
    Bump. I would like to read this later and read comments.
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • liveinthemix
    liveinthemix Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Iiiiiinteresting!! Good read!!
  • chefgorman
    chefgorman Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sara709
    sara709 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    WHY DON'T PEOPLE WANT TO EAT???!!!??

I just don't get it.
    You eat right. You exercise. You DESERVE those exercise calories. MFP is throwing them at you! None of us got here because we hate food. Why not just enjoy the extra calories - or even just some of them?
  • Kyliechristie
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. Definately interesting.
  • Sarabeth5
    Sarabeth5 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Bunp
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I never eat my exercise calories, because it would be impossible for me to eat that much in a day. Why don't I eat them? Because I don't like forcing myself to eat when I'm not hungry, it just seems really counterintuitive.

I just don't get it.
    You eat right. You exercise. You DESERVE those exercise calories. MFP is throwing them at you! None of us got here because we hate food. Why not just enjoy the extra calories - or even just some of them?
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options

I just don't get it.

I agree. Exercise calories even taste better.
  • sara709
    sara709 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I never eat my exercise calories, because it would be impossible for me to eat that much in a day. Why don't I eat them? Because I don't like forcing myself to eat when I'm not hungry, it just seems really counterintuitive.

I just don't get it.

And that's fine, you don't have to eat them. Eating less than 1200 is where MFP says you'll run the risk of going into starvation mode. Personally, I think anyone who says they "can't" eat 1200 calories in a day is a liar. Again, none of us got here because we hate food..
  • PrincessMorticia
    PrincessMorticia Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Good read. I always suspected that the "starvation mode" bit was less of a threat than it's been made to seem. I've always thought of it this way...let's say a 300lb woman starts hardcore dieting and exercising and loses an average of 10lbs a week for a few months---I would seriously doubt that her body would have all of that fat stored [and of course almost no muscle to begin with] and choose to lose muscle mass. The body wouldn't want to "throw itself" under the bus". Of course I'm no expert...just something I've always thought.
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I totally agree-- I eat around 1200 calories a day, but I also do very heavy workouts (to the point where the amount of calories "left" at the end of the day is also around 1200)-- but I eat the foods that I like, and I'm never hungry, and I'm getting enough protein, carbs, and fiber, so it just doesn't make much sense to me to do it any other way.
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I love to eat! I eat when I'm hungry. Sometimes I go over my calories, sometimes I don't. I just don't feel compelled to eat my exercise calories just because they are there. I think that type of mindset is still too focused on what we "get" to eat, as opposed to eating the best to fuel ourselves for before and after workouts.

I also feel that people get waaaayyyy to focused on these exercise calories, when there is a possibility that they are overestimating calories actually burned, and possibly underestimating how many calories consumed.

The formula Is calories in are less than calories out....
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    bump
  • titletown
    titletown Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • laurentapia
    laurentapia Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    This guy really knows his stuff! I am interested in his workout plan for women. May have to check it out!

http://visualimpactforwomen.com/