HEART RATE MONITOR

Options
help!

i would like to buy a good, but cheap heart rate monitor, to figure out how many calories i burn with my work-outs. I'd ideally like to spend less than $50, but still have an HRM that'll count calories for me. And, btw, I hope this won't sound like a silly question, but do heart rate monitors come with a separate calorie counter function? or do you need to calculate what you've burned, based on what the heart rate the monitor tells you...?

please share HRM recommendations and/or links to buy an HRM OR a place to go to buy an HRM. :]

Replies

• BreakinTheChains
    BreakinTheChains Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    interested in what people have to say about this .. Im looking too
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
  • Sherie13
    Sherie13 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    So, you are going to get a million people telling you Polar is the best. I did some checking and they are great.

I got mine, Polar FT4 (their cheapest one) for about $65 with free shipping on Amazon. Whatever you do, you need one with a chest strap and most will tell you how many calories you've burned. Good luck!
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I got the New Balance N4, for about $55 from Amazon and love it. It counts calories burned as well.

Good luck!
  • tseecka
    tseecka Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, DON'T get a Mio.

I bought one for around 60 bucks and it was crap; I took it back two weeks later.
  • memobe
    memobe Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    My husband also has the Polar FT4 and loves it. Not expensive, and works like a charm. When you get it you program in your weight, height, gender etc etc and it calculates your calories for you while you exercise. i use it a lot myself, it is great!
  • runnerjenn0708
    runnerjenn0708 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I have a polar .. they run about 75-125 bucks .. well worth the extra money ... remember .. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!! :)
    It turned my whole work-out life around!!
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    my brother bought me a sigma pc-15. Its pretty good i burn less cals than MFP estimated, im not sure how much it would be in America

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sigma-PC15-Heart-Rate-Monitor/dp/B000G4YOUM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320791563&sr=8-1
  • annejuju
    annejuju Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I just got the Polar FT4 and I completely love it. So far it's worth it. This one includes the calorie counting function and there's also a mode that tell you your ideal heart rate zone. I would suggest spending the $15 extra ($65 total) for this one as it has the strap to monitor your heart rate continuously rather than the touch in system.
  • BreakinTheChains
    BreakinTheChains Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I just got the Polar FT4 and I completely love it. So far it's worth it. This one includes the calorie counting function and there's also a mode that tell you your ideal heart rate zone. I would suggest spending the $15 extra ($65 total) for this one as it has the strap to monitor your heart rate continuously rather than the touch in system.
    Marking this for later... i will be getting this one !!
  • ryvenna
    ryvenna Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    wow-- thank you, everyone, for your replies! i will get the polar ft4, and chest straps ftw :]
  • oceanerin
    oceanerin Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If you have an iPhone or iPad you may want to consider getting a hrm that will talk to your iPhone. I wish I did