Need some encouragement bad

Options
I have been overweight or obese most of my life. My life has been made up of lots of failures and the stress had caused me to not be able to lose weight because I overeat to drown my sorrows. But now that I'm nearing my middle age, I just for once want to know how it feels to be "normal weight" and size. I want to finally get in the shape of my life and this is pretty must my last ditch effort. I'm hoping by surrounding myself with people of similar goals, that I will be encouraged to finally succeed. As I have gotten older, I've learned about my body and nutrition. So far, the only problem I see holding me back is stress, portion control and drinking enough water. But, I am motivated and I hope to meet some friends in this forum that I can walk this journey with.

Replies

• Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,534 Member
    Options
    Hi there. My biggest obstacle to losing weight is stress and depression; it is hard to fight for your health when you feel like you are not worth it. I feel like this is my last ditch effort too. I want this to be my last journey because I want it to be the one where I reach my goal!

What do you think would help you the most? I have been trying to figure that out since joining this site yesterday. I was thinking of starting a group to stay motivated, but I need to think about that some more :) In the meantime, I love the support here and am still figuring out what will be best for me to keep me going.

Do you want someone to check in with each day? I could use the same!
  • MissObstinatiox
    MissObstinatiox Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I,m exactly the same i have off days due down to suffering with depression on and off and recently hit a brick wall with my fitness and food.
    I could do with more support to :0)
    Feel free to add me x
  • CeeJourney
    CeeJourney Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Stress and portion control is definitely one of my downfalls! I just rejoined MFPs this week actually and I'm finding so much inspiration and motivation from people in the same boat as myself. I'm on a mission to loose 100+ by May2013 (Thats when I graduate from college). I read alot of the forums/blogs and join alot of challenges which also keep s me motivated! A little friendly compeition ALWAYS helps! YOU CAN DO IT! WE ALL CAN ... WE JUST HAVE TO TAKE IT ONE DAY AT A TIME :heart:
  • belcollege
    Options
    Thanks for your comments. Just having someone to come and talk to whenever should be encouraging enough. I think my biggest obstacle is going to be potion control because although I might do fine for a while, if something depressing happens in my life, there I go. But, I am very encouraged this time. I am not going to think negative, only positive.
  • belcollege
    Options
    We'll make it together this time.
  • belcollege
    Options
    This is so true. My goal is the same, to lose 100 pounds by May. We'll do it together.
  • btanyrober
    Options
    It takes 4 weeks for you to notice a change in your body.
    8 weeks for your friends and family to notice.
    And 12 weeks for the rest of the world to notice.
    Don't give up. You can do it!!
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options
    too have been big all my life, and at times had also used food as a way to drown out the negatives in my life. It's hard. Thankfully you made the first step to changing (well among other stuff). I haven't been here [at least active] for very long, but I can tell you now that this is a great environment for anyone who is serious with the whole weight loss issue. We're always a keyboard away if you need a chat.
  • mailoveschayzen
    Options
    I have been overweight may entire life also and I know exactly what your going through, I have tried multiple times dieting, exercising but nothing worked I stuck at it for a month but saw no results so I stopped and went back to eating poorly and eating way too much, just about 3 weeks ago I told myself that I needed to change when I saw pictures of myself I was pushing 300 the heaviest I've been in my life! I realized it's time! The first thing is making a commitment and knowing what you want you can't look to far ahead I take it day by day take it slow I've been at it for 2 weeks this thursday and lost about 8 pounds since water of course but I'm getting there. I drink water with every meal even when I'm not thirsty I just gulp it down, drink between meals also sometimes you could just be thirsty instead of hungry. Portions use a small plate and fill it don't over lap anything and leave some room between the foods so your still able to see the plate. I'm still learning as I said I'm just beginning I look to the people who have lost more then me for advice and I must say upon stumbling onto MFP I have met some wonderful people who are so supportive and awesome!! It's better to diet with others then alone, first believe in yourself your stronger then you think!! There are so much great people here to help you encourage you and support you!! Good luck I'm here if you ever need anything from one newbie to another!! :)