So not getting it

Options
I am about to ask what i think is a stupid stupid question.

I understand how many calories i should eat in a day, but say for brekkie and lunch i eat really healthy stuff and then dinner i splurge on super creamy carbonara but still stay under my calorie intake goal does it affect anything?

I know cream and bacon and pasta are loaded with calories and some of the ingredients dont offer any nutritional benifit at all but will it set me back, does creamy carbonara turn into fat quicker than say a salad or something healthy?

My homemade carbonara is the one thing i miss most in this dieting world and my issue with it before was portion control but either way its still mega bad for you.

Im just gonna hide my face so i dont see the looks you guys are giving me :(

Replies

• servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    If you stay within your daily cal goals, I don't think there's any reason to deprive yourself.
    Ps can I come over for dinner? lol
  • jonzo21
    jonzo21 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    no question is a stupid question so don't worry :)

I may be wrong as I am no expert at this but I believe as long as you are staying under your calorie intake and eating the good kinds of fat you should still show progress
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    occasionally wont kill ya.

wouldnt eat it nightly
  • Karen_145
    Options
    As long as you're in your calorie allotment you're fine.
  • RonneyKay
    RonneyKay Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    stay within calories, use portion control, dont make it a daily habit, and dont stress about it:)

But I think if you are under calories it should be fine, just also make sure you are getting all your fruits and veg servings in. Yummie.

Good Luck!
    ronney
  • Jennieam
    Jennieam Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest keeping an eye on the amount of "fat" consumed during the day ...
  • rainbobrite929
    Options
    My nutritionist boyfriend says (I'm quoting him here):
    - Breakfast and lunch should be your "biggest meals."
    - No carbs after 3.
    - breakfast should have 2 fruits, 1/2 protein and 1 starch
    - lunch should have 1 fruit, 1 protein, 1 starch and 1 veggie
    - dinner should have 1 protein and 2 veggies
    - 7 - 9 glasses of water
    - 30 minutes of exercise a day (a least 5 days a week)

I've been doing this for about 3 weeks and I'm down 19.5 pounds.
  • anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    It's not just the calories. You should watch calories, fat, carbs, sugars and either protein or sodium (if you have high blood pressure). All of these numbers should be right about at your daily goal. If you are going to splurge you should do it earlier in the day so you have time to wear it off, not your last meal of the day.

You will know if your system works for you or not by how your weight and body fat fluctuate. If you aren't losing, it's not working.
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I say go for it. I always save extra calories for dinner. Just plan for it.
  • appleseeds
    appleseeds Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    In my experience so long as you are getting a wide variety of food (and therefore getting all the nutrients you need) it really wont matter if you are still going to eat creamy pasta etc.

With that in mind, it will probably just make your weight loss a little bit slower.

But honestly - your not going to stick to a diet if you cant eat the foods you really want to eat, and in the end youll just end up binge eating on the foods youve been missing and going way over your calorie limits and then losing motivation.

So eat the pasta,
    Stay under your calorie limit,
    Live with the fact the weight loss might be a little bit slower (its healthier that way anyway)
    and be HAPPY!!!
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your dinner, you've already eaten healthily for breakfast and lunch. :happy:
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Won't hurt a thing
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    There are 2 ways of looking at this sort of issue, pure weight loss vs nutrients. One is that as long as you net less calories than you eat you will lose weight, regardless of what food it is, so carbonara not bad. The other is that you need lots of healthy food to be healthy, so carbonara not good.

Me, I love eating. My doctor said not to feel deprived of treats while losing weight, or else you end up cranky and binge, instead of developing healthy attitudes to food. I factor in treats and eat them on exercise days, so not only are they tasty but they are a reward, doubly tasty. I love carbonara, save me some?
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    - No carbs after 3.
    - 7 - 9 glasses of water

Good for you but you would have seen the same loss with any program that had you at a deficit. These rules are entirely unnecessary.
    To the OP please don't feel the need to restrict yourself like this.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I get the same question whenever I eat a piece of cake or something similar. They will say "Aren't you on a diet?" My answer to them is "Yes, but It doesn't mean I can't eat foods I enjoy. Anything in moderation." I don't eat sweets very often, but if I do, I either exercise more or eat less in other meals.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Strictly speaking about weight loss, as long as you are under your daily calorie allotment, no it won't hurt you. Even if you are over you calorie allotment on one day it won't hurt you. It takes 3500 calories to add a pound, it doens't really matter where those calories come from. So one meal over "on occasion" isn't going to put on pounds.
    You may see a temporary slight upwards movement on the scale as the less healthy meals we choose to consume also tend to contain a lot of sodium, which can cause us to retain water, but it will go away too.

ETA - even if were are looking at "healthy" over just weight loss, an occasional "bad" meal still isn't going to hurt you.

I am not a fan of carbonara but my homemade cheese ravioli is to die for, and not the lightest meal even with a light tomato basil sauce. I enjoy on occasion.
  • sweetxsour35
    Options
    It's okay if you don't do it every day. Maybe you can make a healthier version so you won't feel as bad and can have it more often =)
  • sweetxsour35
    Options
    I get the same question whenever I eat a piece of cake or something similar. They will say "Aren't you on a diet?" My answer to them is "Yes, but It doesn't mean I can't eat foods I enjoy. Anything in moderation." I don't eat sweets very often, but if I do, I either exercise more or eat less in other meals.

This. Just because you are trying to lose weight doesn't mean you can't deny yourself something you enjoy. Heck, I've eaten candy all last week and I still lost weight.
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    - No carbs after 3.
    - 7 - 9 glasses of water

Well *kitten* me my breakfast is a protein shake no fruit no starches and my biggest meals are dinner which happens to be carb loaded. I guess Im doing it all wrong. I will conviene with the Broscience high council on this matter ASAP. Ohh and Unless you are extremely overweight losing 6.5lbs a week isnt good for you<
    Bro fact!
  • MummaAimz
    MummaAimz Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    As long as all of your numbers are within your daily count you should be just fine lovey! Try eating a salad before you eat something like that so you eat less of it and its easier to eat less because you have already filled up with the salad!