BMI (WHERE IN THE RANGE ARE YOU?)

Options
I calculated my BMI today and noticed I was at the upper end of the Healthy section. First off, is this good or bad? Second off should I aim to be in the middle of this "range". My BMI was 25, post yours if you would like for comparisons.

Replies

• Yakisoba
    Yakisoba Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    BMI is a shoddy way of calculating whether or not you're healthy.

My BMI is idungiveadamn. =D
  • jagar07
    jagar07 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    mine is so much higher than that lol, but I'll share cause that's why we're here right? lol so....here it is.....lol......38 :)
  • snowfox92
    snowfox92 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    BMI is faulty. It just takes your overall weight, not how much fat percentage you actually have. Go get yourself a nice set of calipers and see how much fat you have on your body, then go by that. You don't want more than 25% fat on your body. Lower would be ideal. But BMI is just a bogus way of doing it that no one has actually decided to throw out the window. I wouldn't go by it because it's just overall weight.
  • mmhenry28
    mmhenry28 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I picked my goal weight by using the middle range of my BMI. I was in the healthy range but at the very top end of it.
  • LisaMariaCallow
    Options
    My BMI is 20, which is on the low end of healthy. I'm not sure how important BMI actually is, but I feel great, my weight is the lowest I've been in a long time, and I'm very happy with where I'm at!
  • vsyates
    vsyates Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Mine is 20.7 which is pretty close to the middle of the range for my height. I use this as a general guideline for me.
  • determinedcrystal
    determinedcrystal Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    sadly mines is 31.5 : (
  • iwantniceabs
    iwantniceabs Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    My BMI says 22. I'm pretty sure that's just supposed to give you a very general idea of whether you are in the healthy range or not. It can be pretty far off depending on how much muscle mass you have.
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I just lost 170 lbs and i'm still obese. My BMI when I started was an astounding 58, now only like 32. However my Body Fat % is inline so that's all I really care about.
  • iMeow
    iMeow Posts: 10
    Options
    I'm 5'9, weighed in at 176 this morning <cringe> and here's my BMI results:

Your BMI is: 26.0
    Target weight range: 125.3 - 169.3 lbs

I'm over... >=|
    But that's what I'm here for!! My goal is to reach 150lbs..
  • summer827
    summer827 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/assessing/bmi/adult_bmi/index.html...some reading if anyone is interested.

Mine is 21-22, I believe. I still have about ten more pounds of fat that I am not comfortable with. I'm aware of my BMI, but I don't consider it a measure of my health.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I'm overweight
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    I'm 27.8 (BMI)

Yet my last bodyfat was at 19%.

Not accurate for people who weight lift alot.
  • kak584
    Options
    BMI is a shoddy way of calculating whether or not you're healthy.

My BMI is idungiveadamn. =D

HA HA HA!!!! AGREED! I like calculating body fat better.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    BMI is useless. It may give a general idea if your body is mainly fat, but it isn't really useful for judging individuals.

That being said... my BMI is healthy! :laugh: 23.2 or so.

I recommend reading this - http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=106268439&sc=fb&cc=fp
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options
    36.1 the last time I weighed in. *Pokes gut*
  • kak584
    Options
    Sounds like everyone has no Faith in the BMI scores. I have a scale that calculates my Body fat % and water weight. Don't know how accurate that is though! Very encouraged to see all the posts! Thanks
  • wendorfa
    Options
    25.5 - so .5 over the very top of 'healthy' for me. I know it's mostly bogus, but I still want it to say healthy LOL
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Sounds like everyone has no Faith in the BMI scores. I have a scale that calculates my Body fat % and water weight. Don't know how accurate that is though! Very encouraged to see all the posts! Thanks

It's not all that accurate. A mirror and measuring tape work well though. :wink:
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    BMI works better on populations than on individuals. Body fat % is really what you should be aiming for as an individual. And your right body fat % may come at an 'overweight' or 'underweight' BMI.